U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 PM

38 posts, read 221,793 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm considering employment in Charlotte and would like to live in an urban environment, where I can walk to cafes, bookstores, bars, etc. I've seen suggestions of Uptown and NoDa (not sure if this is technically considered part of Uptown or not). Anyways, I found some nice apartments that are located at 12th and Brevard, which is supposedly near Uptown and NoDa.

Anyone with an opinion on this location? Is it what I'm looking for? As far as crime goes, I'm from St. Louis and currently live in Philadelphia, so I'm not afraid of urban environments and I know to always be aware in these situations. Having said that, my girlfriend would probably be out walking the dog and things of that nature, and I want to make sure she's reasonably safe. So does this area meet that criteria?

Thanks for your help! Also, any other suggestions regarding locations/specific apartments would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 06:29 PM

241 posts, read 716,779 times
North Davidson now know as Noda is Charlotte’s Historic Arts District. The area attracts the attention of both old and new residents of Charlotte as the place to go for a bit of culture, good food, nostalgia and of course fun. Crime? Close to the city so you will be at risk for some spill-over. Other than that, real nice spot to hang your hat!!

Old 10-03-2007, 06:30 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,974,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter85 View Post
Hello all,

I'm considering employment in Charlotte and would like to live in an urban environment, where I can walk to cafes, bookstores, bars, etc. I've seen suggestions of Uptown and NoDa (not sure if this is technically considered part of Uptown or not). Anyways, I found some nice apartments that are located at 12th and Brevard, which is supposedly near Uptown and NoDa.

Anyone with an opinion on this location? Is it what I'm looking for? As far as crime goes, I'm from St. Louis and currently live in Philadelphia, so I'm not afraid of urban environments and I know to always be aware in these situations. Having said that, my girlfriend would probably be out walking the dog and things of that nature, and I want to make sure she's reasonably safe. So does this area meet that criteria?

Thanks for your help! Also, any other suggestions regarding locations/specific apartments would be greatly appreciated!
You may want to send a pm to our poster LAMF - he is a resident of NoDa and can give you some first hand info

Old 10-03-2007, 06:33 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,974,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomnNC View Post
North Davidson now know as Noda is Charlotte’s Historic Arts District. The area attracts the attention of both old and new residents of Charlotte as the place to go for a bit of culture, good food, nostalgia and of course fun. Crime? Close to the city so you will be at risk for some spill-over. Other than that, real nice spot to hang your hat!!
Tom, I just HAVE to ask...are you a travel writer by any chance?

Every one of your posts truly reads like a travelogue! (No offense intended!)

NoDa is up and coming for sure, HOWEVER, it ain't there yet. I would caution anyone interested in safety as their top priority to look elsewhere. NoDa needs another 10 years to be what it is going to be

Old 10-03-2007, 07:33 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,701,609 times
I don't think I'd say that 12th and Brevard is very close to NoDa. Right now I can't quite picture what that intersection looks like, but I do think that your girlfriend might be happier on the south side of Brookshire Freeway (Hwy 16 or Hwy 277) in what is known as the Garden District. It's within walking distance from uptown activity but not very close to NoDa.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:34 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,232,270 times
I love the NoDa area, unfortunately, you can't walk to downtown Charlotte because of the crime element in the space between. I hope that in the near future that problem is remedied.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:33 PM

330 posts, read 980,769 times
It's certainly a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Oh wait.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:22 AM

34 posts, read 144,067 times
NoDa is still a little sketchy. I did not choose to move there because I did not feel my wife would be safe walking the dog. This may not hold true if you move further from Central and Plaza. You will still be a cab ride from uptown and not too many bars to walk to within the NoDa area. Things may change but I would give it at least 3 to 5 years. There is also an area between NoDa and Uptown that is lower income and has a crime element as stated above. I do not know of the garden district but it could be worth a look. If you want more action you need to look within 277. If you want quiet and safety you will need to spend more and look into Dilworth, Elizabeth, Southend maybe. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:25 AM

34 posts, read 144,067 times
One complex worth mentioning is Eastover Ridge off Randolph Rd. This is near uptown but a little less expensive. My wife lived there forever and was always happy coming home.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:26 AM

241 posts, read 716,779 times
No, I just enjoy reading and doing research about what Charlotte has to offer its residents; both present and future. With all the growth that is happening, I think it is advantageous to see the "big picture" of what it really means to live in and around Charlotte.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Tom, I just HAVE to ask...are you a travel writer by any chance?

Every one of your posts truly reads like a travelogue! (No offense intended!)

NoDa is up and coming for sure, HOWEVER, it ain't there yet. I would caution anyone interested in safety as their top priority to look elsewhere. NoDa needs another 10 years to be what it is going to be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte