Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:10 PM

674 posts, read 795,748 times

Advertisements

First of all, a drag strip is ADDITIONAL noise on a MORE FREQUENT BASIS. That is NOT what residents signed up for. Secondly, Bruton is not going to find anywhere in Meck Co where he would not get the same, if not louder, protests for a new speedway. Charlotte residents have more money and are even more vocal. It won't fly near eastablished Charlotte neighborhoods that NEVER signed on to live near a Speedway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 11:11 PM

674 posts, read 795,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Go Bruton!!! I hope these city officials (who should be reeling from losing the Philip Morris plant) realize what they're risking by kow-towing to the vocal minority of NIMBY's.
Fine, keep the rednecks in Cabarrus County. Bad enough I have to deal with them during Speed Street when I am trying to get my after-work glass of wine at a fine eatery.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:51 AM

84 posts, read 299,505 times
Default Easy there, young fella...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Fine, keep the rednecks in Cabarrus County. Bad enough I have to deal with them during Speed Street when I am trying to get my after-work glass of wine at a fine eatery.
Not sure who you are referring to with the term "rednecks", but the fine southern folks have some nice country here in the south.

I spent many a Saturday night at the drags in Long Beach, California while growing up and I do miss it. Now that I am in my 60's, I am not sure I would go more than once.

However, I would rather have our youth attending a drag race than be in one. There are an awful lot of farm families out there that are going to get rich selling their property for such a venture.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:32 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,607,088 times
Growing up in the state of NIMBY (oops, I mean CT), I regularly attended the drag races every weekend at the CT International Raceway in Colchester. Of course, the handful of people who bought homes near the track started to complain about the noise and traffic on the weekends. Eventually, the city forced the owners to sell the track (interesting side note, for those who may not know, that's now the Consumer Reports automotive testing facility).

One less fun, safe, interesting activity gone. Many others have followed. Needless to say, of course, the occurences of illegal street racing in the area increased.

I hope this can be resolved. I'd prefer not to have to drive out to Rockingham, Bristol, Commerce, or Darlington.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:48 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,302,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
First of all, a drag strip is ADDITIONAL noise on a MORE FREQUENT BASIS. That is NOT what residents signed up for. Secondly, Bruton is not going to find anywhere in Meck Co where he would not get the same, if not louder, protests for a new speedway. Charlotte residents have more money and are even more vocal. It won't fly near eastablished Charlotte neighborhoods that NEVER signed on to live near a Speedway!
I totally agree with you - a whole new drag strip is not what anybody signed on for living next too - that would mean much more frequent noise on a regular basis and worse traffic near their homes. Concord is trying to protect their citizens from this thing be forced on them, but Bruton is unfortunately holding all the cards.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,696,288 times
Default spoiled brat!

The first thing that came to mind when I read about Bruton Smith's threat to remove Lowe's Motor Speedway was: What a spoiled brat!
What businessman in their right mind makes ultimatums like that?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:07 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,201,299 times
One that has the POWER/MONEY to do it!! And he has both!!!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:14 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,745,262 times
While I absolutely love drag racing I can understand where the homeowners are coming from.

Have any of you every been to a NHRA sanctioned event? The cars have thousands of horsepower, it's almost mandatory to wear ear plugs, and they will literally shake your insides numb.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:17 AM

245 posts, read 264,217 times
It's like moving next to the aiport and complaining about the airplanes overhead. Some of the neighborhoods around there you can see the race track why start complaining now? Should've moved further up the road IMO.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:38 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,727,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
While I absolutely love drag racing I can understand where the homeowners are coming from.

Have any of you every been to a NHRA sanctioned event? The cars have thousands of horsepower, it's almost mandatory to wear ear plugs, and they will literally shake your insides numb.
Pomona for the start and end of the season since the 70’s. Also street legal drags, swap meet, LA County fair.

Every Wednesday night at OCIR in CA in the 70’s for bracket racing and every NHRA sanctioned event.

Homes in Pomona are much closer to the fairgrounds area than they are at Lowes and none of them are less than $1million and most are several million.

A drag strip would be a fantastic addition to the area. The noise wouldn’t be that big a deal, depending on how many NHRA events they are able to attract. If they have street legal drag events they wouldn’t be anywhere near as loud as the dirt track that is already there.
The revenue Concord stands to gain or lose should be carefully looked at before they let a few NIMBY’s make the decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte