Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 AM

25 posts, read 24,741 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I recently moved to Charlotte from Maryland and the lack of snowball stands is so weird! It's a little late this season but I was thinking of looking into starting a stand somewhere the beginning of next spring. I know the overhead is much lower than most businesses and with the heat I could easily keep it opened almost 3/4 of the year I believe. I am just in the beginning stages of throwing this idea around, so my questions to you...

1. Does anyone know of any in the area, maybe I am just missing all the good spots?

2. Where would you suggest opening one? Side of the road, near a gas station, somewhere with lots of foot traffic? (i'm not too familiar with the area yet so this would be a big help)

3. Specific location? university area, huntersville, lake norman etc.

4. Do you think from living here previously this may be a lucrative business venture? (not looking to make millions but absolutely would like to be profitable : )

5. Any problems I may not be aware of that I can run into? (laws and things such as that)

Any suggestions/responses are greatly appreciated! I'm a recent college grad and having no luck finding a job so I thought maybe I should take a leap and make one for myself! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
do you mean Italian Ice? There are a few Rita Ice's and mexicans are always walking around with the carts...

I still think you could make some money though if you found a nice area. Noda Area? Might be a little expensive uptown but I think you would do well on the weekends.

Also look into parks and recreation or areas with tons of "foot traffic" which is actually hard to find in Charlotte.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:17 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,164,128 times
Sorry I cannot give you any business advice about this (know nothing about this type of business).
But I salute you and wish best of luck to all entrepreneurs!

I think more of us should be willing to think for themselves and try to get a business started, instead of complaining and feeling miserable for not landing a job...

Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
In whatever city you choose, you will need to get a permit and they could tell you of restrictions or direct you to the department that will inform you. You could also set up shop in front of a Walmart. I know I seen vendors out there before. Of course then you will need permission of any business too.

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 AM

25 posts, read 24,741 times
I guess I should have clarified, I want to do shaved ice. This would be ice shaved from an ice block which produces fine, soft, fluffy ice as opposed to a snocone which is ice cubes that are crushed into smaller pellets and is very crunchy. I think those are harder to eat and less enjoyable.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
do you mean Italian Ice?
Not quite the same thing as a "snowball". Its a Maryland thing - up there these types of stands are everywhere in the Summer.

I kind of miss them as well since moving down from Baltimore.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
Oh, yeah! There used to be a truck off of Central Avenue (iirc), they *always* had a line! Of course, their flavors weren't just artificial syrup, they were made with real fruit juice, no high fructose corn syrup. They had the BEST flavor combinations, and I LOVED the snowy texture. I miss them! I do think you could do very well here.

People would drive to get to the shaved ice place I'm thinking of - wish I could remember exactly where it was! They had the option of adding sweetened condensed milk or coconut milk... yum. There wasn't a whole lot of foot traffic - but I think, to start out, you'd want the crowds and foot traffic. You will need to get a permit, for sure, no matter where you set up.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
That's one thing I found odd when we moved to Maryland a few years back. The people up there had these shaved ice stands EVERYWHERE. I couldn't beleive it.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:53 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
My family used to make trips up to the North Side of Pittsburgh to get these when I was a child. We called them snow cones but they were shaved from a block of ice.

In my opinion you need to be a people person and love kids if you want to start a business like this... I know Freedom Park has a few vendors but I think there is enough room for a car of some sort. That would be a prime location.

Also look into the greenway by the metro... they get nice crowds on the weekend.

Good Luck.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:10 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
There is a snowball place on 29 N Tryon near the Super Wal Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte