U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2007, 11:38 PM

6 posts, read 13,277 times

Advertisements

A while back my husband and I decided we had finally had enough of the weather (and his family ) in the Puget Sound area and we decided to relocate to NC. To make a long story short, my husband is now being considered for a position in Charlotte and after doing all my research it seems like a good fit for us. So if you guys don't mind I'd like to ask some questions.

Where should we look for houses?
We want to spend up to $400k and I'd really love to avoid a McMansion if at all possible. Since we have two kids (aged 4 and 2) schools are obviously important to us.

Are there any Swedes in NC?
Clubs? IKEA? Anything?

Will it be difficult finding people to do playdates and what not with?
Coming from the Seattle area even after having lived here for almost 10 years I am still considered an outsider and it is pretty tough to gain access to local moms groups.

If you made it through this somewhat lengthy post... thank you and if you have any answers for me then... thank you even more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 12:28 AM

57 posts, read 141,453 times
I can't answer those questions for you but I am so with you on the weather. The thought of going into another rainy, gray winter is bumming me out. I'm ready to be out of here. What part of Seattle are you in? When are you planning to move?

Old 09-23-2007, 12:49 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,934,793 times
Not sure about the number of Swedes in Charlotte, but there was a thread about Ikea a little while ago

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ales-ikea.html

Spending up to $400K gives you a lot of options. While I prefer the south side of town, there are quite a few that prefer the north...

Old 09-23-2007, 12:50 AM

17 posts, read 89,704 times
OK for the good news... IKEA plans to open a store in Charlotte in '09. Beyond that I'm not a good source for all things swedish....

However, I can tell you that for $400K you can find a very nice home in numerous areas.
Check out the listings in Realtor.com (I am not an agent) to see what types of homes are available in the city. There are other realtor web sites that let you sub sort as well.

Some neighborhoods and subdivisions have more children than others.

Shop carefully and I think that you'll be pleased with the value you get for your money.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 AM

999 posts, read 4,507,771 times
Here are two websites for mommies groups, online message boards and they have playdates/meets etc. I joined Union County Mommies, and those with younger kids seem to be the majority there. We are new here and it seems that with so many new people around it's not a problem feeling welcome. While we live in a newer development (more a cookie cutter type neighborhood, but it's what we could afford!) and almost everyone is NOT from here it may be different if you move into a more established neighborhood (where you're maybe less likely to find the cookie cutter homes...).

CharlotteMommies.com--Charlotte's Mom-to-Mom Connection

UnionCountyMommies.com--Union County, NC's Mom-to-Mom Connection

Ikea is coming soon enough, and there seems to be no shortage of housing choices. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:12 PM

6 posts, read 14,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Here are two websites for mommies groups, online message boards and they have playdates/meets etc. I joined Union County Mommies, and those with younger kids seem to be the majority there. We are new here and it seems that with so many new people around it's not a problem feeling welcome. While we live in a newer development (more a cookie cutter type neighborhood, but it's what we could afford!) and almost everyone is NOT from here it may be different if you move into a more established neighborhood (where you're maybe less likely to find the cookie cutter homes...).

Ikea is coming soon enough, and there seems to be no shortage of housing choices. Good luck.

And don't forget about Charlotteareadads.com--Charlotte's Dad-to-Dad Connection

Old 09-23-2007, 07:06 PM

232 posts, read 700,096 times
It will not be difficult in the slightest bit to find other mom's to have playgroup with. Even with the kids in schools, you will easily befriend other mom's at the bus stops. I would stick to Union County Schools. They seem to be the most attractive to us, as we have a 3 year old, and a 2 year old, and another on the way. We are hoping to relocated back to NC (Raleigh) or Charlotte some time soon! Weddington has great schools. I know they are building a bunch of schools in Marvin as well. I lived there for 2 years, and made many friends, and actually was starting to make some new friendships just as we were moving back north. Everybody is very kind, and friendly. AT least the folks, I met.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:14 PM

396 posts, read 1,576,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post

Great post!! Union County Mommies is a great source.

I am a Puget Sounder as well. Whidbey Island to be exact. The folks here are just great and I'm sure you will really enjoy the difference.
$400K will get you a lot of house (especially considering where you are coming from) but it will be important to place yourself based on where your husband will be working. Too far in the opposite direction and you could have an hour commute in traffic on 485. Just in case you do decide you like Union County....let me just give the houses in our awesome neighborhood a little plug. We aren't a new neighborhood...but we are the best Lots of little kids and moms having get-togethers. Good luck.

Allen Tate Family of Companies (http://www.allentate.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?pageid=11&pagealias=ListingDet ail&ListingID=1053433&ListingPosition=2&From=Quick Search - broken link)

Allen Tate Family of Companies (http://www.allentate.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?pageid=11&pagealias=ListingDet ail&ListingID=1083501&ListingPosition=4&From=Quick Search - broken link)

Old 09-24-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2quilt View Post
I can't answer those questions for you but I am so with you on the weather. The thought of going into another rainy, gray winter is bumming me out. I'm ready to be out of here. What part of Seattle are you in? When are you planning to move?
We are just outside Seattle in Federal Way and I cannot wait to move. If my husband gets the job he is being interviewed for then we're moving two weeks from now. We sold our house already and most of our belongings are in a pod ready to ship whenever. It's a bit tough playing the waiting game but it's worth it.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
Great post!! Union County Mommies is a great source.

I am a Puget Sounder as well. Whidbey Island to be exact. The folks here are just great and I'm sure you will really enjoy the difference.
$400K will get you a lot of house (especially considering where you are coming from) but it will be important to place yourself based on where your husband will be working. Too far in the opposite direction and you could have an hour commute in traffic on 485. Just in case you do decide you like Union County....let me just give the houses in our awesome neighborhood a little plug. We aren't a new neighborhood...but we are the best Lots of little kids and moms having get-togethers. Good luck.

Allen Tate Family of Companies (http://www.allentate.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?pageid=11&pagealias=ListingDet ail&ListingID=1053433&ListingPosition=2&From=Quick Search - broken link)

Allen Tate Family of Companies (http://www.allentate.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?pageid=11&pagealias=ListingDet ail&ListingID=1083501&ListingPosition=4&From=Quick Search - broken link)
Thank you so much for all the information. It is so nice to know that others have made the move from similar places and enjoy it. Off to check out the sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: