Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
If you want to use inflammatory language ( ie homophobes) and call anyone who believes in the bible a bigot, (which is what you are doing) that's your perogative....
I didnt bring anything about the bible which there should be separation of church and state anyway.

Point is this state already has a law defining marriage is between one man and one woman so there is no need for an amendment. Except this amendment also bans civil unions.
So those in favor are homophobes since they fear gay people.
This amendment would void gay domestic partnership benefits offered by Mecklenburg county, Durham, Durham County, Orange County, and Greensboro. It would void domestic partnerships offered to straight and gays in Asheville, Carrboro, and Chapel Hill.

If this amendment fails nothing changes due North Carolina already has laws already define by DOMA.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-02-2012 at 05:49 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,653,737 times
Quote:
If you want to use inflammatory language ( ie homophobes) and call anyone who believes in the bible a bigot, (which is what you are doing) that's your perogative....
Sunny didn't mention the Bible. I have gay Christian friends, who believe in the Bible and are against the amendment. I have straight Christian friends, who also believe in the Bible and are fully AGAINST this hateful, divisive amendment. You paint a narrow picture of what what belief in the Bible means.

I *almost* posted the video to facebook, saying "If you're for amendment one, you are aligning yourself with this guy" but I didn't want the d**n thing to get any more hits.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I didnt bring anything about the bible which there should be separation of church and state anyway.

Point is this state already has a law defining marriage is between one man and one woman so there is no need for an amendment. Except this amendment also bans civil unions.
So those in favor are homophobes since they fear gay people.
This amendment would void gay domestic partnership benefits offered by Mecklenburg county, Durham, Durham County, Orange County, and Greensboro. It would void domestic partnerships offered to straight and gays in Asheville, Carrboro, and Chapel Hill.

If this amendment fails nothing changes due North Carolina a lready has laws already define by DOMA.
There are alot of people who feel they shouldnt be paying benefits to people engaged in domestic partnerships (other than one man and woman who are merried). If you disagree w that it is your right just like they have the right to feel that way.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:

It has nothing to do with "believing in the bible." People have a right to belive whatever they want, on a personal level. But to actively push forward a law designed to remove / deny rights to a group of people (essentially making them second-class citizens) because they have a different belief system is bigotry - pure and simple.

If it is ok to pass this amendment, then I guess it is also ok to repeal women's suffrage in the state of NC. Or designate, by law, separate seating in the back of the bus for negros.

Quote:
You can be for or against w/a legitimate reason,
I have yet to see one "legitimate reason" to be "for" Amendment 1. In fact, I would love to hear someone articulate even one valid reason for doing so. "Preservation of marriage," and, "because god says so," are NOT legitimate reasons. Those reasons may be valid for informing a personal belief system, but not for forcing that belief system on everyone else.

All that said - this guy is a moron...and I would feel the same if he had taken a shot at a sign promoting the other side.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:25 AM

103 posts, read 144,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
He representative of all the homophobes who are for this amendment that serves no purpose except to discriminate.

That's not true at all. I know plenty of people who are voting yes for this amendment who have never even owned a shotgun.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:12 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Quote:
lol, this is turning into a standard defense for the right. accuse anyone who disagrees with them of resorting to ad hominem. it helps turn attention from the *actual* issue, which is the denial of basic human rights to individuals based on interpretation of scripture.

Every few days I hear the right switching tactics on how to defend this thinly-veiled hate legislation. First it was "to protect the sanctity of marriage" (then it was pointed out that heterosexuals are involved in 100% of the divorce cases and adultery cases in NC and haven't been doing such a good job of protecting the "sanctity"). Then it was "to define marriage as between one man and one woman" (then it was pointed out that it is already defined that way on the lawbooks in NC). Next it was classified as a "proactive, protective measure to stop a radical judge or legislative body from *gasp* allowing homosexual unions (try to ignore the fact that the only people talking about gay marriage in NC are the Republicans, who are trying the very definition of "dirty politics" by slipping in the totally unneeded amendment in a primary where the democrat candidate is a given).

But let's talk about the *REAL* reason the Pubs are doing this. It's based on an interpretation of the Bible. In a country where separation of Church and State is mandated. In a country where all me are supposedly created equal and deserve equal opportunities to pursue life, liberty and happiness. It's always a trip to hear a GOP'er in one breath decry Islamic Sharia law in one breath, and turn around with the next breath to decry "hum-uh-secks-ya" marriage based on their religious code.

And above all, this is bad for the image of NC. In these trying economic times, why anyone would try to pass legislation that makes our state look backward and parochial is a mystery to me. To me, feeding my family ranks infinitely higher than bothering to define some other persons marriage.

And spare me about protecting families. My wife is a counselor and I have heard countless tales of horrible families and children in miserable conditions... children with HETERO parents. Parents who aren't any more qualified to be parents just because they can **** and have a child.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:20 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,719 times
He should have set it on fire after shooting it.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:31 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
He should have set it on fire after shooting it.
I see your true colors ... true colors. And that's why I love ya, Mike. (I don't mean that in a gay way, or do I?) You do Cleveland proud what with your constant stream of sub-literate proclamations.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
Quote:
Sunny, I wouldn't go that far.

You can be for or against w/a legitimate reason, and not act like a piece of trash like this guy.

Look at some people who are defending trayvon martin and are inciting violence. They took it too far and are idiots....you can make a case for both sides but how you go about doing it is what we are talking about.
There are no legitimate reason to support this amendment. None. If you don't believe in gay marriage, don't get gay married.

The Bible is not a public policy document. Certainly not Leviticus, where homosexuality is condemned. This book also includes bans on shellfish, working on the Sabbath, and the stoning of rebellious teenagers and non-virgin brides.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Don't get gay married...LOL

Why are some people so concerned with stopping others from being happy or should I say unhappy if you look at divorce rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte