Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:00 PM

674 posts, read 804,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomnNC View Post
I feel no need to add more info.
Well praise baby Jesus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Another thing you don’t see in the NFL is 100k plus attending a single event.

You also don’t have NFL fans arriving on Wednesday and leaving on Monday.

I have never seen a fight in the stands at a NASCAR race. I did, however see a “yuppie couple” get in a fight in the Clear Water Suite last October. I guess it’s one of those “sophisticated” things.

Every NFL and MLB game I have been to there were fights in the stands.
Did you get your Hepatitis shots yet? Apparently the government recommends that.

Joke, joke.

You NASCAR people are wayyyyy too serious. It's just cars going in a circle, let's all calm down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 02:34 PM

352 posts, read 518,462 times
its not so much that some people on here are upset about people making comments about nascar, but some people who are upset that local homeowners in the area want to try to prevent the speedway from growing.....even though the speedway was there first.

I think many people including yourself nc..fail to see the economic value of the race track and the industry to this part of the country.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:48 PM

Um, no. I already addressed this. It is a great economic boom, IT'S JUST NOT MY THING.

Lordy, lordy.

Does anyone else see the irony that the very people who freak out and have seizures when people make assumptions about the typical NASCAR fan are the same people making assumptions about those of us who may prefer a glass of wine and a night at the theater?
IRONY.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:52 PM

352 posts, read 518,462 times
i actually would love to have a glass of wine right now and will be attending The Rat Pack tomorrow night...the following day i will be attending the Bank of America 500.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:03 PM

LOL, I am waiting for my wine to chill, so come on over!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:18 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,721,860 times
I don't care for NASCAR, however NASCAR (like the Panthers of the NFL)is a major plus for the economy.

If the people support it, let him build what he wants....

You can have it both ways...

Old 10-11-2007, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,535 times
Default Yeah, right...

Just my $.02 / HO:

To start with, let me say that I am a pro race car driver & coach, so I have a vested interest in LMS being in operation.

1st of all, a drag strip is much louder than race cars inside the bowl of a banked turn NASCAR oval, so I understand the residents' concern. They may have bought into the existing situation but not the additional and exponentially greater noise of a drag strip. Unless this $60M plan (that must be some real FANCY drag strip!) includes significant noise containment and reduction technology included in it.

2nd - I agree COMPLETELY that those who move in near an existing race track have no legitimate beeoch about the results that doing so will generate.

2nd and a half - This seems to be somewhat of a trend: Roebling Road in Savannah, GA (Bloomingdale, technically) has had to deal with neighborhoods surrounding it creating LOTS of trouble for it and attempts to close it; Road Atlanta in Braselton, GA (North of Atlanta) got residential zoning just outside of the track and the new residents immmediately set out to close the track due to the noise that came from the track area they knew they were moving into. They actually made some progress too... not enough though, thankfully. There are other examples...

3rdly - Bruton is a blowhard and a bully. He's not going to find ANYWHERE in the Charlotte area outside of where the track is already located that will take in such an enterprise. I don't care how much money he thinks he has, it ain't enough to pull THAT crap off. He just dropped yet another notch in my respectometer. A-whole...

Why not build a drag strip in another area that could deal with the noise better and use the economic stimulation? I can remember when there used to be drag races down pit road in "Charlotte Motor Speedway" before Bruton was bigtime - why not do that again? Then it's still on campus and costs way less...

IF he does move (as if...) he'll surely take NASCAR with him, so who'd be crazy enough to buy the huge niche facility that is LMS - knowing that there's no hope of landing a Cup gig, and demo costs would be astronimcal? Bruton's WAY too savvy a business man to sit on a lemon while building/owning a grapefruit elsewhere... I think he's bluffing and bullying like a 4 year old to get what he wants.

Unfortunately, he's got enough $ to make others think he should get (or they need to give him) his way. They're already caving with tax incentives, etc. Yeah, that's what the track and Bruton need and certainly what'll benefit the community more ~ fixing it so it/he doesn't have to pay (as much) taxes, stealing right out of their own hands some of the revenue they get from the place...

It's certainly a stickey wickett, no matter how you look at it. :-|

Cheers,
C

Last edited by cgh1; 10-11-2007 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: corrections

Old 10-12-2007, 07:25 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
Has anyone heard the latest?? Now the city of Concord is offering Smith tax incentives to stay. Just think.....had they just let him build the drag strip to begin with they would have saved 2 1/2 million dollars. OOPS!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:21 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Has anyone heard the latest?? Now the city of Concord is offering Smith tax incentives to stay. Just think.....had they just let him build the drag strip to begin with they would have saved 2 1/2 million dollars. OOPS!!!!!!
It will be much more than that when the dust settles. My guess is that the tax incentives will be north of $10 million when it’s finally settled.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:24 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
Probably right.....they just opened a bucket of worms!!! I mean it represents 70% of their revenues.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte