Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
So that would exclude both Atlanta & Charlotte.
IMO, both cities should take notes from Charleston, SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 11:09 AM

341 posts, read 761,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
IMO, both cities should take notes from Charleston, SC.
I like Charleston. It's a good place (I'm from there) but other than the shopping an density downtown there's really nothing else they can learn from. They have this dumb rule that any building over 75 years old can't be torn down. There are so many crappy old buildings in the north part of downtown that NEED to be torn down but can't be. If they aren't torn down, some are about to fall apart. It's almost counter-progressive. I see nothing wrong with having a few midsize buildings there (think 10 stories) in the less historic parts.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,804,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I consider I-85 between Atlanta & Charlotte to be a horrible drive. This is why I haven't been to ATL in years as there is nothing there that I want to see that makes the drive worth it.

I recommend going to the NC Regional Farmers market. There are foods there from all over the world as well, and while I agree there may be more asian stores in the Atlanta Metro (it does sprawl over 10,000 sq miles) I can't imagine that anything can be found there that isn't available in CLT.

I'm not doubting that you might know people who make such a trip, but IMO, it's not common.
That farmers market still does not beat the DeKalb Farmers Market in ATlanta.....It's like the KING of farmers market. If you have never been there, it can be quite overwhelming at first.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I really cant comment on Atlanta malls as when I go that city malls is last thing I want to do.

Your comment on Hanes Mall I take issue with as I dont know what decay you state surrounds the mall.
On the left side of mall across the street on Hanes Mall Blvd is doctor offices, hotels, and Village Tavern and they dont choose locations in non thriving areas. On right side of mall is Forsyth Medical Hospital.
I was thinking maybe you was referring to buisness on Strafford at the top of the mall. There some older building structures but they are in buisness, there is car lots and a Putt-Putt.
The rest of Hanes Mall Blvd.

Hanes Mall is technically a bigger mall than South Park and only reason South Park took ranks as biggest mall as the department stores have more square footage.

One thing I like about the mall it has carpet, even though I think it needs to be cleaned but it comfortable trekking around the mall.

I miss the numerous cascading tall water fountains but they replace with a carrousel only mall in this state that has one.

They also have a H&M store and Charlotte doesnt have one.
Sunny, you are right in how you have described the area. I was talking blocks out . . . it is easy to drive around looking for a restaurant, for instance, and quickly be in a sketchy area. However, I have learned over the years to not drive around . . . I always eat at the Village Tavern, wh/ brings up. . . 10-12 years ago, I really like the Barclay Downs/Charlotte VT, but it seems too crowded to me now - I don't go there. I much prefer the Winston location - actually, like it very much. Weird, huh?

They have quite a few stores at Hanes that are not in Charlotte, H&M being one of them.

I apologize if I made Hanes sound like it was verging on a ghetto.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Makes sense. But to be honest, I do do know a few folks from Charlotte who drive to Atlanta to shop. One drives down once a month to go to the Dekalb Farmer's Market. Another for Asian stores/shops.
It isn't that bad of a drive if you start out early in the day. I just like combining the outing with other events - a ballgame, some time at the High, visit with friends/relatives, dining out . . . I have never taken time out to see the Aquarium, wh/ I should be embarrassed to even admit!!! I hear it is a wonderful excursion.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
That farmers market still does not beat the DeKalb Farmers Market in ATlanta.....It's like the KING of farmers market. If you have never been there, it can be quite overwhelming at first.
I've been there. It's nothing spectacular in my book. The impressive markets are found in Alpha cities where the markets are so large they are devoted to just a few commodities. My commentary was relative to driving 7-8 hours round trip on I-85 to do routine shopping there. It's simply not worth it.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post
That is very grad to believe, but I guess it is true? What is so weird is that people must not be spending as much money because the sales per sqaure foot finally got over 300, the national average. It was actually 292 in 2010, I believe. SouthParks is over 700, and is a slightly larger mall.

Honestly, I've always preferred Nordstrom to Bloomingdales and Neiman's to Saks, but that's just me. I've found customer service to be better than those stores too.

Obviously some people do it. I have seen GA tags Everytime including from most metro Atlanta counties. I even heard 2 people telling the salesperson at Belk that they were from Atlanta and they actually said they thought Atlanta's malls weren't all that great and they were tired of them. Personally, I agree. Lenox is my favorite one, but the parking is so much better at SP, SP looks better and has a better atmosphere than Lenox, has many more people buying things as opposed to hanging out like more people do at Lenox. All of that is much better than having a few extra stores I don't care about.

I am Going to respect anyone's opinion. If you don't like SouthPark, then I will respect anyone's opinion, as long as you don't bash SouthPark. It is just ridiculous that someone would star bashing a mall because someone states a fact that you don't like so you have to bash it, talk about childish.
First of all, I am not bashing SouthPark or Lenox/Phipps. ???

Secondly, I said I would love to see Saks and Bloomie's here in Charlotte. Who wouldn't? However, I didn't say I don't shop at Neiman and Nordstrom. I DO shop there. Nordstrom is the only place that carries the brand of shirts I wear, for example (Foxcroft).

I also shop at Macy's, Belk, Dillard . . . I didn't know it had to be an "either-or" proposition, lol (where one chooses to shop).

Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 AM

126 posts, read 296,006 times
I love how I said I knew someone who drove from Atlanta to Charlotte to shop and everyone assumes I'm talking about the entire population of Georgia. I'm very aware that there are two upscale malls in Atlanta.

Surprisingly, in my opinion, Hanes is becoming more upscale in terms of the new H&M and Coach stores, despite it's low sales per square foot. Southpoint is also trying to up their stores.

I prefer to shop in Charlotte because it feels safer and newer than Lenox/Phipps or Atlanta in general. More upscale stores doesn't make a mall better if that's all they're putting into it.

The only excuse Atlantan's use to bash Charlotte is their 5 million metro and the state of Georgia's population SLIGHTLY larger than North Carolina... with the numbers today, NC is going to pass GA in population.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 AM

341 posts, read 761,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
First of all, I am not bashing SouthPark or Lenox/Phipps. ???

Secondly, I said I would love to see Saks and Bloomie's here in Charlotte. Who wouldn't? However, I didn't say I don't shop at Neiman and Nordstrom. I DO shop there. Nordstrom is the only place that carries the brand of shirts I wear, for example (Foxcroft).

I also shop at Macy's, Belk, Dillard . . . I didn't know it had to be an "either-or" proposition, lol (where one chooses to shop).
Oh, no I am most certainly not talking about you. Haha I'm talking about the Atlanta user, definitely not you. I shop at Belk, Macy's, Nordstrom, and Neimans. I have bought a thing or 2 from Saks and Dillard's, and almost have bough from Bloomingdales, so I basically shop everywhere, except Sears or JCP, but who shops at Sears anymore anyway? Lol

Actually one day I hope Charlotte becomes strong enough to have retail downtown. I have Imagined a lovely shopping center open up in downtown. It has a lovely park with fountains and greenery in the middle with the shops situated in a square around the center, even though it would be a development, it would look more like the stores just opened there themselves, kind of. Kind of like a smaller, more upscale version of Atlantic Station. Of course, the anchors would be a Bloomingdales and Saks Fifth Avenue.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM

126 posts, read 296,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post
Oh, no I am most certainly not talking about you. Haha I'm talking about the Atlanta user, definitely not you. I shop at Belk, Macy's, Nordstrom, and Neimans. I have bought a thing or 2 from Saks and Dillard's, and almost have bough from Bloomingdales, so I basically shop everywhere, except Sears or JCP, but who shops at Sears anymore anyway? Lol

Actually one day I hope Charlotte becomes strong enough to have retail downtown. I have Imagined a lovely shopping center open up in downtown. It has a lovely park with fountains and greenery in the middle with the shops situated in a square around the center, even though it would be a development, it would look more like the stores just opened there themselves, kind of. Kind of like a smaller, more upscale version of Atlantic Station. Of course, the anchors would be a Bloomingdales and Saks Fifth Avenue.
Maybe we can see a Metropolitan expansion? It'd be nice to have a Saks in the Uptown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte