Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2007, 12:36 AM

15 posts, read 33,774 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am planning a move to Charlotte from Texas. I am hoping for the first of the year. I work out of my home so location doesn' depend on a job. I do not know the first thing about areas in and around Charlotte. I would like to know what areas to look in and which ones to stay away from. I will most likely be renting for at least the first 6 months until I can really settle down in the right area and find a home to buy. My son will be a little over a year by the time we get there and I will be looking for a daycare also. Any advice is welcome. I have really gotten a kick out of reading thru the past forums, man ya'll really have some opinions, and I am hoping for some of those opinions to help me out. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 07:30 AM

928 posts, read 3,837,675 times
Hi and welcome-

Avoid anything in West or East Charlotte. The north and south charlotte areas are the best as far as neighborhoods, schools, and quality of living. You will find alot of options in huntersville and that surrounding area. I know they are building new apartments all the time. The University Area of Charlotte is not so great either - if you go further down towards Mallard Creek Road there are apartments which are better for families - WT Harris is one of the main roads out there.

Also, consider Fort MIll SC they have excellent schools and are building up the area, Concord, Union County, Some Parts of Gaston County, there are many options. My recommendatoin too is that you look into daycares as soon as you figure out where you want to live. Depending on your childs age you might have to be placed on a waiting list for daycare, so this is something to be aware of.

Most of all, Good LUck. Coming with a job is the best way to come.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:33 AM

241 posts, read 752,766 times
For renting, focus your attention in North or South/SW Charlotte. Mallard Creek area in N.Charlotte seems to offer decent apartment living. East and West Charlotte have some undesireable areas. Since commuting isnt an issue, try to get as far out of Charlotte as possible.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:59 PM

Thanks so much for the input. I would really rather rent a house than an apartment, I have a 12 year small dog that will not adjust well to an apartment. Waiting list for daycare huh? Wow, not something I thought of. Daycare is not an issue where I live now, so I had not considered that. I could possibly rent a house online before I get there, but I don't see a way to choose a daycare beforehand. That could be a problem. Again, thank you.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenCS View Post
Hi. I am planning a move to Charlotte from Texas. I am hoping for the first of the year. I work out of my home so location doesn' depend on a job. I do not know the first thing about areas in and around Charlotte. I would like to know what areas to look in and which ones to stay away from. I will most likely be renting for at least the first 6 months until I can really settle down in the right area and find a home to buy. My son will be a little over a year by the time we get there and I will be looking for a daycare also. Any advice is welcome. I have really gotten a kick out of reading thru the past forums, man ya'll really have some opinions, and I am hoping for some of those opinions to help me out. thanks
Loren, much depends on how much you can afford to spend on rent. If you tell us, we can try to make some suggestions of areas to check out.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:19 AM

I have been staring at the maps, reading all of the posts on this site, searching on realtor.com and now that I know what areas to even look in, I feel like I can find a nice house in a nice, safe area for under 1200-1500 per month. The only problem is that I definately want to buy my own home within about 6 months. Not many landlords are willing to lease for under a year, I know I probably wouldnt want to as an owner. I may end up in an apartment. I lived in Dallas for 10 years and have been back out in the country now for about 5 years. I think I am ready for the city scene again, but only for a very short time. And it would have to be a very safe area, I have an infant. Hopefully I can find a nice apartment in a very nice area for the first 6 months and that will give me time to search out the northern part of Charlotte, probably around Concord, and find the right house. I have the time to do that now since schools are not a current factor.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,839,266 times
We lived in an apartment on the Charlotte/Harrisburg line. The rent was less than $900 and they gave us a 6 month lease while our house was being built. University City elementary is one of the best elementary schools in Charlotte, and there's plenty of businesses near by. feel free to contact me at Hoagie58@aol.com, if you'd like the name of the complex, and a contact person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte