U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:46 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,158,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallamer View Post
I ride by exactly the plot of land he's talking about whenever I go to work. That section isn't that bad.
Not talking about a particular section, talking about the whole area
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 PM

7 posts, read 8,816 times
This is the exact place he's talking about:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=28202...12,9.84,,0,5.2

The abandoned, red brick building with the For Lease sign closest to the camera is the one that just finished being renovated. It's a very attractive office now.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not talking about a particular section, talking about the whole area
Yeah, that area isn't bad. It isn't until you get to the end of that part of the road and have to turn left to stay on Rozzles Ferry (heading towards the CSX rail yard) that you're in the bad part.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,706,439 times
Quote:
Yeah, that area isn't bad. It isn't until you get to the end of that part of the road and have to turn left to stay on Rozzles Ferry (heading towards the CSX rail yard) that you're in the bad part.
Ah, I thought it changed names there to My Holly Road for some reason. But of course it's very Charlotte to make a turn and keep the same road name.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Ah, I thought it changed names there to My Holly Road for some reason. But of course it's very Charlotte to make a turn and keep the same road name.
The really sad part is that farther down Rozzles Ferry once you turn left, all the way to the CSX yard, there's an old 3-story brick mill converted to lofts... but in the worst part of the city.

Before:

Survey & Research Reports: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission

And now...

Old 07-10-2012, 06:25 AM

6,217 posts, read 8,947,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrown28031 View Post
you would have to pay me alot of money to come to work there everyday in that area.
Well sounds like the OP would be able to pay his employees more money by having the warehouse there as opposed to the other location. I've never been to this particular area but now this thread has me intrigued to see what it really looks like. A couple weeks ago I drove past the infamous Hidden Valley with my fiancee and she said, "hmm, that looks like a decent neighborhood." I told her that's supposedly one of the worst areas in Charlotte and she would have never guessed...but I guess looks can be deceiving.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,391,692 times
Quote:
The really sad part is that farther down Rozzles Ferry once you turn left, all the way to the CSX yard, there's an old 3-story brick mill converted to lofts... but in the worst part of the city.

Before:

Survey & Research Reports: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission

And now...
That explains the low price. My girlfriend and I were really considering a move to that building. Glad we didn't :/

Old 07-10-2012, 06:46 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,312,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
That explains the low price. My girlfriend and I were really considering a move to that building. Glad we didn't :/
A friend lives, and has his studio, there. He has stories about some things he's seen - not violence or crime, just stuff like someone riding a golf cart down the street in just their skivvies. The neighbors I've met are all decent people. You might spend some time there before you write it off, if you're the pioneering sort. It wouldn't be for everyone, that's for sure.

I love my friend's apartment - loft bed, HUGE windows, lots of space.

I wouldn't call that particular area the worst part of the city!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:59 AM

14,485 posts, read 10,892,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well sounds like the OP would be able to pay his employees more money by having the warehouse there as opposed to the other location. I've never been to this particular area but now this thread has me intrigued to see what it really looks like. A couple weeks ago I drove past the infamous Hidden Valley with my fiancee and she said, "hmm, that looks like a decent neighborhood." I told her that's supposedly one of the worst areas in Charlotte and she would have never guessed...but I guess looks can be deceiving.
ehhh.. I think members on CD can be deceiving when talking about an area... I understand we all have different levels of tolerance when it comes to less desirable neighborhoods but the OP is talking about a warehouse.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:09 PM

6,607 posts, read 10,973,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ride through the area, you'll see why 28173 said that
I'll put it like this. If you walked through that area while wearing a nice dress, guys would try to pick you up. Heck, if I walked through that area wearing a nice dress, guys would try to pick me up too.

Obviously, this might be a "concern" to some folks, but it's not like these guys will take you against your will if you say no thank you. My point is that the area is not as bad as folks make it out to be. I've stopped several times at the cheap gas stations on Hwy 16 near I-85. There is also a Jack in the Box that I frequently visit in the area. YES, the area has homeless folks (many of whom aren't really homeless) asking for change, and YES the area has prostitutes looking for drug money, but that certainly doesn't make an area dangerous (shady YES, but certainly not dangerous). When you start seeing random murders or something crazy like that, then (and only then) do we have a true no-man's-land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte