Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 AM

495 posts, read 1,077,994 times

Advertisements

Any big city center I've worked in previously has an abundance of quick takeout "street food" type joints where you can get shawarma right off a spit or a falafel wrap, big made-to-order salads topped with grilled meats or tofu and organic ingredients, artisan sandwiches/paninis, wok asian dishes using fresh, local ingredients, etc. The cost of operating a restaurant relative to rent and income in this town is a lot more favorable than other places, so you'd think there's a lot of unmet demand for this type of healthy, tasty grab-and-go food that has culinary merit. Yet, Uptown Charlotte is just full of bars and chains and cholesterol-laden takeout joints like Moe's or Salsaritas or Showmar's, or expense account dining that is too expensive, tired and outdated from a culinary standpoint, and takes too long. How can the 60,000 or whatever number it is of people working downtown stand to eat this stuff every day - and I know they do, because these places are packed. How are their bodies dealing with it? If in California I can get a lentil soup, lamb shawarma plate and hummus that is off the spit and grilled to order for $9 in a high-rent district, surely that stuff can be offered for $7 here and blow everything out of the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:36 AM

221 posts, read 431,308 times
Comparing California to Charlotte...LOL

Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,351 times
*shrugs* No clue, but constantly eating out for lunch everyday is a major money drain. i bring my lunch typically every day, maybe eat out somewhere once every other week.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocNY View Post
Comparing California to Charlotte...LOL
Hey, we have 2.5 million people now, a large component of which came from NYC or other cities where they'd be used to good, fast, healthy and tasty takeout joints. Unless all these folks somehow lost their palates and preferences on the way down here, the free market suggests that supply should meet demand. It certainly has in places a lot smaller than Charlotte in the South (Charleston, Raleigh/Durham). It's not an un-Southern thing either. The idea of whipping up a quick farm-to-table lunch of homemade ingredients is part of the historically and classically South.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,849 times
I hear you Heron. I worked uptown on Tuesday. I didn't bring my lunch with me because I had plans for lunch with some friends. We wound up at Newk's. A chain. I had the black and blue salad. It was alright. Last week I ate at Basil. Delicious but hardly healthy and definitely not cheap. There just aren't good lunch options uptown. Have you Taste, upstairs in Founders Hall? It's run by (mostly) Johnson and Wales students. I had some hits and some misses.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:45 AM

Heron - If you're interested in farm to fork, you should check out Harvest Moon Grille. Not really what you're looking for but it's an option.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:02 AM

184 posts, read 467,391 times
Try these places:

blynk organic
Dean & Deluca
Something Classic
7th Street Public Market - not sure if food vendors have moved in yet. they offer local meats and veggies.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
I hear you Heron. I worked uptown on Tuesday. I didn't bring my lunch with me because I had plans for lunch with some friends. We wound up at Newk's. A chain. I had the black and blue salad. It was alright. Last week I ate at Basil. Delicious but hardly healthy and definitely not cheap. There just aren't good lunch options uptown. Have you Taste, upstairs in Founders Hall? It's run by (mostly) Johnson and Wales students. I had some hits and some misses.
I've basically limited myself to Taste anytime I don't bring my lunch, to be honest. At least they have pretty good made-to-order salads there and sometimes the daily specials are worthwhile. It definitely is hit-or-miss though but at least the quality of ingredients is generally high and I won't become a blimp eating there regularly. It really hit home for me when I took a two-week vacation with the wife and kids and lost 10 pounds just by eating like a normal human (and when do you ever LOSE weight on a vacation?).

Basil is better than a lot of Thai restaurants in the city (which isn't saying much), but the price point is too high for lunch. Yesterday I did beef basil and a spring roll appetizer takeout from there and it ran $18. More than twice the amount that quality and quantity of food should cost at lunchtime.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:14 AM

I almost forgot about Tic-Toc Diner up on 9th Street. I have one friend who always wants to eat there whenever we get together. There or Phil's on 5th. Just 'aight.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:22 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
It's all about portion control. You can eat anywhere and still not gain weight.

Ahh, food snobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte