Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:03 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,722,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
I have to agree, why would someone buy a house near something they don't want to be near. When moving to NC, you have the choice of where to buy. Lowe's was there before you and if it was to move, I hope they move it to Union County. I would love to have them near me. I actually looked at buying in Riverwalk because of the great view of Lowe's and being so close. But the houses were way too close to me instead. Maybe Bruton would say good ridance to those who are against the speedway, cuz you do need to move.
Move it to Monroe. There’s plenty of room down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 01:13 PM

245 posts, read 263,305 times
I think the Dirt Track runs every weekend too. I am no means an expert in NASCAR or anything related

Old 10-03-2007, 01:17 PM

36 posts, read 94,032 times
I think that a compromise will be reached however it would be interesting to see the result if Smith has to move the raceway. Would the speedway move to Charlotte proper or to Ft. Mill or Gaston County? He has said that it will stay in the Charlotte area. Also, what would happen to the 2 condos at the track? If you're a diehard fan, that's the place to live (and there are two for sale currently).

If the Monroe Bypass was bad, you have seen NIMBY complaints like I would expect to see.

The speedway land is valuable and would most likely be sold and developed for more housing. and possibly light retail.

Another side effect could be if losing the race track would negatively affect the east line of the new light rail.

We shall see.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:19 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,722,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You are not understanding the point - we are not talking about the current race track - of course folks knew that was there, Bruton wants to build a whole new dragway.
I clearly understand the point. I also have a better than average understanding of what a drag strip is, what it does for the economy, what it sounds like, what it smells like, what it feels like making a pass, how well it works as a place for racers to legally race on a closed track instead of the street.

My question to you and those that object to the drag strip;
Do you know anything about a drag strip?
Have you ever been to an NHRA event?
Are the current racetracks asphalt and dirt too noisy for you?
Is the traffic a problem for you?
Did you buy next to the race track thinking “NASCAR racing is a fad” that will go away and I will be sitting pretty when they tear down that eyesore and build more homes and “shopping”.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:20 PM

245 posts, read 263,305 times
If anything it would be moved closer to Mooresville IMO as this is where most of the race shops are now. Plus there is a small airport there.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:16 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,824,362 times
That could also expedite light-rail service north . I remember reading at one time that the owner of the speedway was considering monorail to the racetrack? Otherwise, I-77 would be ridiculous during race weekends.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:58 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,887,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
That could also expedite light-rail service north . I remember reading at one time that the owner of the speedway was considering monorail to the racetrack? Otherwise, I-77 would be ridiculous during race weekends.
I had read in Forbes that Bruton Smith had pledged $50 million for the monorail system project.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:44 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,330,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
First of all, a drag strip is ADDITIONAL noise on a MORE FREQUENT BASIS. That is NOT what residents signed up for.
Did the residents who moved into those homes next to a race track sign something saying there wouldn't be any additional events that go above a certain decibel level?

I could understand an argument if there was no track at all and all of a sudden one is going up (like the risk that would be facing the area where a new track would go). That would be a group of people who "didn't sign up for this". If you move next to a major race track you either accept any of the risks that go along with moving next to a track or you move out if it gets to be too much. What would be next, petitioning to knock down the two big race weekends down to one because there's too much noise and traffic to begin with? You moved next to a major race track!!!!!!! Like I said in my second post on this thread, you can't move next to Charlotte/Douglas and suddely protest against more airplanes flying overhead.

Bruton Smith isn't making too many additional allies sounding like he's throwing a tantrum, but separate the tantrum from what's actually going on. He should be able to lay his drag strip down without any interference. If that track goes additional surrounding jobs go. If they go then the value of far more than 200 homes go with it. What would Cabarrus county be left with? The county's been hit hard enough this year between Philip Morris and the CTC/Windstream deal. Scott Padgett will eventually relent with the "Whoa, whoa...wait...let's sit down and talk about this one now" tone he took. He can't let it leave I don't think he will.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:54 PM

550 posts, read 1,797,025 times
Moving it to Mooresville or Uptown would be a ridiculous strain on the city's already lacking transportation system.

Someone needs to widen I-77 all the way to Statesville....

Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,178,453 times
I remember the first sign of urban life on 85 south after Salisbury was when you reach Harris Blvd so any development housing etc happen way after the speedway was build it was still mostly no man's land in the 90's.

This is about as bad as residents complaining about the noise from patrons at Birkdale village and they are even complaining about delivery trucks back up beep trying to make deliveries to the shops at Birkdale.

Same thing is happening with light rail. Residents who chose to live by the line are already complaining about the noise of the train and it not even in public use yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte