Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:12 AM

57 posts, read 298,258 times

Advertisements

I was curious what the culture is in Charlotte for tipping. I assumed there wouldn't be much of a difference from the northeast.

I've been living in a condo and the Property Management company sent an exterminator over to spray for bees that nested on my porch. Since I had made the call to report the bees, but wasn't paying for the exterminator, I decided to tip the exterminator. She seemed very surprised and grateful that I did that. I also had the windshield in my car replaced by one of those mobile glass replacement companies that the insurance company sent over. I tipped him too. Again, seemed very surprised.

So is tipping the norm here? Or no?

Funny thing, the exterminator said to me "Well bless your heart" when I gave her the tip..From reading other posts on this board, was she being secretly rude to me, or just thanking me?

:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 10:15 AM

170 posts, read 642,569 times
lol that is funny leavingNY...

I'd say, from my opinion, northeasterns tip more then normal...which I think is a GREAT thing! I have a great friend from New Jersey and when he's here, the servers, bartenders, limo drivers...whatever are SHOCKED at his tip's and it's just normal for him though...

you do what you think is right!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:32 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,464,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingNY View Post
I was curious what the culture is in Charlotte for tipping. I assumed there wouldn't be much of a difference from the northeast.

I've been living in a condo and the Property Management company sent an exterminator over to spray for bees that nested on my porch. Since I had made the call to report the bees, but wasn't paying for the exterminator, I decided to tip the exterminator. She seemed very surprised and grateful that I did that. I also had the windshield in my car replaced by one of those mobile glass replacement companies that the insurance company sent over. I tipped him too. Again, seemed very surprised.

So is tipping the norm here? Or no?

Funny thing, the exterminator said to me "Well bless your heart" when I gave her the tip..From reading other posts on this board, was she being secretly rude to me, or just thanking me?

:-)

She was definitely thanking you

"well bless your heart" has two different meanings depending on the situation. In this one I believe she was showing her complete but pleasant surprise at your gesture, and giving you a sincere thank you. Kind of akin to saying "aren't you sweet!".

Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 AM

674 posts, read 799,102 times
You people obviously over-tip. Northeasterners seem to have more of an entitlement issue when it comes to service and expect to be tipped for doing what they are paid to do in the first place. Service people like bug killers, windshield guys, etc are not supposed to be tipped. That is just ridiculous. The only exception is holiday tips.

Some pointers for you. It's not a North vs. South thing, either. Most people have no clue when tipping is appripriate.
How Much Should You Tip? - Personal Finance Advice

Old 10-02-2007, 11:31 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,753,505 times
I tip between 25-30% of any meal. Sometimes 40% if the service is exceptional.

I tip delivery guys because when I was ages 15-17 I delivered big screen TV's and furniture. Talk about back breaking work. I can't tell you how many times we would pull up to Mcmansion and the owner would say yep 3rd floor bonus room please. Eh, no problem sir.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:33 AM

928 posts, read 3,843,244 times
I grew up in the north in NY and do not tip. I do tip in food service situations and that's about it. I do not tip the Chili's girl for ringing up my to go order or the star bucks people. Maybe i'm cheap.

I've never encountered a situation in Charlotte where tipping was expected for doing a service or their job.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:44 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,753,505 times
Nah, your not cheap. I don't tip for to go orders either.

I have always thought it was kind of weird to see those tip jars when your picking up the food, or coffee.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:52 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,385,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
I grew up in the north in NY and do not tip. I do tip in food service situations and that's about it. I do not tip the Chili's girl for ringing up my to go order or the star bucks people. Maybe i'm cheap.

I've never encountered a situation in Charlotte where tipping was expected for doing a service or their job.

I agree with the to go tipping. Seemes like there's one of those jars everywhere now. I would be broke if I put money in all of them, so I boycott the whole concept except in extreme situations where a worker goes out of the way. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer tips the pizza maker, but the pizza maker turns his back and doesnt see him. However, I have tipped the chef for OUTSTANDING food before and I have been tipped as a former manager of a Domino's pizza in Buffalo (I didnt make much money there, so I gladly accepted the tips). I do tip pizza drivers because of the convenience factor and I know about the wear and tear on vehicles, etc. Good service in a restuarant gets 15-25%; bad service gets two pennis so they know I didnt just forget to tip them.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:04 PM

928 posts, read 3,843,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I agree with the to go tipping. Seemes like there's one of those jars everywhere now. I would be broke if I put money in all of them, so I boycott the whole concept except in extreme situations where a worker goes out of the way. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer tips the pizza maker, but the pizza maker turns his back and doesnt see him. However, I have tipped the chef for OUTSTANDING food before and I have been tipped as a former manager of a Domino's pizza in Buffalo (I didnt make much money there, so I gladly accepted the tips). I do tip pizza drivers because of the convenience factor and I know about the wear and tear on vehicles, etc. Good service in a restuarant gets 15-25%; bad service gets two pennis so they know I didnt just forget to tip them.
Grooves - I tip the pizza person, especially since the $1.50 dominos charges usually goes to the chain. I'm not cheap but I do not feel that everyone deserves a tip.

Now, for bad service, that's when My NY comes out, I will give a tip, but it won't be monetary. I prefer chain resturants too because I know what I will get, Cracker Barrell serves the same food from state to state, I hate these suprises that people try to throw at you. IN NY we never ate at chain resturnats because the local places either had great food or you stay away.

I loved Friendlys Chain but the one in huntersville has horrible service.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:16 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,385,386 times
It's usually half of the $1.50 that goes to the store, not the chain. You have to remember too that all the Domino's in Charlotte are franchise owned (but they are all owned by the same person). The half of that delivery charge goes to the store and not really Domino's. The franchisee I worked for in Buffalo lived in the delivery area and was just running her own business. Generally, I prefer local eateries but chains sometimes have advantages (consistency, sometimes sanitation procedures are stricter, etc). I can name quite a few locally owned resturants that are good and consistent too.

In regards to tipping, just watch Steve Buscemi in the first 5 minutes of "Reservoir Dogs."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte