U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 PM

446 posts, read 773,400 times

Advertisements

I have a 17 week old Australian Shepherd puppy that we want to get fixed. While my vet is fantastic, they want 262.00 to neuter him and I know that I can get it done safely and much cheaper at a clinic, but I know that word of mouth and recommendations from others is the best way to find a reputable clinic.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:16 PM

8,402 posts, read 22,236,890 times
You could do a search...

but these people are great, and seem to really want to make a difference in the unwanted animals problem:

Spay Neuter Charlotte - High-quality/low-cost spay neuter clinic

Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 PM

Thank you so much! They look like a fantastic place and just what I was looking for!! I've already reserved a slot for my lil guy for May.

I appreciate it!

Sandy

Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,800,460 times
We took our guy to the Charlotte SPCA. It was $65.00, plus $5.00 for meds..

Our vet wanted $334.00.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 AM

821 posts, read 1,691,871 times
Let's not be too hard on the vets, folks. They run practices with overhead, to include rent or mortgage, staff, lights, water, student loans, etc. Yes, some will charge what many will see as an expensive procedure, while the clinics don't necessarily have the costs associated with running a business - and that is what most vet offices are about. Those who own and work for the vet operations have to make a living. Vets we know will help people who are on fixed income or who are unemployed because they care about pets and their owners.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Let's not be too hard on the vets, folks. They run practices with overhead, to include rent or mortgage, staff, lights, water, student loans, etc. Yes, some will charge what many will see as an expensive procedure, while the clinics don't necessarily have the costs associated with running a business - and that is what most vet offices are about. Those who own and work for the vet operations have to make a living. Vets we know will help people who are on fixed income or who are unemployed because they care about pets and their owners.
Clinics have most if not all of the same expenses. I know vets sometimes donate their time to clinics, a few days a month, but clinics still have all the normal business expenses otherwise. If a clinic can do a quality spay/neuter for less than $80 (Humane Shelter included) and keep the doors open, then $250+, which is what I was quoted by numerous vets when I was trying to get 16 kittens fixed, seems a bit high. I went in to a vet near my home, and not only was I not allowed to even speak directly to the vet, but when I asked if we could work out a deal for 7 kittens to be fixed in one day, they just multiplied the single rate times 7. I didn't have nearly $2000 to spend on stray kittens, so I made other arrangements. That vet is a member of Friends of Feral Felines, but that is a tedious, weeks long process when you have 7 kittens, if they even let you in under their rules. I was hoping to find a price structure along those lines with this vet, but couldn't make it work.

One big issue as I see it is that vets are equipped for far more than fixes, and have to pay for all that gear. X-ray machines spring to mind, but I'm sure there is other expensive gear that isn't needed by a fixit clinic.

I'm not knocking all vets, or even the one I referred to. But sometimes ya gotta give a little to get a little. I wonder what the unwanted pets problem would be like if more vets got on the low cost spay/neuter program.

That clinic I posted now has low cost basic vet care as well. Sign up for their emails and they will send notices for those opportunities.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
Thank you so much! They look like a fantastic place and just what I was looking for!! I've already reserved a slot for my lil guy for May.

I appreciate it!

Sandy
One thing I should mention-that clinic is run very efficiently. Do them the courtesy of being early, having whatever paperwork ready, and picking up when you're expected to. I'm sure one reason they can keep their costs down is that they waste little time. I have no doubt the rest of the clinic is run the same way.

They were very nice people to work with. The kitten I brought in had an...incident in his carrier on the way. Without getting into details, I'll just say that if a smell could kill someone, I was near death when I pulled into the parking lot. It was raining, but I left my windows down anyway. They cleaned him and the carrier up perfectly, and even gave him a new blanket for his trip home.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:19 PM

I filled out the form to take him mid May, and they say they will call me back within 24 hours to make the appointment. That way he's 5 months old, and I'll worry a little less.

They sound fantastic...May special is 55.00 for males and microchip is 20, so 75.00 is a wonderful deal. I thought I'd give them a donation of about 20.00 while I was there as well since they're saving me so much money.

I know clinics like that are non profit and need all the help they can get.

Thank you yet again for the info!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
I filled out the form to take him mid May, and they say they will call me back within 24 hours to make the appointment. That way he's 5 months old, and I'll worry a little less.

They sound fantastic...May special is 55.00 for males and microchip is 20, so 75.00 is a wonderful deal. I thought I'd give them a donation of about 20.00 while I was there as well since they're saving me so much money.

I know clinics like that are non profit and need all the help they can get.

Thank you yet again for the info!
That's how it worked when I took a kitten in. You probably spoke to Jacqui, or maybe Cary. They run the show. Let us know how it goes!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:59 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,092,028 times
Humane Society of Charlotte has an excellent neuter/spay clinic. I forget the cost b/c we adopted from them and for $150 we had everything done: vaccs, neutering, etc. Our vet was very impressed with the excellent and neat stitching after our dog's surgery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte