U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 06:04 AM

6,567 posts, read 10,806,526 times

Advertisements

Here is an interesting article that caugh my eye, so I decided to share it here.

Quote from the story:
"All big cities have adequate mass transit," Iorio said. "It's the one deficiency that we have. It shows up when we have big events, and it shows up in our daily lives. If we had it for the convention, my guess is, light rail would have connected major activity centers together. People would have used it." As Monday and Tuesday proved, that holds true in Charlotte, which this summer got federal approval to expand its rail line, making it double in size by 2017. "Charlotte is light years ahead of Tampa," Meachen said. "We're not even close. I think I want to move here."
Light rail helps Charlotte avoid Tampa's bus woes - Tampa Bay Times

Here is another article from Tampa showing the QC a little love.
Atmosphere in Charlotte more free, fun than Tampa - Tampa Bay Times

^^^IMO, that was pretty cool of them to shout out their smaller southern neighbor to the north the way that they did. Very very classy and MUCH appreciated. If only we had the beach and warm Winters like Tampa, things would be almost perfect here...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 06:13 AM

35,883 posts, read 70,610,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Here is an interesting article that caugh my eye, so I decided to share it here.

Quote from the story:
"All big cities have adequate mass transit," Iorio said. "It's the one deficiency that we have. It shows up when we have big events, and it shows up in our daily lives. If we had it for the convention, my guess is, light rail would have connected major activity centers together. People would have used it." As Monday and Tuesday proved, that holds true in Charlotte, which this summer got federal approval to expand its rail line, making it double in size by 2017. "Charlotte is light years ahead of Tampa," Meachen said. "We're not even close. I think I want to move here."
Light rail helps Charlotte avoid Tampa's bus woes - Tampa Bay Times

Here is another article from Tampa showing the QC a little love.
Atmosphere in Charlotte more free, fun than Tampa - Tampa Bay Times

^^^IMO, that was pretty cool of them to shout out their smaller southern neighbor to the north the way that they did. Very very classy and MUCH appreciated. If only we had the beach and warm Winters like Tampa, things would be almost perfect here...
I am very fond of Tampa, so I agree!

Is Tampa bigger than Charlotte, tho?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:23 AM

6,155 posts, read 8,723,351 times
Good stuff.

The city of Charlotte has more people, but Tampa's metro has more.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am very fond of Tampa, so I agree!

Is Tampa bigger than Charlotte, tho?
As a metro, heck YES!!! As a city, not so much. Both have that laid back small town feel to them. However, Charlotte's downtown is better built and has more of a "big city" feel to it. I'm too lazy to look up the exact numbers, but I'm almost sure that Tampa Bay has well over 1 million more residents than metro Charlotte. That fact alone makes these two stories about Charlotte that much more positive. It's high praise when a much larger metropolitan area (one that has hosted 4 superbowls) writes articles like these about the smaller metro. I'll say it again, this is all coming from a metro that has hosted 4 superbowls (hint hint). I think we all know what Charlotte's next "big event" should be.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:33 AM

35,883 posts, read 70,610,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
As a metro, heck YES!!! As a city, not so much. Both have that laid back small town feel to them. However, Charlotte's downtown is better built and has more of a "big city" feel to it. I'm too lazy to look up the exact numbers, but I'm almost sure that Tampa Bay has well over 1 million more residents than metro Charlotte. That fact alone makes these two stories about Charlotte that much more positive. It's high praise when a much larger metropolitan area (one that has hosted 4 superbowls) writes articles like these about the smaller metro. I'll say it again, this is all coming from a metro that has hosted 4 superbowls (hint hint). I think we all know what Charlotte's next "big event" should be.
Yeah, it always has seemed to me that Tampa's metro was more dense - just the highways around it make me feel that way.

The last time I was in Tampa was to leave out of the port on a cruise. Being a port is a huge advantage to a city.

I have always considered moving to Tampa but it would be for retirement.

How many people does a superbowl pull in? I was kind of disheartened about the hotel rooms that reporters ended up in - that concerns me. Everyone keeps saying we have enough hotel rooms but evidently we didn't (not enough nice ones). How many hotel rooms does it take to support a superbowl? I just don't want to see that situation w/ folks stuck in nasty motels w/ jacked up rates.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
How many people does a superbowl pull in? I was kind of disheartened about the hotel rooms that reporters ended up in - that concerns me. Everyone keeps saying we have enough hotel rooms but evidently we didn't (not enough nice ones). How many hotel rooms does it take to support a superbowl? I just don't want to see that situation w/ folks stuck in nasty motels w/ jacked up rates.
That's a good question and a good point. I know that Jacksonville had to bring in cruise ships to help with their lack of hotels. Obviously, such a solution won't work for Charlotte. It seems like a chicken-egg scenario. Do we build the nicer hotels first, or do we wait for more steady tourism? I honestly don't have an answer for that one.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:04 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,282,050 times
I like Tampa, but I don't like the weather. Imaging having what we have seen for the past week for 6+ months out of the year. When I lived in Florida a native told me once the reason that so many people in that state are in a permanent bad mood is because they are alway moist.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I like Tampa, but I don't like the weather. Imaging having what we have seen for the past week for 6+ months out of the year.
That's true. However, I can also imagine getting a jetski for Chirstmas and using it on Christmas day. In all honesty, the heat would get old to me too. I'm just shocked at how positive those articles were about Charlotte. They (Tampa's local media) really didn't have to write anything about Charlotte at all.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 AM

4,552 posts, read 4,118,188 times
Maybe this will translate to high rise hotel towers.

The city is already mulling the idea of building a 1000 room convention hotel. The city also said that with the approval of the Knights Stadium, so projects are in the works.

Did anyone else notice how amazing Rogers was during the DNC?! He is really, really trying to get energy companies to relocate here to the point it seems almost personal. He told a group of energy companies to reach out to contacts and get them to relocate to CLT, talked to the dems, went on CNN, MSNBC and talked about energy hub, etc.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 61,097,973 times
I like Tampa, and thanks for sharing, glad they praise this queen city. Tampa a beautiful city sitting by a bay and only 30 minutes to a beach.
I have 3 good friends that live there, one I went to high school with . I would love to live there with it beautiful weather and get away from this conservative area.

I was paying attention to that forum with it having RNC and I only notice two threads and one was only serious RNC discussion. Charlotte forum, omg It seem like 3 to 5 DNC threads a week.
Which is cool because I think this forum can catch up to Raleigh in post/thread counts.

I notice one thread it mention they installed LED lights beneath bridges and I saw picture with it reflecting off the water at night. Great touch, where we only have one bridge, we should install LED beneath 277.

I would love to hear if there is any other reviews of Charlotte after the DNC, to bad there wasnt many skyline shots, I did notice ABC evening news had the skyline in its intro.

So what next for Charlotte? Super Bowl, Olympics?

Atlanta held the Olympics ten years after it held a political convention so it not to far fetch of idea.
We have white water center, numerous aquatic centers in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte