Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:06 PM

972 posts, read 2,443,801 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm feeling better about our bill for 4 phones. And, more resolved than ever to not add any more smart phones (since I have mine, of course )

I hadn't actually looked at our Verizon bill for a while, since its been the same for over a year. The bill breaks it down like this per phone per month:

- $88 - Smart phone with unlimited data (don't think this is offered any more) - My phone is the main account holder phone so the basic friends and family bill goes on it, too
- $19 each - two basic phones
- $29 for slighting upgraded phone with data plan, email and enough texting for a high school girl.

That includes all our taxes and fee. But it also includes a 20% discount because I am a county employee. We talk about shopping around, but I don't think we can bet the price enough to warrent changing. We get signals in places other providers don't and the customer service is always good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 AM

54 posts, read 160,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly57 View Post
First, I will address the fact that someone else mentioned Verizon now charges a $36 upgrade fee which is absolutely ridiculous! I upgraded my phone before April 22, 2012 and didn't get hit with it but my husband upgraded in May and got hit with it plus taxes and a charge for his RAZR and accessories he got sucked into. Infuriating that they should do this to loyal customers who are already re-signing another 2 year contract plus buying a new phone from them. I argued it over the phone with a Verizon rep who agreed with me but couldn't remove the charge.

Now that I got that off my chest I can share with you how I determine each person's portion of the plan:

Data: First of all since we've had the account for 5 years both my sons got in on the unlimited data plans for $29.99 each, so they never have to worry about going over their data charges unless they go out of the country. So first off the bat each son gets charged $29.99.

Next, since my husband and I finally upgraded to smartphones (because our ancient devices starting dying) we had to have data plans. They no longer offer the unlimited plans like my sons have. So we each have a plan for $30 for our data. We don't look at movies or videos or do alot of music or youtube stuff so we picked the lowest data plan. We can check data usage online or directly on our phones, there's an app for that. So now my husband and I each get charged $30.00. We also chose to have insurance so there's an extra charge we both have for that.

Texting: We all have unlimited texting.

Minutes: Long ago I chose a 2,000 minute plan but we barely used all those minutes and they do not carry over month to month, so I reduced our minutes by reviewing the plan online (you can look at all your months and compare total minute usage). I also discussed it with a Verizon rep. So I lowered our plan to 1200 minutes and I keep an eye on it. We never use the total minutes. You also can go onto your online account and add 10 people on the friends and family they offer. You add non-Verizon customers, friends or relatives you talk to alot. They charge one fee for the plan, let's say $110 and then $9.99 for each additional line.

I calculate each person's individual cost such as their data plan, any ringtones they purchased, or Get It Now downloads, etc. This will be listed per each phone line. And get a total for each individual.

Then I subtract each persons individual total (I don't include the many taxes at this point) from the grand billing total that's due. I then take that remaining balance and divide it by 4. This gives an even and fair amount that each person owes for the remaining plan.

Sounds confusing? Here I'll break it down with actual numbers -

Total bill $300

Son #1- Data $29.99 = $29.99
Son #2 - Data $29.99 = $29.99
Husband - Data $30.00 & insurance $6.99 = $36.99
Me - Data $30.00 + insurance $6.99 = $36.99

Subtotal of each of our costs = $133.96

Total bill due $300.00
Minus grand total of individual costs - $133.96
Balance then is $166.04

Now divide the $164.04 by 4 = $41.51

Now add the $41.51 to each person's individual cost (their data plans, etc.)

Example:
Son #1 - 29.99 + 41.51 = $71.50
Son #2 - 29.99 + 41.51 = $71.50
Husband owes - 36.99 + 41.51 = $78.50
I owe - 36.99 + 41.51 = $78.50

Total collected is $300.00 for the bill amount.
Whew, I hope that helped....I spent way too much time, typing all that I get a bit anal and overly organized.
Dear butterfly57! I really appreciate your attention
Now it starts making sense; good approach to calculate all person's shares.
Yesterday I did same calculation for ATT family plan:

2100 Mins (max five line), first two line $110, extra lines $10/line -> $140 (5 lines)
$20 Unlimited Texts (monthly)/line
$30 Data plan (3Gig)(monthly)/line

So each line (equally distributed): 140/5 + 50 = $78/month (Unlimited Texts, 3Gig Data, 2100/5=420 Mins Call)
I took a look at Individual Plan which costs for about $40/month + same rate for Text and Data, so by using ATT family plan each person saves about (40-28)=$12/month.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:35 PM

245 posts, read 956,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurdishMan View Post
Dear butterfly57! I really appreciate your attention
Now it starts making sense; good approach to calculate all person's shares.
Yesterday I did same calculation for ATT family plan:

2100 Mins (max five line), first two line $110, extra lines $10/line -> $140 (5 lines)
$20 Unlimited Texts (monthly)/line
$30 Data plan (3Gig)(monthly)/line

So each line (equally distributed): 140/5 + 50 = $78/month (Unlimited Texts, 3Gig Data, 2100/5=420 Mins Call)
I took a look at Individual Plan which costs for about $40/month + same rate for Text and Data, so by using ATT family plan each person saves about (40-28)=$12/month.
One thing I want to add that you probably haven't factored into your calculations and kind of hits us all by surprise when we get our cell phone bills is all those taxes and surcharges they add on but do not tell you about.

I'm looking at my bill right now and for each line there is:

Verizon Wireless Surcharges: Fed Universal Service Charge, Regulatory Charge and an Administrative charge.

Taxes, Governmental Surcharges and Fees: a State 911 Fee, a state telecom relay service surcharge, state telecom sales tax, state sales tax, county telecom sales tax and then just county sales tax.

That's NINE additional charges we never think about when getting a cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte