U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:24 AM

9 posts, read 26,178 times

Advertisements

Ok, i know this has been asked before, but nobody can seem to agree on which areas are absolutely avoidable, and nobody can seem to point to areas of charlotte that are safe AND not massively expensive. So im going to ask...

I will be relocating to Charlotte August 1st to accept a new job near CLT airport, and it appears i have GRAVELY overestimated the affordability of decent housing. I'm moving from California, and i was hoping to save on housing expenses (appartment; im not in a situation to own, and never again will i roomate), but unfortunately in my searches for appartments i feel very overwhelmed. I've asked a few people, and it seems to me any of the places i look at places with rent below $700.00 per month are all in "bad" areas, but then again i am absolutely LOST when it comes to familiarity with the bad parts of Charlotte (and the layout of Charlotte in general).

I would appreciate any advice opinions, or suggestions about places to avoid, or areas to live at. I'll be making 38.5K per year. I dont have to be right next to the airport; i dont mind a moderate commute, but i just can't seem to get a good idea of what areas are bad, and which ones are OK YET not super super expensive--all the internet research seems to have mixed opinions. Uptown, Dilworth, South Park--all seem to be unaffordable for me, and thus far those are the only places i have seen that people generally all agree on are safe.

So im asking for any help possible; are there any areas that are fairly safe and affordable (I.e. Rents approx 700.00 or below)? I dont think i can afford much on 38.5K, in CA thats not much, but i dont know about Charlotte. I dont think i can afford much more than 700.00 per month and have no idea about what utility expense typically run for.

I thought i could afford something better than in CA, but it looks like housing costs in Charlotte, at least for safe places are getting just as bad

Im kind of panic and wonder if i made a bad choice in relocating.
Thanks in advance for any help, ideas, or suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 03:35 AM

23,806 posts, read 32,158,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1purtle View Post
Ok, i know this has been asked before, but nobody can seem to agree on which areas are absolutely avoidable, and nobody can seem to point to areas of charlotte that are safe AND not massively expensive. So im going to ask...

I will be relocating to Charlotte August 1st to accept a new job near CLT airport, and it appears i have GRAVELY overestimated the affordability of decent housing. I'm moving from California, and i was hoping to save on housing expenses (appartment; im not in a situation to own, and never again will i roomate), but unfortunately in my searches for appartments i feel very overwhelmed. I've asked a few people, and it seems to me any of the places i look at places with rent below $700.00 per month are all in "bad" areas, but then again i am absolutely LOST when it comes to familiarity with the bad parts of Charlotte (and the layout of Charlotte in general).

I would appreciate any advice opinions, or suggestions about places to avoid, or areas to live at. I'll be making 38.5K per year. I dont have to be right next to the airport; i dont mind a moderate commute, but i just can't seem to get a good idea of what areas are bad, and which ones are OK YET not super super expensive--all the internet research seems to have mixed opinions. Uptown, Dilworth, South Park--all seem to be unaffordable for me, and thus far those are the only places i have seen that people generally all agree on are safe.

So im asking for any help possible; are there any areas that are fairly safe and affordable (I.e. Rents approx 700.00 or below)? I dont think i can afford much on 38.5K, in CA thats not much, but i dont know about Charlotte. I dont think i can afford much more than 700.00 per month and have no idea about what utility expense typically run for.

I thought i could afford something better than in CA, but it looks like housing costs in Charlotte, at least for safe places are getting just as bad

Im kind of panic and wonder if i made a bad choice in relocating.
Thanks in advance for any help, ideas, or suggestions.
Do you have to live in Charlotte? Do you need schools?

Old 07-01-2012, 07:22 AM

6,318 posts, read 9,479,442 times
I would probably look in the Steele Creek area a little west of the I-77/485 interchange. Under $700 could be tough but I'd think you could find something at least in the $750 range. After a quick search one place that looks decent and might actually be under $700 is the York Ridge Apartments.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 AM

527 posts, read 1,018,712 times
If you can drive few miles, then look around Mallard Creek Area such as "Traditions Apartments" for one bed room apt and maybe you can get 2 bedroom if you go long term lease but that's a stretch. They are good size rooms. Its about a mile or so from I85.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:04 AM

1,352 posts, read 2,688,881 times
University City is affordable and not bad.

Def not the Westide or Eastside

Old 07-01-2012, 09:23 AM

366 posts, read 466,698 times
University

Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 PM

23 posts, read 46,003 times
We have friends who are relocating to Charlotte in September. We looked at the University area for them. We went online to look at crime statistics and found this website:

Thinking of Attending UNCC? Think Again!: For Those Who Are Considering Attending UNCC

I was a bit horrified. We have a child whom we considered sending to UNCC. A large percentage of the REALLY violent crime is committed in the UNCC area.

I'd say South Charlotte if you can afford it. $700.00 per month isn't realistic.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:35 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,729,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoA1970 View Post
We have friends who are relocating to Charlotte in September. We looked at the University area for them. We went online to look at crime statistics and found this website:

Thinking of Attending UNCC? Think Again!: For Those Who Are Considering Attending UNCC

I was a bit horrified. We have a child whom we considered sending to UNCC. A large percentage of the REALLY violent crime is committed in the UNCC area.

I'd say South Charlotte if you can afford it. $700.00 per month isn't realistic.
You're not really going to take your cues from a disgruntled student ginning up fear? 11 violent crimes in an area with 22,500 students in one year is rather low. Yes, there is an occasional problem with car break-ins. But this guy is really sloppy in using non-UNCC related crimes to bolster his argument. A click through a few posts shows this guy is not reputable.

But university wouldn't be great for a commute to the airport. I second the recommendation of the Steele Creek area. If you don't mind living in a small town, you might look at Belmont. But i'm not sure about the availability of rentals there.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:59 PM

186 posts, read 413,232 times
You can use the same general formula used for mortgages to determine what monthly rent you can afford (within a range suited to your personal comfort level). Divide annual income by 12 to get monthly, then divide that by 3 for 33% of income or 4 for 25% of income - these are typical ranges (no more than 28% is the target for most banks on a mortgage). I would recommend you check out apartments in the Northlake area (exit 18 off I-77)... there are many new apartments here and it would be a very easy commute with several options to get to the airport, and not much traffic. There are many restaurants and shopping options within a minute of most of these brand new apartments. Overall CLT will be much cheaper than CA, but rent here has gotten very expensive due to so many more people now renting than buying, at least for now,

Old 07-01-2012, 07:36 PM

15,017 posts, read 11,565,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
University City is affordable and not bad.

Def not the Westide or Eastside
West or east side? I know the West side has the worst reputation but there are bad areas on both sides but there are decent areas on both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte