Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM

12 posts, read 18,699 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of building a new home in a very nice community in Cabarrus county- great school district too. The subdivision has homes priced well over $300-$400k. There is a brand new community within this subdivision at a much lower price point- $150k-$170k. These are nice homes too (not brick of course), same great schools and same amenities shared with the much nicer homes. Is there any disadvantage to being in the lower priced section?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,032,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2charlotte View Post
My husband and I are thinking of building a new home in a very nice community in Cabarrus county- great school district too. The subdivision has homes priced well over $300-$400k. There is a brand new community within this subdivision at a much lower price point- $150k-$170k. These are nice homes too (not brick of course), same great schools and same amenities shared with the much nicer homes. Is there any disadvantage to being in the lower priced section?
The people in the bigger houses might thumb their noses at you and, if you share an HOA, any problems might be blamed on your section.

Have you looked into the history of the lower-priced section? Was there opposition from the people in the more expensive neighborhood. If there was, you might be in for some contentious HOA issues.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,897,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2charlotte View Post
This is actually the best position to be in on resale

Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,979,452 times
I think that I may know the subdivision you are talking about. You would be apart of the subdivision just like the other homes even though you would be in the 4th village. I don't think there would be a down side to it at all.

If it's the same neighborhood I haven't heard any opposition at all (I think the homeowners always knew that eventually this village would be going in at some point). The HOA hasn't been turned over to the homeowners yet either.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,628,792 times
That is a dream situation. You don't have restrictions on first floor square footage? Go for it!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 PM

6,645 posts, read 7,389,574 times
The home in a village of similarly priced homes should not be a problem as long as the life style of the residents in the more expensive villages do not temp you to try and keep up with the Jones. I think I would go for it.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 AM

642 posts, read 1,172,815 times
This is all positive. The percentile gain for resale should be marginally higher with what you are planning due to the up-market nature of the rest of the subdivision.

If this subdivision is where I think it is, I have looked there too but decided against 'cuz I do not want to build yet another new house.

The classic real estate saying for pre-owned houses in this situation is "The worst house in the best area will yield the greatest profit once renovated." This wil not be entirely true in your case but aside fromn the already mentioned HOA fees and some possibly stuck up neighbors, you should be on a winner here.

Go for it.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,377,725 times
It's the opposite that you need to avoid.... Being the highest priced in a division. Prices get pulled towards the average, so being below is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte