Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I've heard Steve Martin is a very talented musician.
Who would have thunk it, lol??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 PM

468 posts, read 826,639 times
Loves, according to her web site, Sierra will be in Charlotte at the Evening Muse on May 5th.

Sierra Hull – Daybreak: singer, songwriter, mandolin player who fronts the band Sierra Hull & Highway 111: Home

That figures! I will be just leaving Alabama late that afternoon.

Anyway, Sierra's singing reminds me of Alison Krauss and I am just madly in love with Alison. lol

Both are wonderful musicians.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
Loves, according to her web site, Sierra will be in Charlotte at the Evening Muse on May 5th.

Sierra Hull – Daybreak: singer, songwriter, mandolin player who fronts the band Sierra Hull & Highway 111: Home

That figures! I will be just leaving Alabama late that afternoon.

Anyway, Sierra's singing reminds me of Alison Krauss and I am just madly in love with Alison. lol

Both are wonderful musicians.
Well, Alison Krauss has been her mentor, so that makes sense

Keep following her website, you'll get to one of her performances one of these days, and be so glad you did

Love this old video of her at Merle Fest when she was just 10 years old:

Sierra Hull e Sam Bush - YouTube

Old 04-29-2012, 04:23 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,862 times
I am a big Sierra Hull fan, but I will not be around to see her either at Houstonfest (I went last year) or the Evening Muse (also went last time)... I am really bummed. Did you see her accompanying Allison Krauss at the White House a few months ago? ya... Sierra Hull Saturday night and Patrick Davis Friday night... I am missing 2 of my favorites that weekend.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I am a big Sierra Hull fan, but I will not be around to see her either at Houstonfest (I went last year) or the Evening Muse (also went last time)... I am really bummed. Did you see her accompanying Allison Krauss at the White House a few months ago? ya... Sierra Hull Saturday night and Patrick Davis Friday night... I am missing 2 of my favorites that weekend.
Oh man, it's so true...in life time is everything, lol.

Sorry you'll be missing out on such great shows!

I have met Sierra twice now and have been so impressed with this young almost 21 year old. When she wins her first Grammy I'll be able to say, "I sure saw that coming!"

Old 04-30-2012, 06:39 AM

416 posts, read 927,880 times
I've been going for the past 5 years or so and the Friday lineup was as good a day as I can remember.

I started off with Doc at the Traditional Tent. Doc is 89 now, so you'd expect a dropoff, but the difference between seeing him last year at the Traditional and this year was pretty big. Having a lot of memory issues, but its still amazing to see an 89 year old blind man pick a guitar.

Went over to see The Steel Wheels next at the Americana Stage. First time seeing them. Really liked them.

Went over to see the Kruger Brothers at Creekside after that. The Krugers might be my favorite group out there. They were great, as usual.

Followed that with lunch, and then back to Americana for the Lost Bayou Ramblers. Enjoyed the set, but cajun music all kind of sounds alike to me, so I left a little early.

Watched Steep Canyon Rangers at the Watson Stage next. SCR might be the most talented bluegrass band out there now. Gives hope to the future of the genre since they are so young. Their new album is amazing. They put on a great performance.

After that, back to Americana for The Waybacks. Enjoyed that. Doesn't get better than Nash on guitar.

Got some dinner, and then stayed at the Watson Stage for the end of the Cowan set, Bela Fleck, and Sam Bush.

Cowan - Good to hear the Doobie Bros tunes. Enjoyed that.

Bela Fleck - I really enjoyed it but you could tell it was not most people's cup of tea. I think people see a banjo and expect a bluegrass sound and Bela is more jazz/funk. I enjoyed it and checked his group off my list of bands I'd like to see someday.

Sam Bush - Highlight of my day. Amazing set. Particularly the finish with the Trucks band. "Gimme Shelter" cover was incredible. I was hoping he'd reunite Newgrass Revival, and Bush didn't disappoint as he brought Cowan and Fleck up for "Cripple Creek".

Friday was so good that I decided not to go back Saturday. Lineup just didn't impress as much. I would have liked to have seen Sierra Hull again, the Hillside Album Hour, and The Punch Brothers, but top to bottom, the lineup couldn't touch Friday. Maybe I'm getting old (I'm only 33), but I'd like to see them move the Hillside Album Hour to the Watson Stage. Hillside is too crowded for the event and its probably the most uncomfortable venue there (lacks shade, steep hill, and you are basically sitting on rocks/clay).

Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
I've been going for the past 5 years or so and the Friday lineup was as good a day as I can remember.

I started off with Doc at the Traditional Tent. Doc is 89 now, so you'd expect a dropoff, but the difference between seeing him last year at the Traditional and this year was pretty big. Having a lot of memory issues, but its still amazing to see an 89 year old blind man pick a guitar.

Went over to see The Steel Wheels next at the Americana Stage. First time seeing them. Really liked them.

Went over to see the Kruger Brothers at Creekside after that. The Krugers might be my favorite group out there. They were great, as usual.

Followed that with lunch, and then back to Americana for the Lost Bayou Ramblers. Enjoyed the set, but cajun music all kind of sounds alike to me, so I left a little early.

Watched Steep Canyon Rangers at the Watson Stage next. SCR might be the most talented bluegrass band out there now. Gives hope to the future of the genre since they are so young. Their new album is amazing. They put on a great performance.

After that, back to Americana for The Waybacks. Enjoyed that. Doesn't get better than Nash on guitar.

Got some dinner, and then stayed at the Watson Stage for the end of the Cowan set, Bela Fleck, and Sam Bush.

Cowan - Good to hear the Doobie Bros tunes. Enjoyed that.

Bela Fleck - I really enjoyed it but you could tell it was not most people's cup of tea. I think people see a banjo and expect a bluegrass sound and Bela is more jazz/funk. I enjoyed it and checked his group off my list of bands I'd like to see someday.

Sam Bush - Highlight of my day. Amazing set. Particularly the finish with the Trucks band. "Gimme Shelter" cover was incredible. I was hoping he'd reunite Newgrass Revival, and Bush didn't disappoint as he brought Cowan and Fleck up for "Cripple Creek".

Friday was so good that I decided not to go back Saturday. Lineup just didn't impress as much. I would have liked to have seen Sierra Hull again, the Hillside Album Hour, and The Punch Brothers, but top to bottom, the lineup couldn't touch Friday. Maybe I'm getting old (I'm only 33), but I'd like to see them move the Hillside Album Hour to the Watson Stage. Hillside is too crowded for the event and its probably the most uncomfortable venue there (lacks shade, steep hill, and you are basically sitting on rocks/clay).

Wow! Great review Gumbo!!!

We were in all the same places Friday! But unlike you, Bela Fleck and Flecktones were the highlight for me - they were AWESOME

The truly wonderful thing at Merle Fest is all the nonstop music everywhere you turn

Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 AM

416 posts, read 927,880 times
loves - If you haven't already, check out the documentary Fleck did "Throw Down Your Heart". Its on Netflix if you have their streaming service. He traces the banjo back to Africa and goes there to play with a wide range of musicians.

Future Man kind of confused the crowd I was with. The drumitar and pirate hat caused a lot of confusion. I thought the set was great. Really enjoyed the "Amazing Grace" breakdown on the harmonica.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,923 times
Thanks for all this talk! The last time I went to MerleFest was about 17 years ago. I loved that festival, and have wanted to make it back, but each year, other things took priority.

I really wish I had seen Bela! Especially since it was the original lineup; I've missed Howard Levy since he stepped back from touring. I first saw him a little over 20 years ago, he came and performed at a friend's mountain party, just outside Boone. Great memories.

The last time I went to MerleFest, Alison Krauss performed. It was dark and cold, and my son and I were wrapped up in blankets. I was considering heading back to the tent, then there was this beautiful, clear voice... We stayed 'til she was done, my son sleeping in my lap. {sigh} So, reading about it is quite wonderful, I'm glad you started the thread!

This doesn't show off Steve Martin's banjo talents, but I so enjoy this song! I couldn't sleep one night, flipped on the TV, and there he was, performing with the Steep Canyon Rangers, on Austin City Limits. This song tickled me so much - and this performance was filmed at MerleFest!

Steve Martin w/ Steep Canyon Rangers "Atheists Have No Song" - YouTube

Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 AM

564 posts, read 1,453,848 times
I have been to Merle Fest a few times and it is always a great show. I have seen Doc perform several times and it is always a great time. On the topic of Bluegrass there is a local Lancaster group of 4 sisters called the Hinsons. These girls are amazing and have been winning awards all over. I am sure they will play the Strawberry Festival in Fort Mill next weekend. If you get a chance check them out.

The Hinson Girls - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte