Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times

Advertisements

Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
In the WSOC newslink, one guy said "it gives Charlotte a black eye". Can someone explain this for me because I honestly don't see how this makes Charlotte look bad?

Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
The Constitution wasn't invoked. There are other rights besides the Big C.
OK, then I will ask you what these rights might be.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:44 AM

Maybe the following video will explain why this billboard is going up in time for the DNC.

Obama on the Bible - YouTube

BTW, I agree with Obama 100% on this video.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,132,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Maybe the following video will explain why this billboard is going up in time for the DNC.

Obama on the Bible - YouTube

BTW, I agree with Obama 100% on this video.
That was a great speech. I agree with him too. That's why I think the billboard is too much. I'm all for anyone putting up a billboard for any cause, but there's no reason to promote a hateful message.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Apparently an organization of Atheists has put up some billboards in town to protest the political parties. Charlotte has them, but no billboard company in Tampa would put them up. Charlotte has both the Morman and Christian varieties. It's probably one of the more controversial billboards that I think has been put up in Charlotte. I have not seen them but the report says they are at the airport and downtown.

WSOC has a story about it, but it's in the national news as well.

Controversial atheist billboards up in Charlotte | www.wsoctv.com

This is what is on them though only one religion at a time. Pick your favorite!
For those of us who do not have a positive view of religion, the billboards are simply stating facts. I'm sure I can find bible verses or actions to support the points on the anti-Christian billboard. I know less about Mormons, but Romney's campaign has certainly brought some of the more questionable aspects of his religion to light. 30,000 views of the truth is a conservative estimate. One of the few actual facts of religion is that they are all based on individual interpretation, and faith, in the absence of facts. With that in mind, I think the billboards are simply one group's version of the truth. There are lots of ads in all types of media that I find less than pleasant, but that makes them a topic of conversation, not a violation of anyone's rights.

Being PC isn't necessary. We need less PC, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
That was a great speech. I agree with him too. That's why I think the billboard is too much. I'm all for anyone putting up a billboard for any cause, but there's no reason to promote a hateful message.
Yeah, the billboard was an "in your face" way of getting the message out there. Still though, it was funny for some of us. Then again, I never understood why religion has to be so serious anyway. Does "God" not laugh? Does "he" never joke around with his friends? The serious tone that typically comes with religion is a major turnoff for many folks. I mean think about it, if "heaven" is anything like a traditional down-south church service, I can't imagine myself enjoying it "up there". Why can't "heaven" (and religion in general) be a place where folks joke with each other and no one ever gets offended; everyone just laughs until they wet themselves. This whole "don't you play with God" attitude is old and tired. God supposedly created everything (including jokes), so why can't God take a joke? The truth is that "he" probably can; different story for many of "his" followers though.

IMO, too many folks are making God into their own image and likeness when it clearly states in the bible that the Gods (YES, it was stated in plural form but that's another topic) made man in their likeness.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:21 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
For those of us who do not have a positive view of religion, the billboards are simply stating facts. I'm sure I can find bible verses or actions to support the points on the anti-Christian billboard. I know less about Mormons, but Romney's campaign has certainly brought some of the more questionable aspects of his religion to light. 30,000 views of the truth is a conservative estimate. One of the few actual facts of religion is that they are all based on individual interpretation, and faith, in the absence of facts. With that in mind, I think the billboards are simply one group's version of the truth. There are lots of ads in all types of media that I find less than pleasant, but that makes them a topic of conversation, not a violation of anyone's rights.

Being PC isn't necessary. We need less PC, as far as I'm concerned.
Facts? "Useless savior" is a fact? That sounds like an opinion to me and one meant to inflame.

The usefulness of something is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Facts? "Useless savior" is a fact? That sounds like an opinion to me and one meant to inflame.

The usefulness of something is in the eye of the beholder.
That is exactly my point. Just as someone saying we will all have to stand on front of god to be judged was presented as fact, when it actually is nothing more than opinion. To an atheist, there is no god or anything to be saved from, so there is no use for a savior, hence the "useless savior" point.

I see "meant to inflame" as "meant to cause people to think, and consider alternative ideas". What could an atheist billboard have said that wouldn't inflame believers, but would have gotten their point across? From my limited memory, every time atheists post their views, no matter how they are presented, believers have a problem with it.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That is exactly my point. Just as someone saying we will all have to stand on front of god to be judged was presented as fact, when it actually is nothing more than opinion. To an atheist, there is no god or anything to be saved from, so there is no use for a savior, hence the "useless savior" point.

I see "meant to inflame" as "meant to cause people to think, and consider alternative ideas". What could an atheist billboard have said that wouldn't inflame believers, but would have gotten their point across? From my limited memory, every time atheists post their views, no matter how they are presented, believers have a problem with it.
If there was no savior then a savior wouldn't be useless. It would be non-existent. Thus the billboard is rubbing noses in it and that's how it can only be thought of as inflammatory.

Judgement day is a fact as in it can be proven to be true or false. Unfortunately you run in to that Undiscovered Country thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte