Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 PM

743 posts, read 2,230,103 times

Advertisements

Another thing these residents need to understand is TAXES!!! If Lowe's and Concord Airport are both relocated, where will Concord make up for the lost taxes, YOUR POCKET> Somebody has to make up the difference since this money is already budgeted. I for one would just suck it up and enjoy the lower taxes, not to mention the new drag way will be even more tax revenue. Think of the whole area and not just yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 AM

245 posts, read 263,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota4791 View Post
Moving it to Mooresville or Uptown would be a ridiculous strain on the city's already lacking transportation system.

Someone needs to widen I-77 all the way to Statesville....

And how do you suggest they do it where it crosses Lake Norman? We will need more fund than the state is willing to give.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:33 AM

870 posts, read 3,510,262 times
Before anyone makes the comments about Bruton being a bully or spoiled brat. Even the comments about him cutting down the trees without permission, need to look at the legal documents and the leases before listening to what you hear on local tv or read in the Charlotte Disturber. To them it is all doom and gloom.

Bruton is the landowner and is well within his rights and bounderies. The property he is building on has been owned since the 1950's, long before any of the houses went up. It has always been designated as a speed park and the plans for a dragstrip were in the documents in the 1970's. The residents either didn't read the public records or were misled into their homes by the real estate agents.

The trees Bruton cut down were on his property, private property at that. Why is that any different than uptown Charlotte cutting down trees in order to put up parking garages and buildings. Oh that's right, one is the city government and the other is a private citizen. How many trees along Providence Road or Rea Road have been cut down for these new shopping centers?

Bruton, stand your ground. Move the track and teach the whiners about business. Think they will be happy when the Concord Mills Mall closes and all the restaurants have no business because the track is gone? I will be happy to help you move to a new location.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:05 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,610,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Before anyone makes the comments about Bruton being a bully or spoiled brat. Even the comments about him cutting down the trees without permission, need to look at the legal documents and the leases before listening to what you hear on local tv or read in the Charlotte Disturber. To them it is all doom and gloom.

Bruton is the landowner and is well within his rights and bounderies. The property he is building on has been owned since the 1950's, long before any of the houses went up. It has always been designated as a speed park and the plans for a dragstrip were in the documents in the 1970's. The residents either didn't read the public records or were misled into their homes by the real estate agents.

The trees Bruton cut down were on his property, private property at that. Why is that any different than uptown Charlotte cutting down trees in order to put up parking garages and buildings. Oh that's right, one is the city government and the other is a private citizen. How many trees along Providence Road or Rea Road have been cut down for these new shopping centers?

Bruton, stand your ground. Move the track and teach the whiners about business. Think they will be happy when the Concord Mills Mall closes and all the restaurants have no business because the track is gone? I will be happy to help you move to a new location.
Very well said and all true. Nothing else to add, good job!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 AM

674 posts, read 793,036 times
Actually, that is not really well-said at all. Just because you own land does not mean you can do things on that land if the annexation is not appropriate or if it violates ordinance. The area has zoning regulations and permit requirements that developers must obtain BEFORE construction projects like Bruton's drag strip are built. The mayor asserts that these were among the issues by which the decision was made.

I own land in north Meck but I can't build an Exxon on it. Come on.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:02 AM

674 posts, read 793,036 times
This blog entry is much more well-said, written by a die-hard race fan and reporter:
Quote:
Bruton is a smart man, he has developed hundreds of projects like this around the country and he knows what the zoning requirements are, but he chose to begin construction anyway basically saying that he doesn’t have to play by the same rules that everyone else.
As is the case with most of Bruton's antics, this is pretty much just a very cleaver publicity stunt, conveniently right before the Charlotte race.
The City of Concord has voted to shut him down (rightfully so), until the proper permits are issued and the adjacent property owners have their due process of a hearing and an opportunity to voice their concerns. In response, Bruton is throwing a tantrum and threatening to shut down the entire Lowes Motor Speedway project and build another track somewhere else unless the City of Concord caves to his demands.
I know that eventually the City with give Bruton his way, but I say they should take a stand, call his bluff and throw him a going away party. Maybe his billions can by a new speedway and drag strip, but wouldn’t it be nice if the City of Concord would say that he couldn’t buy their politicians?

Old 10-04-2007, 10:24 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,172,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
This blog entry is much more well-said, written by a die-hard race fan and reporter:
NOW there is nothing left to add - great post!

Old 10-04-2007, 10:26 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,885,851 times
CMS (Lowe's) is almost 50 years old. There comes a point when upgrades and maintenance are just too inadequate and costly to continue. I would like to see a new track with all of the state-of-art amenities. My pick would be to have a new mega motorsport park centrally located between the Triangle, Triad and Charlotte population centers. Randolph County?

Old 10-04-2007, 03:32 PM

62 posts, read 296,923 times
If you could personally ask Bruton a question on this subject, what would you ask? (I'd like serious responses please)

Old 10-05-2007, 07:04 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,170,888 times
The wheels are already turning to lure the Speedway just over the NC/SC stateline

Hey, Bruton, move the speedway here
The Herald - Life. Captured Every Day. - Serving York, Chester, and Lancaster Counties.
The Herald - Life. Captured Every Day. - Serving York, Chester, and Lancaster Counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte