Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 04:20 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,012 times

Advertisements

Speedway Owner Threatens To Take Business Out Of Concord - Sports News Story - WSOC Charlotte

It sounds like a whole lot of posturing on Burton Smith's part. However if he's serious about having a new one built in Charlotte in an 11 month span, Cabarrus county and the Speedway Blvd area will have a major problem on it's hands should he pack up and leave.

If I were city officials I wouldn't be sleeping well right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 04:37 PM

373 posts, read 1,472,061 times
I think Burton Smith usually 'says what he means and means what he says'.

We shall see....

Old 10-02-2007, 05:03 PM

241 posts, read 755,820 times
One thing is for sure, NASCAR isnt leaving Charlotte. I feel bad for Concord and Cabarrus County. The funds those races bring in is astronomical. I just hope they dont head towards Monroe; a town which has land and a fully operational airport.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:25 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
[url=http://www.wsoctv.com/sports/14251573/detail.html]If I were city officials I wouldn't be sleeping well right now.
Go Bruton!!! I hope these city officials (who should be reeling from losing the Philip Morris plant) realize what they're risking by kow-towing to the vocal minority of NIMBY's.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Speedway Owner Threatens To Take Business Out Of Concord - Sports News Story - WSOC Charlotte

It sounds like a whole lot of posturing on Burton Smith's part. However if he's serious about having a new one built in Charlotte in an 11 month span, Cabarrus county and the Speedway Blvd area will have a major problem on it's hands should he pack up and leave.

If I were city officials I wouldn't be sleeping well right now.
I think Bruton Smith is being a bully. I hate that Concord is going to have to give in to his demands to keep something the area so desparately values.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:01 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think Bruton Smith is being a bully. I hate that Concord is going to have to give in to his demands to keep something the area so desparately values.
Worse than what the area values but that it desperately needs. They have no leverage in this instance. It's either let 'em lay down the drag strip or Concord dies a slow death.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:08 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Worse than what the area values but that it desperately needs. They have no leverage in this instance. It's either let 'em lay down the drag strip or Concord dies a slow death.
Don't know if you were here a few years ago when Bruton had acres of trees cut down near the speedway to expand either a parking lot or camping area, even though he had been denied county permission to do it! He sneakily had his people go in and mow them down. Once the deed was done all the county could do was fine him, but he didn't care - he got what he wanted any way he had to get it - BULLY.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
The speedway needs to be uptown anyways let it be Concord's loss for letting only a select view cost the city millions in tourism revenue. The residents knew better than to move near a RACE TRACK if they didnt want to hear noise. I dont think Concord leaders actually thought about the amount of revenue and jobs racing brings to the area.

Bruton you are my HERO for the week for not putting up with a few whiners!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:56 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
I understand the town council voted against this (they prob have their own agenda), but how do the actuall RESIDENTS in Concord feel about this? Is it just a few whiney residents or is it a large segment of the population against it?

Old 10-02-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The residents knew better than to move near a RACE TRACK if they didnt want to hear noise.
That's where the residents really don't get my sympathy here. If you move near a race track you're going to have accept levels of noise. You can't move to an area close to Charlotte/Douglas and all of a sudden tell them that they can't fly anymore planes overhead.

Still, Concord needs that track more than the track needs Concord. This town has suffered enough blows betwen the layoffs from the CTC/Windstream deal and the Philip Morris plant closing. Bruton Smith knows this and it looks like a classic case of negotiating through the media. In the end Concord has to bow to what he wants. They can ill afford to lose the revenue that track generates, especially because of a few residents who decided to make a little more noise than the drag strip would've.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte