Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:11 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times

Advertisements

I did my research this way since Nov 06, and before I found this site, it was very difficult as I started the reserach back in June of 06 and it took me that long to find this site, as we were Just Exploring, and we bought in Marvin/Waxhaw and it was the best decision for us, after reading and reading we made the trip down once we narrowed it down to where we wanted to consider...so I have to agree as well, this shouldnt determine whether or not someone should make the move but more for informative information on is this something we want to do kind of thing...from Nov to Dec felt like a lifetime considering our original visit was slated for Feb of 07, however I was so antsy about visiting we changed it packed up the kids during christmas break called our realtor, and came for a visit and well determined we could get used to living here...and the rest is history...and Honestly I was Closed minded and felt ok well we are just going to visit I dont know if im even going to like it, WELL that opened my eyes, and just fell in love with it here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 09:22 AM

58 posts, read 129,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Overall the quality of life is much better than NY and the slower pace is welcomed. Living the cut throat lifestyle gets old after a while.
Only if you can't handle it.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:25 AM

29 posts, read 140,734 times
Wink I will more than happy.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtinax01 View Post
I too, am doing the same research you are doing. I am taking the information that I read here and then going elsewhere to research it some more and asking questions, ect. We are not making life decisions based on the information here, we are using the information here as a starting point to make an informed decision. I would love to compare notes with you if you dont' mind on the avenues that you are using for information. My boyfriend and I are visiting the first week in March and trying to get as much information as possible before our visit so that we know where to spend more time. I am aware that might change when we actually see it and we are very open minded people. Feel free to IM me anytime.
I will be more than happy to exchanged information with you, where are you looking at you can send me an IM at anytime as well!!!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:29 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Frank, you and I agree on a lot of things you post - but I CANNOT let your statement that Charlotte has "awful public schools" stand unchallenged. This is just too broad of a generalization and not completely true.

Charlotte has some awful schools, yes. But Charlotte also has some FANTASTIC public schools. It is just not fair to lump the whole group together like you did when there are more good ones than bad ones. I have seen you make this kind of reference before and don't think it really paints an accurate picture.
But any district that has the best schools in only the wealthiest areas of its system is not a good system in my opinon. Are the some good schools in Charlotte? Yes, if you live in South Park or Ballantyne. Is CMS a good school system? Definitely not.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
But any district that has the best schools in only the wealthiest areas of its system is not a good system in my opinon. Are the some good schools in Charlotte? Yes, if you live in South Park or Ballantyne. Is CMS a good school system? Definitely not.
The problem is that society expects our schools to be able to act as social workers, psychologists and magicians when it comes to the problems of inner city schools. CMS is doing a good job with what it has to deal with. Is there room for improvement? Plenty. But that does not mean this is a bad school system. Too many of the schools are doing very well for you to say the whole system is bad. Yes, we have a problem with our inner city schools - but that is not the sole responsibility, or the fault of the school system.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:30 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_Go_Mets View Post
Only if you can't handle it.

Has nothing to do with not being able to handle it. Like I stated it just got old after a while. If I can raise a family in a better environment, than why not? I saw the opportunity to better my families life and jumped at it. Hey, if you really enjoy NY and you are that die hard than good for you. Wish you the best of luck!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:50 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstrawberries View Post
I no that no city is perfect, but i was wondering besides the probably obvious like traffic, what are the down side of charlotte, and what are the upsides? I don't have any kids, so schools don't really matter to me. I am more concerned with the community and its enviroment, friendly people, places to hang out, etc.

any feedback is welcomed.

Well the upsides are many and I'll have to let others fill you in on the downsides. Perception being relative I would suggest a visit but pending that if you need hard data check out this link -> COST OF Living Calculator

It's fun to play with and can also help you appreciate Charlotte even more!

RE: Housing -> With a lot of the news pointed at the volatility in the market Charlotte continues to perform very well. August reports from Real Trends show Charlotte NC and Raleigh NC, posting 8.4 and 8.3 market growth, respectively. This should bode well for homeowners as well as investors with a solid financial plan.

You may read more in my blog Here (http://www.walidmrealtor.com/Blogs/ - broken link)

Old 09-19-2007, 11:57 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The problem is that society expects our schools to be able to act as social workers, psychologists and magicians when it comes to the problems of inner city schools. CMS is doing a good job with what it has to deal with. Is there room for improvement? Plenty. But that does not mean this is a bad school system. Too many of the schools are doing very well for you to say the whole system is bad. Yes, we have a problem with our inner city schools - but that is not the sole responsibility, or the fault of the school system.
I will respectfully disagree with you that CMS is doing a good job. They haven't handle the issues well enough with what they have and the voters voiced this in the last school bonds vote. I believe this was the first time a school bond vote was defeated in CMS so the citizens are saying "do better before you get more." Are voters always right? Nope, that's why we live in a representative democracy, but I believe they (myslef included at the time) were on this one. They did the right thing by bringing in someone like Gorman, but they need a lot more things done better.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,942 times
Cool Its what u make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstrawberries View Post
I no that no city is perfect, but i was wondering besides the probably obvious like traffic, what are the down side of charlotte, and what are the upsides? I don't have any kids, so schools don't really matter to me. I am more concerned with the community and its enviroment, friendly people, places to hang out, etc.

any feedback is welcomed.

living anywhere is what u make of it. i moved to morganton on a mistake from cahrlotte, now im home sick and cant wait to get back or around. looking at gaston county

Old 09-19-2007, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,942 times
don't know if im doing this right, but here goes living anywhere is what u make it to be. as far as charlotte, its where im originally from and i do miss it. i don't miss the crime but what can u do. i certainly don't miss the traffic. just make the best of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte