Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:18 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
So if a majority of Americans vote to repeal that amendment to the Constitution, thereby taking away the right of women to vote, you're ok with that because a majority will have expressed their voice to do so?
We all hold the right to have our thoughts, opinions and beliefs. We hold them sacred, or at least I know I do. But in this country right now, how these types of things are determined is by vote. Not all of us are going to agree on everything and come to a consensus that is why we vote. It is not about whether or not "I am ok" with something.

There are plenty of things that go on in this nation that I am not happy with/about, some I am down right angry over and not only do I have the freedom of speech to express that but I also have the right to vote.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
We all hold the right to have our thoughts, opinions and beliefs. We hold them sacred, or at least I know I do. But in this country right now, how these types of things are determined is by vote. Not all of us are going to agree on everything and come to a consensus that is why we vote. It is not about whether or not "I am ok" with something.

There are plenty of things that go on in this nation that I am not happy with/about, some I am down right angry over and not only do I have the freedom of speech to express that but I also have the right to vote.
Sorry, but you don't have the right to vote on other people's rights. We've been through this song and dance before. This will be struck down by the courts or removed by a subsequent legislature. If not, hopefully it will be put to a popular vote in 20 years and will be voted out that way.

It is nothing but a waste of time. Something to fire up the base of the Republican Party. It's amazing that the poor evangelical "Christians" can't see that they're being exploited here.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:41 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Sorry, but you don't have the right to vote on other people's rights. We've been through this song and dance before. This will be struck down by the courts or removed by a subsequent legislature. If not, hopefully it will be put to a popular vote in 20 years and will be voted out that way.

It is nothing but a waste of time. Something to fire up the base of the Republican Party. It's amazing that the poor evangelical "Christians" can't see that they're being exploited here.
But wait, you can not vote on another's rights...nothing but talking out of both sides of your mouth.

But as an aside, I am not a "republican" nor am I a "poor evangelical christian" and no, I am not being exploited. Thanks for your concern though.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:05 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
Quote:
But wait, you can not vote on another's rights...nothing but talking out of both sides of your mouth.
This is how our legal system works. There are sets of checks and balances and sometimes it doesn't appear all that consistent. The interpretation of the 14th Amendment will likely come to bear on this issue at the national stage at some point, just like it did 50-60 years ago when the Southern states had the same type of Amendments prohibiting interracial marriage and voting restrictions on blacks. In Loving v. Virginia, the Supreme Court ended bans on interracial marriage. There was no vote taken.

You grasp at straws as the world evolves.

Quote:
But as an aside, I am not a "republican" nor am I a "poor evangelical christian" and no, I am not being exploited. Thanks for your concern though.
"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ," Gandhi .

Old 05-08-2012, 01:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
How many things are just wrong about this?

Just to Clarify for those who felt this thread going off topic.

Members are discussing there many ways this Amendment which is also the discussion since the OP states that there is many things wrong with this.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ," Gandhi .
Coped, I ask with sincerity: why is this matter so personal to you?

Can't people have a simple disagreement without it getting so personal?

Has a Christian ever done anything that you do approve of, or like? Or is it just their judgements that you dislike?

Can someone form an opinion independently, without "being manipulated"?

Old 05-08-2012, 03:19 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Regarding Amendment One:

How will this bill prevent companies from providing benefits to those involved in domestic partnerships?

So you know, while I support the theme of marriage as a union between one man and one woman, with equal fervency do I not support any measure that might regulate what a businessperson can and cannot do - including providing health benefits for those involved in domestic partnerships.

Why I support Amendment One:

Very simply, birth currently confers the Parent/Child relationship.

Because homosexual couples cannot produce offspring on their own, homosexual marriage will nullify the natural bond/relationship that a Parent/Child have - thereby conferring (or replacing) the natural bond/relationship between Parent/Child, with the State.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:34 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Regarding Amendment One:

Very simply, birth currently confers the Parent/Child relationship.

Because homosexual couples cannot produce offspring on their own, homosexual marriage will nullify the natural bond/relationship that a Parent/Child have - thereby conferring (or replacing) the natural bond/relationship between Parent/Child, with the State.
*deep breath*
*head exploding*

So...you're anti-adoption too then, huh.

*deep breath*

Old 05-08-2012, 03:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
It will not effect business for now after this passes but it will not be long before it does it gives judges right to deny.

Quote:
Sec. 6. Marriage.
Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State. This section does not prohibit a private party from entering into contracts with another private party; nor does this section prohibit courts from adjudicating the rights of private parties pursuant to such contracts.
When it does pass goverment domestic partership un married employees straight or gay will loose their benefits.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:55 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
What company gives benefits to an unmarried person's other half whether straight or gay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte