U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 05:28 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,140,754 times

Advertisements

WHY??

Prosecutors in Charlotte seldom put murder suspects on trial for their lives.

Read more here: Prosecutors seeking death penalty in killing of 4-year-old girl, parents | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

I want some real answers. Anybody?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 05:44 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,316,599 times
maybe because most murders aren't premeditated and involve a 4 year old girl? I dunno, is that a real answer?

Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
maybe because most murders aren't premeditated and involve a 4 year old girl? I dunno, is that a real answer?
So your theory is that most murders in Charlotte are either "crimes of passion", or somehow just not "premeditated" enough to be considered 1st degree murder?

Yes, that's one answer, thanks.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:26 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,316,599 times
not really "my theory". actually, it seems to be the general consensus on this forum that most heavy crimes and murders are between people who know each other or between one criminal and another (drug deal gone bad). I personally don't care about that, and feel that philosophy undermines the crime. if you murder someone, you should be kilt. kilt dead I tell ya.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,586,968 times
It's a nationwide thing. The burden of proof is much higher in a death penalty case as it should be. It's far easier legally to lock someone up for life than to go the death penalty and let the defendant walk free (remember Casey Anthony).

I am no advocate of the death penalty. We're the only modern advanced country that has one and I certainly don't see the death penalty having any deterrent effect. Death penalty states have consistently higher murder rates than non death penalty states.

Deterrence: States Without the Death Penalty Have Had Consistently Lower Murder Rates | Death Penalty Information Center

Old 07-05-2012, 08:49 PM

4,763 posts, read 7,110,762 times
Its also pro ably tougher to get a jury to okay killing someone. Sending them to prison for the rest of their life is impersonal. Sentencing them to death brings all kinds of moral or religious issues into play for jurors.

Coped, I think the reason capital punishment is not a deterrent is because it isn't used enough to get the desired reaction, coupled with prosecutors not wanting to go that route in order to secure an easier conviction. Get Duke Energy to cut the state a good deal on power and fire that electric chair ip a bit more often and you might get some attention. Heck, get some corporate sponsors and put it on Pay-Per-View. You could have Friday Night Sparks presented in part by GE and the Dept. of Energy. Or maybe the Gas Chamber brought to you by Raid Insect Killer and Chevrolet.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
It's a nationwide thing. The burden of proof is much higher in a death penalty case as it should be. It's far easier legally to lock someone up for life than to go the death penalty and let the defendant walk free (remember Casey Anthony).

Good point, thanks!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM

642 posts, read 1,068,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I am no advocate of the death penalty. We're the only modern advanced country that has one and I certainly don't see the death penalty having any deterrent effect. Death penalty states have consistently higher murder rates than non death penalty states.
I feel that the death penalty - when you are absolutely certain of guilt - is more humane than locking someone up for the rest of their lives.

This is not an easy choice. It seems to me to be personal rather than philosophical when you decide in favor of or against the death penalty. I would not criticize anyone for not wanting it. I simply believe what I believe and I am personally in favor for the reason I stated.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
I feel that the death penalty - when you are absolutely certain of guilt - is more humane than locking someone up for the rest of their lives.

This is not an easy choice. It seems to me to be personal rather than philosophical when you decide in favor of or against the death penalty. I would not criticize anyone for not wanting it. I simply believe what I believe and I am personally in favor for the reason I stated.
The death penalty has its place for sure.

I do wish, however, that punishment in this country really was always "rehabilitative" and not just warehousing of criminals.

I don't know the statistic, but read somewhere not too long ago that a high percentage of those in prison are actually mentally ill. Of course, some are just pure evil. In cases of evil, death and warehousing is the best we can do. But in the case of the mentally ill, I wish there were more that could be done

But the real question for me, and the reason I started the thread, was to try to understand why in Charlotte Mecklenburg does the DA prosecute so few 1st degree murder cases.

Is there an element here of prosecutors being too soft on crime?

Old 07-06-2012, 03:30 PM

8,402 posts, read 22,157,733 times
Maybe slightly off topic, but I think the death penalty as we apply it is a joke. It's enormously expensive, time consuming, and not a deterrent because it seldom actually results in an execution. Until we change how it's implemented, there's hardly a reason to bother with it.

EDIT-I read the article and thought a bit. It's possible that the DA sees that there is little point in asking for death, for the reasons I gave. Why saddle the taxpayers with that expense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: