U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:41 PM

14 posts, read 74,883 times

Advertisements

Moved to Indian Trail about 4 months ago and have been working the typical 9-5 job. I am a guy, 25, and haven't really had much of a social life since relocating here. I admit though, having a big social life really isn't that important to me, but I am interested in meeting single women. Don't get me wrong, I am pretty content with life, but would like something a little more.

What kind of places or events would cater to meeting women in Charlotte? I'd prefer staying away from the uptown bar scene, but am not opposed to alcohol/bars. I've never checked out southend/plaza midwood because going alone to bars seemed a bit creepy. I do attend church, but going for reasons other than meeting someone. At the moment, I do not have time for the group things such as Carolina Outdoor Adventures. Alive after 5 and stonecrest music is really the only two events I know of, but again, everyone seems to go in large groups and I am here alone so it just feels strange. Any ideas? Oh, not doing online dating. Tried it.. wasn't pleased.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 05:44 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,668,163 times
Move from Indian Trail. Suburbia is where you go AFTER you meet a woman and have kids, lol.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:47 PM

Already bought a house I didn't know it was this bland. I am closer to the Monroe side.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:53 PM

The best advice I can give you is to develop and nurture friendships wherever you can. Work, church, the gym, in your neighborhood... You have to develop some social network to start meeting new people.

You can't just throw yourself at your work, go home and sit in front of the tv or computer and expect to get what you want socially (not that you are doing that). Take up biking, or meet up with a social group, or volunteer somewhere, take up a new hobby, go to the park regularly, you have to do something though!

What are you interested in?

Old 05-21-2012, 05:55 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,444,912 times
How about something like eHarmony?

Old 05-21-2012, 05:56 PM

I know :/ That was why I was asking about some of the events that Charlotte and surrounding areas have.. kind of like Alive after 5. Something with live music or entertainment. I don't know. Just trying to get an idea of some places to go.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex753 View Post
I know :/ That was why I was asking about some of the events that Charlotte and surrounding areas have.. kind of like Alive after 5. Something with live music or entertainment. I don't know. Just trying to get an idea of some places to go.
Don't just show up alone and troll for women... That seems at least a little desperate if not downright creepy.

But if you must...
Thursday nights are a big night for a lot of bars and pubs. I'm not a big club type guy, so I prefer the places with music and pool or ping pong and patios. Go out, have some liquid courage and see what you can muster. Thursdays have crowds, but it tends to be a little less hectic than Friday/Saturday.

I'd stick to bars and avoid the large festival type stuff, at least at a pub you can see the same people over and over and eventually find a way to horn in on a conversation. Everything is easier with a wingman though (just make sure you're better looking though, lol).

Old 05-21-2012, 06:07 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,367,446 times
Do something like looking up a charlotte speed dating thing. Even if you don't meet someone you can make friends, and they may have other single friends

Old 05-21-2012, 07:10 PM

Yeah, I see your point about going alone to those places. It does feel creepish and that is absolutely not the way I want to be perceived. Not going to take the speed dating approach, that just seems weird to me. Other than that, I don't know what else to do :/

Old 05-21-2012, 07:16 PM

930 posts, read 2,026,186 times
Do you belong to the Aquatic Center? Does your church have activities that you could join and meet other people that way? Just a thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>