U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:11 PM

23 posts, read 46,710 times

Advertisements

Here we go again: I was told that one cannot be arrested or issued a citation in Mecklenburg County for trespassing on private property (in my case, my yard) unless that person has been specifically warned not to go onto the property. Is this true?

What does one need to know in order to answer yes or no?

I apologize if folks find me insufferably rude. Thanks for the possible pass if I might be twelve years old. If the people asking all of the questions aren't twelve years old, I'll have to say that the questions are insufferably idiotic.

Yes or no? Just the facts, ma'am.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-02-2012, 02:20 PM

45,236 posts, read 96,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoA1970 View Post
Here we go again: I was told that one cannot be arrested or issued a citation in Mecklenburg County for trespassing on private property (in my case, my yard) unless that person has been specifically warned not to go onto the property. Is this true?

I apologize if folks find me insufferably rude. Thanks for the possible pass if I might be twelve years old. If the people asking all of the questions aren't twelve years old, I'll have to say that the questions are insufferably idiotic.

I already answered your question with a "yes" answer.

Respondents to this thread do not appear to be the one intent on being "insufferably idiotic".

Old 07-02-2012, 02:22 PM

335 posts, read 667,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yes, a person has to be warned. Posting signs is considered a warning though, so just get one for your backyard

Old 07-02-2012, 02:22 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,789,247 times
Quote:

We posted the statute for you. What more do you want?

Old 07-02-2012, 02:44 PM

14,689 posts, read 25,525,552 times
Quote:
This is a CITY DATA forum.

DUH...
As you pointed out, this is a forum so sometimes you get comments you may not like. Discussions aren't necessarily all roses.

Quote:

Respondents to this thread do not appear to be the one intent on being "insufferably idiotic".
They were indignantly identified insufferable idiots?

Old 07-02-2012, 03:30 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,451,593 times
I checked the City's municipal code (Municode) and didn't find anything helpful regarding this topic. I suppose the trespass response by CMPD is one of policy.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:51 PM

6,319 posts, read 9,658,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I checked the City's municipal code (Municode) and didn't find anything helpful regarding this topic. I suppose the trespass response by CMPD is one of policy.
But we're still not sure if BoA even called CMPD...

Old 07-02-2012, 05:01 PM

23 posts, read 46,710 times
Quote:

Yes, I see that you answered yes in the very beginning. One would think that would be the end of it, but I got caught up in the absolutely brilliant series of comments and questions:

OP doesn't say anything about a fence. And even so, if there's a gate, it's not very difficult.

Agreed. I'm not sure if the OP wanted to call the police and then pretend like he didn't see the guy in his yard so he wouldn't leave before the police got there (and thus basically give the guy a chance to steal something)? At the very least I would turn a lot of lights on in the house.

So, please be clear - are you saying you had a person in your fenced in back yard one night at midnight and when you called CMPD to report it they would not respond?

I'm not sure because it's outside but it might change it to 1st degree trespassing versus 2nd degree. For 1st degree the warning isn't needed. Once you're in an enclosed space it's a whole 'nother story

Few questions: 1. How long was the guy on your yard? 2. You didn't turn your lights on and shout "who are you"? Or something like that. 3. Has it happened more than once? If it hasn't, then why are you worrying about it? 4. What was he doing, just standing there, walking through? 5. How old was the guy? Could it have been a teenager cutting through?

Don't know what else you expect us to do. You were complaining about a law yet you haven't taken any action. We were trying to figure out what exactly your complaint was. If you're looking for help and people try to get more information from you, they're usually trying to help you. When you act defensive, it doesn't really help your cause.

Duh? Are you 12, cause if so I'll give you a pass. Otherwise I find your responses and thought processes to be insufferably rude.

People are just trying to help, you obviously are looking for reasons to be upset and at this point I hope you find them.

Personally, your story sounds made up to me!

Again, sorry I missed your answer in the beginning. It got lost in the, um, clutter.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:07 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,835,062 times
Quote:
If the people asking all of the questions aren't twelve years old, I'll have to say that the questions are insufferably idiotic.
I'd tend to agree. Let's look at the evidence.

Quote:
Now, what about barbed wire installed INSIDE my fenced perimeter? Does that break any local ordinances?
Quote:
Why would I ask?
Quote:
What other answers are pertinent to the topic?
Quote:
Anything else?
Quote:
What difference does it make?
Quote:
I haven't called the police, and I haven't filled out a complaint, so why the interrogation?
Quote:
Are you folks policemen interested in coming to investigate?
Quote:
So what's the common wisdom here?
Quote:
have an engrave invitation ready for when he comes back and serve him dinner?
Quote:
post signs on my fence, send up a blimp with blinking lights and a trailer reiterating the NO TRESPASSING signs[?]
Quote:
get a ferocious dog to further thwart entry[?]
Quote:
say to he*k with it and just see what he does[?]

Quote:
Is barbed wire illegal?
Quote:
Should I go out and offer the guy a beer and a sandwich and ask in a gentle voice, "For what reason, kind sir, dost thou tread upon mine property at such an hour before the **** hast ever crow'd?".
Quote:
Is this true?
Quote:
What's the truth about trespassing on private property[?]

GIFSoup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte