Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 AM

54 posts, read 151,523 times

Advertisements

Charlotte (and the surrounding metro region) has been and is currently a very popular destination for transplants. As an outsider from the midwest (Ohio), Charlotte is perceived as an attractive place to live because of weather, affordability, diversity, family friendliness, and economic/educational opportunity.

So, here are my questions:
- How accurate is this perception?
- How has the mass influx of northerners and midwesterners affected the region - either good or bad? (this question is for natives)
- Does Charlotte provide what you were seeking in a place to live/raise a family? (this question is for transplants)
- Where can one go in the region to get an "authentic" feel for the local culture?
- And finally, where do you see Charlotte in 5 to 10 years from now - good or bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
I can tell you that as far as cost of living, Charlotte is going to be higher than most places in Ohio. It falls around middle of the pack in regards to cost of living.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick808 View Post
Charlotte (and the surrounding metro region) has been and is currently a very popular destination for transplants. As an outsider from the midwest (Ohio), Charlotte is perceived as an attractive place to live because of weather, affordability, diversity, family friendliness, and economic/educational opportunity.

So, here are my questions:
- How accurate is this perception?
- How has the mass influx of northerners and midwesterners affected the region - either good or bad? (this question is for natives)
- Does Charlotte provide what you were seeking in a place to live/raise a family? (this question is for transplants)
- Where can one go in the region to get an "authentic" feel for the local culture?
- And finally, where do you see Charlotte in 5 to 10 years from now - good or bad?
The thing is, the perception is very accurate.

But, that very fact is what is going to change, and has already changed, the perception.

Charlotte is a New South city, meaning, the majority of folks here are not even southerners anymore.

Of course, it's still a nice city, it's just not what it was 20 years ago or what it will be in 20 more years.

I invite you to come for a visit to check out what the Charlotte of today is, just know that the very things attracting you here are also attracting thousands of others too

Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The thing is, the perception is very accurate.

But, that very fact is what is going to change, and has already changed, the perception.

Charlotte is a New South city, meaning, the majority of folks here are not even southerners anymore.

Of course, it's still a nice city, it's just not what it was 20 years ago or what it will be in 20 more years.

I invite you to come for a visit to check out what the Charlotte of today is, just know that the very things attracting you here are also attracting thousands of others too
Sounds like you're describing the law of "diminishing returns." I visited the town briefly a few months ago for a 2-day conference. I liked the vibe and liked what I saw. I plan to visit the area with my wife in May in hopes of taking a more thorough look at the city and its ammenities.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you're describing the law of "diminishing returns." I visited the town briefly a few months ago for a 2-day conference. I liked the vibe and liked what I saw. I plan to visit the area with my wife in May in hopes of taking a more thorough look at the city and its ammenities.
Great. I think you would find all you are looking for here, as long as you can find a job first

Old 03-14-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Great. I think you would find all you are looking for here, as long as you can find a job first
Oh, of course. I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to move to N.C. without first securing employment (as others here have done).

Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Oh, of course. I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to move to N.C. without first securing employment (as others here have done).
Once you are here and have time, look to explore outlying towns like Statesville, Salisbury, and Kings Mountain to find more of that local culture you asked about.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:54 PM

194 posts, read 430,991 times
My husband and I have been here 1 1/2 years and love it! Bought our first home, both secured great jobs (I did not have a job when I moved here, but we enough saved to live at least a year which is why we did it) and have met some great people. We moved here from Pittsburgh for the great weather and cost of living and that is what we got. My only complaint is yankees....like myself....who move here and want it to be exactly like up North, the point of moving to a different location is for change, so if you are not interested in change you should not move here. I truly hope that it does not loes the southern charm that we see here!! My only complaint is that people SERIOUSLY cant drive, no turn signals, ride my tail, run red lights, I do not know where these people are from, I suspect up North..but not the burg....but they really need to take some driving lessons its so annoying and dangerous!!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma67 View Post
My husband and I have been here 1 1/2 years and love it! Bought our first home, both secured great jobs (I did not have a job when I moved here, but we enough saved to live at least a year which is why we did it) and have met some great people. We moved here from Pittsburgh for the great weather and cost of living and that is what we got. My only complaint is yankees....like myself....who move here and want it to be exactly like up North, the point of moving to a different location is for change, so if you are not interested in change you should not move here. I truly hope that it does not loes the southern charm that we see here!! My only complaint is that people SERIOUSLY cant drive, no turn signals, ride my tail, run red lights, I do not know where these people are from, I suspect up North..but not the burg....but they really need to take some driving lessons its so annoying and dangerous!!
You are my kind of transplant

Old 03-14-2012, 01:21 PM

335 posts, read 699,585 times
One upside of relocating to a "boom-town" where there are alot of other transplants, is that transplants are generally a little more optimistic by nature, as compared to their pessimistic counterparts that tend to stay where they are because they can't see the upside of relocating. This is in no way a knock against CLT locals (the locals are great!); but more of a knock against all the pessimistic do-nothing bumpkins I left behind when I came here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte