Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:34 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,844,585 times

Advertisements

Well as a 38 year Charlotte 'home boy', I have to say that this thread has been interesting.

When I first heard about this story, I was like "Bruton Smith is a terrorist. He's holding Concord hostage and I hope they call his bluff."

Then, I started to get my senses and I asked myself, "Self, what would Concord be without this track?"

Answer, not much.

So while I think Bruton is flexing his muscle and being a bit of a bully, I think he's earned it.

Go take a visit to the 'other' mall in Concord, and the whole 601 corridor towads Kannapolis....both small towns had huge textile plants that are now closed and deteriorating. If not for Dale Earnhardt (Kannapolis) and Bruton Smith(LMS and NASCAR in Concord), they'd be small rural areas and not the economical powerhouses that they are now...well...that Concord is now, anyway.

I think the posters that have brought up the fact that it was the council's change in zoning that make this quite scary are on to something too. That's just not right, ya know?

Just my .2 cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 09:39 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,308,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgh1 View Post
Just my $.02 / HO:

To start with, let me say that I am a pro race car driver & coach, so I have a vested interest in LMS being in operation.

1st of all, a drag strip is much louder than race cars inside the bowl of a banked turn NASCAR oval, so I understand the residents' concern. They may have bought into the existing situation but not the additional and exponentially greater noise of a drag strip. Unless this $60M plan (that must be some real FANCY drag strip!) includes significant noise containment and reduction technology included in it.

2nd - I agree COMPLETELY that those who move in near an existing race track have no legitimate beeoch about the results that doing so will generate.

2nd and a half - This seems to be somewhat of a trend: Roebling Road in Savannah, GA (Bloomingdale, technically) has had to deal with neighborhoods surrounding it creating LOTS of trouble for it and attempts to close it; Road Atlanta in Braselton, GA (North of Atlanta) got residential zoning just outside of the track and the new residents immmediately set out to close the track due to the noise that came from the track area they knew they were moving into. They actually made some progress too... not enough though, thankfully. There are other examples...

3rdly - Bruton is a blowhard and a bully. He's not going to find ANYWHERE in the Charlotte area outside of where the track is already located that will take in such an enterprise. I don't care how much money he thinks he has, it ain't enough to pull THAT crap off. He just dropped yet another notch in my respectometer. A-whole...

Why not build a drag strip in another area that could deal with the noise better and use the economic stimulation? I can remember when there used to be drag races down pit road in "Charlotte Motor Speedway" before Bruton was bigtime - why not do that again? Then it's still on campus and costs way less...

IF he does move (as if...) he'll surely take NASCAR with him, so who'd be crazy enough to buy the huge niche facility that is LMS - knowing that there's no hope of landing a Cup gig, and demo costs would be astronimcal? Bruton's WAY too savvy a business man to sit on a lemon while building/owning a grapefruit elsewhere... I think he's bluffing and bullying like a 4 year old to get what he wants.

Unfortunately, he's got enough $ to make others think he should get (or they need to give him) his way. They're already caving with tax incentives, etc. Yeah, that's what the track and Bruton need and certainly what'll benefit the community more ~ fixing it so it/he doesn't have to pay (as much) taxes, stealing right out of their own hands some of the revenue they get from the place...

It's certainly a stickey wickett, no matter how you look at it. :-|

Cheers,
C

Yours is the best post I've seen on the subject of the drag strip/neighborhood controversy - good job!

Old 10-12-2007, 09:41 AM

674 posts, read 795,853 times
Quote:
Go take a visit to the 'other' mall in Concord, and the whole 601 corridor towads Kannapolis....both small towns had huge textile plants that are now closed and deteriorating. If not for Dale Earnhardt (Kannapolis) and Bruton Smith(LMS and NASCAR in Concord), they'd be small rural areas and not the economical powerhouses that they are now...well...that Concord is now, anyway.
Clearly you have not been around that area lately. They are building this little thing called a research campus? Ever heard of it?

Yes, the speedway is integral in the economy, but don't act like the area is a dilapidated mess for god's sake.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:44 AM

241 posts, read 752,858 times
Ever heard of something called being 'tactful'? I am not sure they teach classes on that
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Clearly you have not been around that area lately. They are building this little thing called a research campus? Ever heard of it?

Yes, the speedway is integral in the economy, but don't act like the area is a dilapidated mess for god's sake.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post

I have multiple commercial properties in that area, I know it pretty well.

Do you really think that research campus would be coming in without the infrastructure that the Speedway facility has brought in?

Have you been in the businesses in that area and seen what they are ALL staking their businesses on?

Everything from fast food to office building are decorated with art and Sam Bass prints of NASCAR themes.

I don't think the area is a dilapidated mess, actually quite the contrary.

What I am saying is that if you take the speedway out of the equation, it would be a dilapidated mess, that's all.

My grandfather paved LMS. I have a pic in one of the old old race programs. Back then NASCAR was nothing and so was Concord. When NASCAR became popular, Concord was a huge beneficiary.

Without Bruton's track, the area simply wouldn't be what it is.

That's what I am trying to convey.

Take a ride to Darlington or North Wilksboro, you'll see what I mean.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:54 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,202,578 times
Very good explaination!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I have multiple commercial properties in that area, I know it pretty well.

Do you really think that research campus would be coming in without the infrastructure that the Speedway facility has brought in?

Have you been in the businesses in that area and seen what they are ALL staking their businesses on?

Everything from fast food to office building are decorated with art and Sam Bass prints of NASCAR themes.

I don't think the area is a dilapidated mess, actually quite the contrary.

What I am saying is that if you take the speedway out of the equation, it would be a dilapidated mess, that's all.

My grandfather paved LMS. I have a pic in one of the old old race programs. Back then NASCAR was nothing and so was Concord. When NASCAR became popular, Concord was a huge beneficiary.

Without Bruton's track, the area simply wouldn't be what it is.

That's what I am trying to convey.

Take a ride to Darlington or North Wilksboro, you'll see what I mean.
Nobody is disputing that Concord would be a lot different today without the speedway. But that doesn't mean it would be a ghost town either. Even without the speedway it's proximity to Charlotte would have still have made it a bedroom community. Maybe it just would have been a sleepier, less densely populated bedroom community - but still a nice area.

The speedway is not what anyone is having a problem with - it's the new drag strip that people are complaining about, as it will be MUCH louder and will be used more often.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Nobody is disputing that Concord would be a lot different today without the speedway. But that doesn't mean it would be a ghost town either. Even without the speedway it's proximity to Charlotte would have still have made it a bedroom community. Maybe it just would have been a sleepier, less densely populated bedroom community - but still a nice area.

The speedway is not what anyone is having a problem with - it's the new drag strip that people are complaining about, as it will be MUCH louder and will be used more often.
That's reasonable, lovesmountains, but it still amazes me that folks have a hard time seeing how 'what might have been' doesn't really matter.

Fact is, it has some real economic strength and it is drawing corporate businesses and, like ncisgreat so eloquently put it, the research park.

That being said, reality is that LMS and Bruton Smith played a large role in that. He had money invested when everyone said "NASCAR will only be for rednecks and drunks". Now those so-called 'rednecks and drunks' that Bruton believed in have made Concord what it is.

Like it or not, the town is known for it's motorsports. While a drag strip might upset a few locals, the overall good for the city (and county for that matter) is rather inarguable, in my opinion.

I agree with you that Concord might have been a Monroe or maybe even a Gastonia, but I haven't driven to either of those towns for as much business or pleasure as I have Concord. And without Bruton and his track(s), no one else would either. It wouldn't be the 'destination' locale that it is today.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
That's reasonable, lovesmountains, but it still amazes me that folks have a hard time seeing how 'what might have been' doesn't really matter.

Fact is, it has some real economic strength and it is drawing corporate businesses and, like ncisgreat so eloquently put it, the research park.

That being said, reality is that LMS and Bruton Smith played a large role in that. He had money invested when everyone said "NASCAR will only be for rednecks and drunks". Now those so-called 'rednecks and drunks' that Bruton believed in have made Concord what it is.

Like it or not, the town is known for it's motorsports. While a drag strip might upset a few locals, the overall good for the city (and county for that matter) is rather inarguable, in my opinion.

I agree with you that Concord might have been a Monroe or maybe even a Gastonia, but I haven't driven to either of those towns for as much business or pleasure as I have Concord. And without Bruton and his track(s), no one else would either. It wouldn't be the 'destination' locale that it is today.

Not to be argumentative , but maybe some of the locals would have preferred it never become a "destination locale"? I'm just saying, sure it would not be what it is today, but that might not have been the end of the world

But all that is really beside the point and not at all worth arguing over. Most everyone agrees the speedway is a huge factor in the health of the economy of the area now.

Some of us just don't care for Bruton's steamrolling, bullying ways of doing things. A lot of this whole mess could have been avoided if he had gone thru the proper channels AND assured the nearby neighbors of his intent to make things as soundproof as possible for them. As I have repeatedly said, this new dragstrip will be used much more frequently and be much louder, so I can certainly understand homeowners concerns.

BTW, how cool that your grandfather helped pave the speedway! Did he ever go to races after helping build the place?

Old 10-12-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Not to be argumentative , but maybe some of the locals would have preferred it never become a "destination locale"? I'm just saying, sure it would not be what it is today, but that might not have been the end of the world
You're not being argumentative, we're just having a discussion. And I'm sure if you talk to someone who has been in Concord their whole life and loved it when racing was small and all this growth wasn't there, they'd agree with you. Heck, I agree with you. I hate that area anytime anything's going on out there.

Quote:
But all that is really beside the point and not at all worth arguing over. Most everyone agrees the speedway is a huge factor in the health of the economy of the area now.
This is where you and I get on the same page and is exactly what I was saying.

Quote:
Some of us just don't care for Bruton's steamrolling, bullying ways of doing things. A lot of this whole mess could have been avoided if he had gone thru the proper channels AND assured the nearby neighbors of his intent to make things as soundproof as possible for them. As I have repeatedly said, this new dragstrip will be used much more frequently and be much louder, so I can certainly understand homeowners concerns.
Well most of this I completely agree with you on. I'm not so sure about the 'proper channels' and 'soundproof as possible' for a drag strip, but I'm in full agreement with being against Bruton's steamrolling and I can understand the concern of the homeowners as well. I just think it's one of those necessary evils that goes with the territory of having something like LMS in your market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte