Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2007, 08:13 AM

44 posts, read 257,584 times

Advertisements

my puppy, a Shih Tzu, is having problems. She has a runny nose, is sneezing, and occasionally she sounds as if she is wheezing, or something of the sort. I'm not sure if it is allergies, or a respiratory infection. We don't have a vet for her yet, so my question is: If anyone in Charlotte has had a dog with these problems, what is an approximation of the vet cost? We're very worried, but if it's just a doggy cold or something non serious that doesn't require a vet, we don't want to take her yet because we don't have the extra money!

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 09:04 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,969 times
The symptoms presented can be caused by a lot. How old is your dog and has he/she ever had allergies previously?

Even if it's just allergies, they can suffer miserably without meds.. As for the costs, that's a tough call without knowing what the illlness is and medication is needed. In my state an office visit is $25.00-$45.00 depending on the vet, medications $10.00-$70.00 or more. But, at the very least, just take him/her to the vet for an examination.

Good luck.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Being it is a puppy I would get that pup to a vet ASAP!!!!!!!!

It could be developing Parvo
thats a very sad cruel way to go.

Read this website be very aware of it's symptoms
Parvo FAQs

Old 09-16-2007, 10:56 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,395 times
I don't have any advice, but I just want to say I really hope your puppy is well soon!!

Old 09-16-2007, 03:07 PM

182 posts, read 825,051 times
She might possibly have kennel cough- KEEP away from other animals in the house (including cats) and please, also away from your neighbors until you see a vet. Make that appt ASAP!
Post the outcome....I'm sure all will be wondering the end result.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:29 PM

230 posts, read 578,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herewecome View Post
my puppy, a Shih Tzu, is having problems. She has a runny nose, is sneezing, and occasionally she sounds as if she is wheezing, or something of the sort. I'm not sure if it is allergies, or a respiratory infection. We don't have a vet for her yet, so my question is: If anyone in Charlotte has had a dog with these problems, what is an approximation of the vet cost? We're very worried, but if it's just a doggy cold or something non serious that doesn't require a vet, we don't want to take her yet because we don't have the extra money!

Please help!
Small dogs might get it a lot. yes sometimes those symptoms are allergies from dust(!).
We did not have rain in a very long time, so the air was or is very dry. Try a humidifier and of course go see a VET!

Old 09-16-2007, 04:15 PM

396 posts, read 1,630,999 times
We just had to take our little pooch in for what looks to be allergies. I took her to Mercy Animal Hospital in Indian Trail at the recommendation of a neighbor. Great office. The office call was only $36 and then we purchased some medicine. Hope your puppy gets better. It's always tough that they can't just tell you what's wrong.....sort of like having a newborn. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:17 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,298 times
There are all sorts of emergency vets too if you need to go after hours, because it conflicts with your work scheduled.

I had 2 shih tzu's and they were little money pits. They had allergies, kidney stones, back trauma, etc. Then the haircuts kept us broke. We eventually had to relocate them back to NY when we couldn't keep them and our newborn happy. Sorry, baby wins over poochies.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:26 PM

44 posts, read 257,584 times
I'm going to call some vet offices tomorrow and see if any are accepting new clients. I have a friend in Virginia who is going to overnight her antibiotics, so atleast I won't have to buy those! But thank you all for the advice! (The office cost is lower than I thought!)

Also, today she had problems "relieving" herself. She tried and tried and it was very hard for her to do it. After she finally did, it was stuck to her and I had to wash her bottom. This isn't related to the previous problems, right?

I love her very much, and it hurts me to see her go through this. I'm off to the vet as soon as possible tomorrow morning!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: