U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 04:59 AM

35,883 posts, read 71,624,834 times

Advertisements

Charlotte's crime has spiked an eye-brow raising 12%.

With the DNC Convention only months away, CMPD struggles to explain the increase in criminal activity.

Charlotte crime rate spikes 12 percent in first quarter of 2012 - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 06:39 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,346,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Charlotte's crime has spiked an eye-brow raising 12%.

With the DNC Convention only months away, CMPD struggles to explain the increase in criminal activity.

Charlotte crime rate spikes 12 percent in first quarter of 2012 - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
Naturally, why would the CMPD tell the truth? Parts of Charlotte are turning into South Chicago. It's been brewing for some time now. This is not the 1960's where groups were needing to be protected. We live in current times where these groups have taken advantage of "help". They expect it and they feel as if they are entitled to it. With all the extra time on their hands (no jobs or education needed....) they commit mayhem.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:44 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,608,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Naturally, why would the CMPD tell the truth? Parts of Charlotte are turning into South Chicago. It's been brewing for some time now. This is not the 1960's where groups were needing to be protected. We live in current times where these groups have taken advantage of "help". They expect it and they feel as if they are entitled to it. With all the extra time on their hands (no jobs or education needed....) they commit mayhem.
Do you have a suggestion for improvement, or are you just looking for a place to vent your racism?

Old 04-28-2012, 07:03 AM

152 posts, read 271,026 times
Is it racism?? It's a stat concerning crime and those who perpetrate the crimes. Time to forget about pc and get to the issues at hand!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
Is it racism?? It's a stat concerning crime and those who perpetrate the crimes. Time to forget about pc and get to the issues at hand!
The stat isn't racism. ClevelandMike's comment is. The issue at hand is crime and combating it. Not bitching about "certain groups."

Old 04-28-2012, 07:08 AM

What if the majority of crime committed in Charlotte is done by a particular group?? What then??

Old 04-28-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
What if the majority of crime committed in Charlotte is done by a particular group?? What then??
The tactics the police would need to use to combat crime are the same regardless of the color of the criminals. It doesn't do a bit of good to complain about a group of people. It just distracts from the actual issue.

What does more to help the situation - Petitioning the police to do more patrols and make more arrests or shouting "Waaa. Black people. Waaa."?

Old 04-28-2012, 07:21 AM

Did I say black people?? Obviously, you are knowledgable as to who commits the majority of crime in Charlotte.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Did I say black people?? Obviously, you are knowledgable as to who commits the majority of crime in Charlotte.
It is pretty obvious who ClevelandMike was referring to and what you were implying as well. Don't try to get cute.

The majority of crimes are committed by a certain group - criminals.

If you want to get into a discussion about what racial group commits the most crime, you also have to get into a discussion about what racial group is the most likely to be victimized be crime. One and the same. So, bitching about said racial group does nothing to help the problem. It only makes it worse. Does that have to be spelled out for you?

Old 04-28-2012, 07:34 AM

35,883 posts, read 71,624,834 times
What can be done, really?

Are the crimes being committed by repeat offenders? Are most of them even solved (in other words, do we know, with certainty, how many crimes are committed by repeat offenders).

If the majority of crimes are committed by repeat offenders, then why are they in our communities?

CMPD is not responsible for the crime rate. Criminals are responsible for the crime rate. Courts are responsible for letting repeat offenders back out into the community.

When I hear folks pointing out the obvious about the percentage of criminals who are black, I don't think they are necessarily racists. Rather, I think they are frustrated that the black community harbors these perps, refuses to turn them over to authorities. I, personally, can understand why folks don't want to get involved, b/c I would definitely be worried about retribution and revenge to me and my family.

I don't think it is helpful to look at crime as a race issue, but I certainly can see why everyone, regardless of their own race, would be discouraged that we continually see footage of black males in hoodies on video footage. It is what it is. No one is perpetuating a stereotype or being biased. Most of the crime in this city is committed by black males.

Are you going to say that is not the truth?

ETA: Insofar as community involvement could possibly help lead to arrests, then it is valid to ask why the black community is harboring criminals. If that is b/c of fear (and that would seem logical) then we, as a community, should be looking at how to protect folks who would step forward if they knew their families would not pay the price for simply being good citizens.

Last edited by brokensky; 04-28-2012 at 07:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte