U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 PM

12,977 posts, read 13,580,135 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move to Charlotte. DH's job would be Uptown, and I'd like suggestions on places to live please.

1) Housing budget $500,000.
2) Great school are a top priority for kids in 4th and 6th grades.
3) Short commute to Uptown.
4) Proximity to kid activities such as sports.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 03:06 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,032,952 times
For a combination of best commute and good schools, I would look at the Barclay Downs and Cotswold neighborhoods.
Try to get into the feeder zone for one of the following high schools: Myers Park (closest to uptown), Providence, or Ardrey Kell (worse commute). There are lots of houses in your price range in the South Meck High zone - it's a notch below the others but still a good school - Carmel Middle would be the better middle school in that zone.
High school boundary map:
Student Assignment Boundary Maps

Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 PM

Thank you!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 PM

6,662 posts, read 11,136,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
We are contemplating a move to Charlotte. DH's job would be Uptown, and I'd like suggestions on places to live please.

1) Housing budget $500,000.
2) Great school are a top priority for kids in 4th and 6th grades.
3) Short commute to Uptown.
4) Proximity to kid activities such as sports.
You might want to look into NC's charter schools. These schools are free, yet they are ran like private schools (with some of them requiring a uniform). Charter Schools are by far the fastest growing school system here in Charlotte and there is a good reason for that trend. Also, you can send your kids to any Charter School that you choose; your neighborhood is NOT a factor. There's nothing better than living where you want and sending the kids to the free school of your choice.

If you must do CMS (Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools) apply for a Magnet School. It is a lottery-based assigment system to get in, but these schools tend to do well.

Anyway, here is a recent story about Charter Schools in Mecklenburg county that you might find interesting. I made the switch from CMS to Charter Schools and I (and the kids) couldn't have been any happier. I was shocked to see that our family were not alone...

Charter schools are expected to account for one-third of all public school enrollment growth in Mecklenburg County next year, and the charter boom could surge in 2013. As Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools strives to maintain the confidence of a sprawling, diverse county, growing numbers of families are opting for independently run, tuition-free schools that cater to a niche. Projections show CMS gaining about 2,000 students next year, an increase of about 1.4 percent. About 1,000 more Mecklenburg students will attend charters, a 12 percent jump.
Charter schools enrollment surges | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,032,952 times
Charter schools are a great option for people living in zones with poor schools, but transportation is not provided. The OP has the budget to have very good neighborhood schools. If they are interested in magnets at the middle school level, I would recommend Randolph IB and Piedmont Open Middle. These both attract higher achievers. Northwest School of the Arts is appropriate for students interested in one or more of the arts.
I had one kid at Myers Park High and currently have one at South Meck. I am perfectly pleased with the education they have received, particularly at Myers Park.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,144,093 times
Definitely check out Cotswold. Close to uptown, beautiful area, great schools.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:20 PM

Thanks very much everyone for the great information.

As for all the realtor's sending me DM's, thank you very much, I appreciate all the information, but I am I am not looking a realtor at this time, and will have one assigned anyway as part of a relocation.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 06-20-2012 at 01:35 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 PM

177 posts, read 418,196 times
I'd suggest the Myers Park area. Selwyn Elementary is on par with the magnets. Excellent school.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:00 AM

My observation is that community/neighborhood swimming pools are available but less common in the Myers Park area, becoming more common the further south one goes. Would that be accurate? I'd like an area with neighborhood amenities, if possible, for the social interaction.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:08 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,144,093 times
It's definitely true. Neighborhood pools start popping up around Barclay Downs and get more and more popular the farther south you go as the land gets cheaper. The older parts of Myers Park weren't built into the traditional "named" neighborhoods you see throughout the city where one developer builds all the houses and sets aside land for a neighborhood pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: