Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:36 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,502 posts, read 5,574,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

Here's my personal opinion on CAT's future funding for rail.

First, the bad news...

Now the good news...
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to urbancharlotte again"

Thanks urban, for the detailed reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,502 posts, read 5,574,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
The last time I heard anything regarding the Silver Line, it was that they were dropping Light Rail/Bus Rapid Transit from Independence Blvd, and instead creating a HOT lane down center that would be shared with buses that use the same route. I think one agency has stated that Monroe road should use Street Car instead, which I disagree with. I think what they need to do is utilize the CSX railroad right-of-way for Light Rail, all the way down towards Matthews. In the other direction, it would run all the way to the future Gateway Station (which is where the current Greyhound Station is) and then commence to following the railroad line to the airport. Another option is instead of Light Rail, they use Heavy Rail instead, but also extending it to downtown Monroe and downtown Gastonia. However, I doubt that will happen anytime soon, especially how the folks in Iredell County are very resistant to mass transit.
I had heard/read the same things. I think a bus line (in lieu of a proper rail line) would be a HUGE mistake.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:50 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,934,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I have not problem with efficiency, but how do you know what works and doesn't work.
Good Lord. When was the last time you rode on CATS transit? If you have done so please describe the details. I'd like to hear it.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:17 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,424,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
The last time I heard anything regarding the Silver Line, it was that they were dropping Light Rail/Bus Rapid Transit from Independence Blvd, and instead creating a HOT lane down center that would be shared with buses that use the same route. I think one agency has stated that Monroe road should use Street Car instead, which I disagree with. I think what they need to do is utilize the CSX railroad right-of-way for Light Rail, all the way down towards Matthews. In the other direction, it would run all the way to the future Gateway Station (which is where the current Greyhound Station is) and then commence to following the railroad line to the airport. Another option is instead of Light Rail, they use Heavy Rail instead, but also extending it to downtown Monroe and downtown Gastonia. However, I doubt that will happen anytime soon, especially how the folks in Iredell County are very resistant to mass transit.
Gastonia got on this several years ago. Setting up light rail from Gastonia to Charlotte could cost $300 million | rail, gastonia, charlotte - Local News - Gaston Gazette

Old 09-20-2012, 12:25 PM

This project is never ever, never ever, never ever going to happen. Gastonia, like all the surrounding counties around Mecklenburg has absolutely no interest in funding a train to Charlotte. The MTC, rightfully so, has made it absolutely clear to these governments that the Mecklenburg taxpayer won't bear the burden of paying for trains to these exhurbs.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This project is never ever, never ever, never ever going to happen. Gastonia, like all the surrounding counties around Mecklenburg has absolutely no interest in funding a train to Charlotte. The MTC, rightfully so, has made it absolutely clear to these governments that the Mecklenburg taxpayer won't bear the burden of paying for trains to these exhurbs.
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...orman-rpo.html

Old 09-20-2012, 01:08 PM

I don't read web links posted without some sort of explaination as to why it applies here.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I don't read web links posted without some sort of explaination as to why it applies here.
It concens the Gastonia train.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It concens the Gastonia train.
In what regard?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:48 PM

3,859 posts, read 4,234,705 times
Quote:
Good Lord. When was the last time you rode on CATS transit? If you have done so please describe the details. I'd like to hear it.
Lynx this weekend (many weekends, DNC week, Panthers games, etc), it was great...again good gosh, when was the last time you did anything regarding CATS. Basically, your contribution to any mass transit system or public project discussion is gov=waste, taxpayer burden, etc....tired, old and outdated...yawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte