Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:58 PM

17 posts, read 20,357 times

Advertisements

Whats up you all NC People!

I am a single Caucasian male still with my family here in South Florida. We just moved here for my mothers' job from Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas. I am heavily in the fitness industry as it is my passion. I love the outdoors as well as good happy hours. What are some cities/suburbs good for single living around Charlotte, NC Area? I really miss being around fresh water lakes and the feeling like I am cross between the North and South! I was originally born and raised in Cleveland, OH for many years which I miss but I want a new chapter in my life.

What are some fun places to attend mostly north of Charlotte near Huntersville, Denver, Cornelius, and/or other places close to downtown Charlotte? As far as crime I do not think it is Cleveland, Ohio that is for sure. I do not have any kids so that also helps me find a cool location. I just really want out of South Florida because of its nonsense here. I do not feel like I am "HOME". From living in DFW, Texas I have met some of the nicest people on this planet. My friends know I am myself full of hospitality. If it is not the Charlotte area I will be moving back to the Dallas-Fort Worth Area. Texas has a way of sticking to you ! I am also mid-twenties in age. Even if I do get to Charlotte - if you want a personal trainer independently you got one right here!

-Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:13 PM

162 posts, read 228,527 times
I believe there is plenty for a single person to do. Since you like living near a lake I think living in the Lake Norman area would be nice. When I first moved to Charlotte and I lived in Cornelius and loved it. Check out Marina Shores apartments.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:39 PM

162 posts, read 217,086 times
Fitness/outdoors stuff... You may like that about Charlotte.

But as far as the social life in Charlotte... I wouldn't recommend it. I've ranted about this before. A lot of people will try to accuse you of being deficient for having difficulty here, but I'm not NEARLY the only one thats had those issues. [Also, I do INCREDIBLY well in other cities.]

Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 AM

Interesting input folks. Plus I have more network opps in the DFW area.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 AM

The more I read about it. It sounds like Charlotte is a get away city or a just a great place to stay esp if you know people there.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 PM

221 posts, read 431,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelticWARRIOR View Post
Interesting input folks. Plus I have more network opps in the DFW area.

I suggest that you move to DFW. That metro is the fastest growing metro in the country and there is a lot of stuff to do in Dallas and Houston.

Last edited by RocNY; 08-31-2012 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 03:19 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelticWARRIOR View Post
Whats up you all NC People!

I am a single Caucasian male still with my family here in South Florida. We just moved here for my mothers' job from Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas. I am heavily in the fitness industry as it is my passion. I love the outdoors as well as good happy hours. What are some cities/suburbs good for single living around Charlotte, NC Area? I really miss being around fresh water lakes and the feeling like I am cross between the North and South! I was originally born and raised in Cleveland, OH for many years which I miss but I want a new chapter in my life.

What are some fun places to attend mostly north of Charlotte near Huntersville, Denver, Cornelius, and/or other places close to downtown Charlotte? As far as crime I do not think it is Cleveland, Ohio that is for sure. I do not have any kids so that also helps me find a cool location. I just really want out of South Florida because of its nonsense here. I do not feel like I am "HOME". From living in DFW, Texas I have met some of the nicest people on this planet. My friends know I am myself full of hospitality. If it is not the Charlotte area I will be moving back to the Dallas-Fort Worth Area. Texas has a way of sticking to you ! I am also mid-twenties in age. Even if I do get to Charlotte - if you want a personal trainer independently you got one right here!

-Sean
Tons of opportunities here. Get a Creative Loafing or look it up on the internet. It gives the names of some things to do, but there is much more than they list. Lots of people here from Cleveland. They seem content (the ones I've met anyway). But you will find anything you want. You will likely miss the beach, but the mountains are close. If you are an outgoing person, you will have a great time.

I don't believe that you were asking for suggestions about staying in Dallas were you? Dallas is much larger, but we are a very fast growing city (fastest growing large city in the U.S.). It is kind of nice watching Charlotte grow every day. I like Dallas and it reminds me of Charlotte in a larger sense.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:52 PM

No I lived in DFW area for awhile and was either going back there or up to another city such as Charlotte, Nashville, Or Seattle. But however. Jobs are important. Visiting the area first is key. I do like DFW. But I miss real season changes like in Seattle. All 4 Seasons available. And it does not snow like it does in Cleveland. I know its actually very temperate cause I have friends I have met that are from there. Thanks for the input fellas again!

Old 08-31-2012, 11:16 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
There's plenty of things to do in Charlotte for a single male. I wouldn't recommend just staying in North Charlotte for activities however. You should explore all of Charlotte.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:20 PM

11 posts, read 31,314 times
Overlooked by every single person above: the National Whitewater Center. You might love getting a job there, but at minimum, you'll love to visit the place. Besides some absolutely terrific whitewater (rafting, kayaking), you can also do some mountain biking, zip lining, and rock climbing.

A mere 2 hours away and you'll have decent (though certainly not Sierra or Rockies) skiing in either WV or Boone, NC.

We've got three major lakes and a few interconnecting waterways nearby (and a few just a little further): Lake Norman, Lake Wylie, and Mt. Island. All are expensive to live on in terms of property values, but deals can be found if you get the right agent (hint).

You might laugh because in other parts of the country they're not known for being high end, but the YMCA's here are top notch. Since you're into fitness, that's another place you might want to consider.

I hope these help. If you need more help, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte