U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,215,987 times

Advertisements

Received a couple of coupons in the mail; am considering getting this done before winter. Has anyone had any dealings with Alpine Air or Air Care Solutions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 11:38 PM

never mind. Just saw that neither of them have good ratings with the BBB. Many complaints...most having to do with similar coupon offers.

OK..does anyone have a company to recommend that does air duct cleaning?

Old 08-04-2012, 02:54 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,584,085 times
Something to consider. If you have any ductwork that is made from fiberboard, then it can't be cleaned. If it has mold in it, it has to be replaced. I'm doubtful about cleaning flextube as well. It's easier to replace.

In any case, I'd stick to companies that do full HVAC installs.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Something to consider. If you have any ductwork that is made from fiberboard, then it can't be cleaned. If it has mold in it, it has to be replaced. I'm doubtful about cleaning flextube as well. It's easier to replace.

In any case, I'd stick to companies that do full HVAC installs.
hmmmm. no idea what my ductwork is made of. thanks.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
hmmmm. no idea what my ductwork is made of. thanks.
Knowledge is power. The more you can find out about what you have, the less likely you will get a bad deal.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:44 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,086,900 times
I have had two people (my neighbor with a 50+ year old house) and (a friend with a 20+ year old house) say they had duct cleaning done and it was a joke. Both said they believed they were ripped off and neither felt it made any difference.

I think I will pass on having mine cleaned ...

Old 08-04-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I have had two people (my neighbor with a 50+ year old house) and (a friend with a 20+ year old house) say they had duct cleaning done and it was a joke. Both said they believed they were ripped off and neither felt it made any difference.

I think I will pass on having mine cleaned ...

thanks. That is actually what I have thought for a long time. However, I seem to have an EXTREME amount of dust in my house (and I am allergic to dust) so I was thinking that maybe that was the answer. I am sure that you are right, however.

Wish that I had the capability to do more diagnostic stuff around here.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:00 AM

My guess is that if you live in a house that was built in the last 20 years and it's in a subdivision built by one of the national builders, then I would say there is a good chance you have a venting system built out of fiberboard and flextube. They will use the fiberboard to make a distribution box that is off the end of your air handler, and then from that the flextube will run to your vents. There might be fiberboard on your return air as well.

The easiest way to determine this is to look in your crawlspace and/or attic. Fiberboard will look like a box covered in foil. It's actually a sheet of fiberglass that's covered in foil on one side. They will cut it and use tape to form a box for your distribution system. The other side of the fiberboard is simply fiberglass insulation. You can find it at Lowes or HD if you want to see what it looks like.

The problem with fiberboard is that it will start to disintegrate over time from the inside. It will also tend to collect moisture since the inside isn't sealed and this can cause mold to grow in it. This can cause the dust you are seeing as well as aggravate allergies. The only way to fix it, is to have it rebuilt with metal ductwork that is wrapped in insulation. It can't be cleaned. That's best done when you are replacing the HVAC system. You should not have to change out the flextube unless it has become split or damaged.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:56 AM

3,237 posts, read 5,086,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
My guess is that if you live in a house that was built in the last 20 years and it's in a subdivision built by one of the national builders, then I would say there is a good chance you have a venting system built out of fiberboard and flextube. They will use the fiberboard to make a distribution box that is off the end of your air handler, and then from that the flextube will run to your vents. There might be fiberboard on your return air as well.

The easiest way to determine this is to look in your crawlspace and/or attic. Fiberboard will look like a box covered in foil. It's actually a sheet of fiberglass that's covered in foil on one side. They will cut it and use tape to form a box for your distribution system. The other side of the fiberboard is simply fiberglass insulation. You can find it at Lowes or HD if you want to see what it looks like.

The problem with fiberboard is that it will start to disintegrate over time from the inside. It will also tend to collect moisture since the inside isn't sealed and this can cause mold to grow in it. This can cause the dust you are seeing as well as aggravate allergies. The only way to fix it, is to have it rebuilt with metal ductwork that is wrapped in insulation. It can't be cleaned. That's best done when you are replacing the HVAC system. You should not have to change out the flextube unless it has become split or damaged.
Thank for that explanation frewroad. My parents lived in a (newer) home a few years ago and we would change the air filter about once a week. It was unbelievable to me how dirty the air filter would get in just a short time. My house is 50+ years old and I check my air filter each month but most of the time it looks just as clean as when I put it in! I usually only have to change it about once every 3-4 months.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Thank for that explanation frewroad. My parents lived in a (newer) home a few years ago and we would change the air filter about once a week. It was unbelievable to me how dirty the air filter would get in just a short time. My house is 50+ years old and I check my air filter each month but most of the time it looks just as clean as when I put it in! I usually only have to change it about once every 3-4 months.
Yes, that is a great explanation, thank you. My house was built in 1989 by Ryan Homes. Several years ago, I had my HVAC replaced and had an on-furnace air cleaner added. It really does not seem to do the job. I wash the permanent air filter about once a month and, although it is dirty, it does not seem to be excessively so. Wish they had said something about the ductwork rather than the air cleaner. SIGH.

Well, that is a project to look into in the next year or so.

I am finding that this newer-built house has many problems that the houses that I grew up in (built in the early 1900's) never had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte