U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:47 PM

352 posts, read 477,244 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any suggestions on a Moving Company?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 02:15 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,433,808 times
I have used Hilldrup (part of United Van Lines). They have moved me and my wife two times and we love them. Very professional and organized.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:15 PM

4,730 posts, read 18,456,500 times
Most people use www.twomenandatruck.com and I have only heard one complaint about them. Most people on the SC forum said good thiongs about them too.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:45 PM

628 posts, read 1,951,464 times
Is it a long distance move or short?? From where to where

Old 09-15-2007, 12:55 PM

24 posts, read 79,123 times
we will also be needed help to unload our stuff once we move to huntersville area,so if anyone is capable of helping us unload truck and needs extra $$ let us know and we will let ya know a cpl. weeks beofre we get there.ty kim ps this wont prolly be for about 8 weeks

Old 09-15-2007, 06:51 PM

24 posts, read 79,123 times
for us we only need unloading help we have help here to load up..ty kim xoxo

Old 11-04-2007, 08:20 AM

248 posts, read 698,924 times
Is there a going rate for some of these movers? Do they charge by the "room" or by the kind of furniture being moved?

Insurance?

thanks!

Old 11-04-2007, 08:36 AM

102 posts, read 295,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aag-charlotte View Post
Is there a going rate for some of these movers? Do they charge by the "room" or by the kind of furniture being moved?

Insurance?

thanks!
with all the moving I have done. Usually they will come out for a free estimate. They have like a hand held computer to estimate weight and then plug all the items including amount of boxes estimated to come with a guaranteed figure. Most movers have basic insurance with a pretty high deductible, but you can choose to purchase a little more if there are some precious items. If possible considering your in charlotte move as much of the small items yourself. Leave the beds, appliances, entertainment centers etc... for the movers. At least thats what i plan on doing.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:06 AM

716 posts, read 2,019,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
I have used Hilldrup (part of United Van Lines). They have moved me and my wife two times and we love them. Very professional and organized.
I just used them too on my move from NoVA to Charlotte and they were fantastic on both ends. I highly recommend them as well.

Don't look for movers on the internet, as the cheapest advertised is not always the best, and many times you'll have a very bad experience in exchange. Look up a few movers in the phone book and get them to come out and do a free estimate. Interstate moves should be based on weight.

My typical advice for people looking to move anywhere is check out the forums at Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams. Lots of great tips for long and short distance moves as well as good advice on how not to get ripped off!

Old 11-04-2007, 11:14 AM

3,832 posts, read 6,010,806 times
I needed help unloading and put an ad on Craigslist. I did not keep the number of the guys I used (should have!), but they were GREAT! It was supposed to be $15/hour, but they finished in less than an hour (in the severe early August heat we had). I payed them each $40. The one guy carried my kitchen table top all by his self! And I live in the 3rd floor of an apartment building. They were carrying 3 boxes at a time (and all my boxes were super heavy). Nothing was broken, everything was great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte