U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 03:51 PM

693 posts, read 2,061,450 times

Advertisements

I hope that nobody takes any offense to this question, although in my experience whenever one feels it is necessary to say that... its because it will undoubtedly tick someone off... but at least you will know that wasn't my intention.

I have lived in South Florida where (some) women can be downright narcissistic when it comes to their looks, diet and exercise, and tended to be thinner than their counterparts elsewhere. I chalked that up to having to wear shorts all year. I have also lived in the Poconos of PA, where health, exercise and looks seemed to take a smaller role in women's lives. Now I am in NJ, and notice that the focus is trendy hair, makeup and clothes rather than health and exercise.

Would you say that women in Charlotte and the surrounding suburbs are health and body (diet) conscious? Would you say they are more or less so than other places you may have been? Do the restaurants easily make substitutions for those who are dieting? Do fad diets get a lot of attention there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 04:02 PM

3,363 posts, read 9,501,699 times
Not sure about diety but if you count the tanning & nail places around here, they really care about there looks

Old 09-18-2007, 07:02 PM

170 posts, read 613,432 times
flyingscotsman is right, tanning salons, hair salons, nail shops, spas, and plastic surgeons abound here...

fashion seems to be popular in and around central Charlotte proper...see South Park Mall.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:04 PM

693 posts, read 2,061,450 times
So, would you say women are not as diet & exercise/ health conscious as they might be in other locations?

Old 09-19-2007, 02:22 PM

20 posts, read 70,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
So, would you say women are not as diet & exercise/ health conscious as they might be in other locations?
I personally would not say that at all!!! I live in the Ballantyne area and I can tell you that the Parkway always has runners, walkers and/or bikers somewhere along the path...including myself! I'm originally a "philly" girl, moved to DE, moved to CLT...I love it here and I've only been here a few months. I think the most important thing to remember is this...be comfortable in your own skin (and clothes, and hair and nails, etc.). It doesn't really matter where you go...someone's going to look at your sideways because you talk different, look different or act different. So, be true to yourself! I know I probably look a little different (but I like that I'm unique)...and I definitely talk different (sorry...that's the Philly in me!)...but in the end...as long as I like me and I feel confident about me...that's what everyone else will see and like/love too. And for those who don't...they would have talked about you anyway...even if you looked JUST LIKE THEM!

Old 09-19-2007, 03:37 PM

494 posts, read 1,261,443 times
I am from Boston and the women here seem to be very conscious about diet & exercise! Most women that I know in South Charlotte seem to be very fit. Just check out any fitness center on any given day it is jam packed. The climate here also is so that you can easily take a walk or run outside 9 months out of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>