U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:53 PM

28 posts, read 35,712 times

Advertisements

I am looking to Volunteer(maybe food pantry, soup kitchen,tutoring) somewhere close to South/southwest Charlotte a couple days a week. Being new to the area, I am unsure of what organizations need the most help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,027,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedebear View Post
I am looking to Volunteer(maybe food pantry, soup kitchen,tutoring) somewhere close to South/southwest Charlotte a couple days a week. Being new to the area, I am unsure of what organizations need the most help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi!

The organization that I am involved with is made for someone like you. We have specified service events (our next serve event "7 Days of Service" will be from September 29-October 5) where you can find your niche to serve. The other benefit is that we introduce you to a number of different non-profits throughout Charlotte where you can continue your volunteering outside of our service time.

And, you can meet some great people in the process!

What If Everyone | Home

Old 08-10-2012, 09:15 PM

45,245 posts, read 95,420,515 times
Quote:
One of the churches doing a lot of outreach in southwest Charlotte is Rod of God Ministries.

Ministries & Outreaches

Uptown Crisis Assistance Ministries always needs volunteers:

Crisis Assistance Ministry

Urban Ministries is another very good group with lots of opportunities to volunteer:

Services & Programs

They coordinate one of my favorite programs that 130 or so churches around Charlotte participate in - Room In the Inn - Temporary Shelter (RITI)

And another personal favorite is A Child's Place A Child's Place

Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 PM

28 posts, read 35,712 times
Thank you for the information! I am however a little skeptical when it comes to religious groups and churches. I was raised catholic and do retain alot of the views, but when I attended my spouse's church(Nazarene) I encountered some very bad experiences (discrimination due to my religious up bringing, though we had very similar beliefs). Since then I have really been turned off to the organized religion scene, even my own.

Who knows, it may be different down here then in Maine, but it still one of those things I am uneasy about.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 PM

45,245 posts, read 95,420,515 times
Quote:
Thank you for the information! I am however a little skeptical when it comes to religious groups and churches. I was raised catholic and do retain alot of the views, but when I attended my spouse's church(Nazarene) I encountered some very bad experiences (discrimination due to my religious up bringing, though we had very similar beliefs). Since then I have really been turned off to the organized religion scene, even my own.

Who knows, it may be different down here then in Maine, but it still one of those things I am uneasy about.
The way people of faith live that faith is very different down here in the south than you see up in the northeast.

Try not to be skittish about church and faith based service groups, at least until you visit a few on your own. You're likely to be pleasantly surprised!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 PM

74 posts, read 123,755 times
Quote:

Hi tedebear!

Welcome to the area. Lately I've been yearning to go up to Maine to enjoy the bountiful lobster season. You come from a beautiful state.

The Charlotte area is pretty religious. Most volunteer opportunities begin with churches. One that does not is volunteering in the school system. Several employers (BoA is one, I believe) allow their employees to tutor a certain number of hours a month as part of their work. You might inquire at your nearest school to get info on background checks and their requirements.

Best of luck!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:42 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,027,106 times
Quote:

Well, the good news is that What if Everyone is literally for everyone! Yes, we were founded by Mosaic Church (a non-denominational contemporary church) but, we are no longer a part of them. We are our own separate entity and not tied to any church or religious organization at this time.

However, many of the non profits that we serve are religious-based, simply because that is what is predominant down here. Many other of our projects are NOT geared to any type of religion, so, that might be where you could serve while getting to know people. We have many different people that serve, many of which are not affiliated with a church. SO, that would not be a problem and you would fit in just fine!

Please keep checking back on the website as we finish coordinating our projects. The sign up will be easy and online, we use Event Brite (I think that is how the site is spelled?) to keep everything organized.

Hope to see you there. Please PM me for more information.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:15 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,275,899 times
Quote:

My mom and her sons including me were rejected by my dad's Jewish family as my mom is from India and we are not Jews. But, I don't blame all of the "organized religion scene" as most people are accepting, around here anyway. Regardless of where you volunteer, you will be helping people and the worse scenario would be that you may be invited to attend one of the services if you volunteer at a church. You should forget your past and start afresh with an open mind.

There are always schools that need volunteers in certain classes, the USO, and the rescue mission just to name a few. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:37 PM

128 posts, read 207,688 times
Try Hands on Charlotte - a great place to get plugged in to a variety of ways of volunteering - http://www.handsoncharlotte.org/. And it's not a faith based organization - although I'm sure some of the organizations that they partner with are.

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2012, 07:26 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,142,696 times
Quote:
I am unsure of what organizations need the most help.

A very important distinction. I was helping out at the local soup kitchen and people were lining up to volunteer to the point where it was tough to get on the schedule! I looked around and found that Friendship Trays (Meals on Wheels) badly needed drivers to help deliver meals, so that is what I do. I pick up the meals at the soup kitchen so I get to go in and say "hi" to my friends there.

Home | Friendship Trays | Charlotte Meals On Wheels | 704-333-9229
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>