Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:30 AM

8 posts, read 10,979 times

Advertisements

can anyone recommend a pediatric neurologist in the Charlotte or Chapel Hill area. I'm willing to go further if they are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 PM

156 posts, read 405,689 times
Dr. Corbier in concord is incredible...truly incredible. We went to several doctors, including one at Duke, and there is no comparison. However, it is really hard to get an appointment with him. Your child's doctor would have to make the referral, and they will review the records and call you with an appointment. They take your child's needs into account when scheduling an appt. If you have the time to wait, he is so worth it.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:09 PM

445 posts, read 1,160,953 times
Dr. Tess Nelson and Dr. Usha Dayal of Carolina Neurological are both top-notch.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:40 AM

thank you both, I tried to get an appointment with Dr. Corbier, however they said he's not accepting anymore new patients.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 AM

Default Very scared mom for childs ENT surgery

I don't know why I feel so scared. I would say nervous, but I literally have the shakes. My child is supposed to have a T&A. I was actually ok at first until I went to see a doctor who told me he's heard very scary stories (why I don't know), bleeding could occur afterwards (which I'm aware of), and mentioned possible death that has happened in other places. Who really wants to hear that right before putting their baby under. So, I definitely decided against him, but now I have the shakes about it. I know I need to get it done because my child is having a hard time breathing and occasionally chokes up at night, which is really scary. I never imagined this decision would be so hard and not wanting to make the wrong decision is scary as well.
I know it may seem crazy to post online, never thought I would.
I'm just hoping someone has some advise, recommendations for ENT's, or share their experiences after their child's T&A. Maybe this is a natural feeling. I just feel I should be at ease about the whole situation going in. After speaking with him, I feel the need to ask the next doc. what type of complications he's had performing T&A's or how many complications. I don't know if that's an inappropriate question to ask, but this is my child so I feel now it might be.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,906,749 times
Dr. Jon Langeford did my son's tubes at 9 months old. I would recommend him. He is in Concord. I know mom's on my mom's board (CentralPiedmontMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community) also have good things to say about him.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,365,037 times
I am not sure of the age of your child. My daughter was 4-1/2 years old when she just had tonsillectomy at Cleveland Clinic.Not to go into details, it did not end up being routine as I would have thought. I had her stay in hospital for a week (for peace of mind) so she could recover under their close care. You might chheck if you can work this out with your hospital or insurance company.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,084,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOKING2234 View Post
I don't know why I feel so scared. I would say nervous, but I literally have the shakes. My child is supposed to have a T&A. I was actually ok at first until I went to see a doctor who told me he's heard very scary stories (why I don't know), bleeding could occur afterwards (which I'm aware of), and mentioned possible death that has happened in other places. Who really wants to hear that right before putting their baby under. So, I definitely decided against him, but now I have the shakes about it. I know I need to get it done because my child is having a hard time breathing and occasionally chokes up at night, which is really scary. I never imagined this decision would be so hard and not wanting to make the wrong decision is scary as well.
I know it may seem crazy to post online, never thought I would.
I'm just hoping someone has some advise, recommendations for ENT's, or share their experiences after their child's T&A. Maybe this is a natural feeling. I just feel I should be at ease about the whole situation going in. After speaking with him, I feel the need to ask the next doc. what type of complications he's had performing T&A's or how many complications. I don't know if that's an inappropriate question to ask, but this is my child so I feel now it might be.
I know nothing of the surgery, but maybe I can help a bit on the overall picture.

When it comes to surgery, I can't think of any inappropriate question to ask of a potential surgeon. You're ignorant about this, like most of us would be, and no one wants to be cut open or see their loved ones cut open, so I think anything you ask is appropriate. A good doctor should understand this.

I think I'm in the extreme minority of people because I haven't had my tonsils out. That surgery seems to be extremely routine, although there are risks associated with any surgery. People die as a result of any medical procedure you can think of. It's a matter of considered risk.

Step back and ask yourself "what would I do if this (your kid) was someone I didn't know?" and go from there. I know it's difficult but take your maternal feelings out of the equation, because frankly, they're going to get in the way of making a good decision. Sounds to me like you need to get this done ASAP. Not breathing isn't a good thing.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 AM

972 posts, read 2,432,557 times
I recommend Dr. Chikes with Charlotte Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat in Concord. My child's T&A was not routine. He did it in the hospital instead of the day surgery location. The results were great.

The doctor who scared you probably didn't mean it that way. They are obligated to make sure you know every little thing that could go wrong. All the warnings stick out and make it hard to hear anything else.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,141,541 times
All the doctors at Charlotte eyes ears nose and throat are top notch. I'd recommend going there. I had a tonsillectomy there last summer at the ripe old age of 38, which is pretty old for a tonsillectomy. I was scared myself, but those guys do a great job of explaining and calming your concerns. There were half a dozen kids in the OR prep room, those guys know why they're doing.

Sure there is a risk of death, but it's small. You are in more danger driving to your appt probably.

Good luck, you and your child will be fine.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte