Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:58 AM

17 posts, read 18,238 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 years old & living at home because I haven't been able to find work in Charlotte.

My mother is a single mom trying to feed me and my adolescent sister (she is in elementary school);
She is in a ton of debt from various credit card agency's and all of her income goes towards paying our utility bills and upkeep of the house and feeding my little sister.

The problem: I don't think the state will allow me to receive food stamps or any other benefits because of my mothers income bracket. They will claim that because shes making a specific income that we don't qualify. But meanwhile I'm sitting here starving and eating around 200-500 calories a day. My BMI has become very dangerously low.

My mother and I sit around talking about how I could qualify for the benefits of NC. She even suggested that I move in with my uncle and aunt (Who are also on government assistance). That way I would be able to qualify for the benefits being unemployed and living with people who have no income.

She cant afford to feed a growing man and I don't blame her. If I was living in my own apartment or home then I could just tell them that I have no income and I'm starving and they wouldn't have much choice but to help me.

Catch 22. I don't have a car OR job. I cant buy a car, gas or insurance without money.
I don't have a job and the places I've interviewed at wont hire me without experience. So at this point in my life where it feels like a dead end

I'm trying to figure out how I can realistically get the help I need from the state or county so I'm not sitting here starving and wondering where my next meal is coming from.

The bus system doesn't run near my house or I would already be taking the bus to find employment but nobody wants to hire a kid whos 23 with no experience and no education & I can't afford to go to college with the crap that I'm dealing with right now.

Let me know what my options are and how I can try to get some help from the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 03:17 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Contact the welfre agencies in your state and ask them where you need to go to apply for help with food and rent. It is doubtful anyone from any of those agencies read this public forum.
I find it interesting though that you can post this on the internet at 4:00am but you have no food, job, car or experience and the internet is not free and neither are computers.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Contact the welfre agencies in your state and ask them where you need to go to apply for help with food and rent. It is doubtful anyone from any of those agencies read this public forum.
I find it interesting though that you can post this on the internet at 4:00am but you have no food, job, car or experience and the internet is not free and neither are computers.
The internet is free. It's free at any shop and place near me including Lowes building store.

As for computers. I am not using one.
I'm using an old smart phone that was given to me as a birthday present from my Dad (He lives in another state)

Thankfully my mother allows me to use her power to charge it up.
The battery lasts about 4 hours while browsing the internet.

Lastly I'm up at this hour because I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and It's often hard to go to sleep when I'm worried.

Edit: I didn't think anyone from the government would be on here. I was hoping that someone else had experience getting benefits from the government on this forum.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:12 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingWithRats View Post
....I was hoping that someone else had experience getting benefits from the government on this forum......Let me know what my options are.....so I'm not sitting here starving and wondering where my next meal is coming from
My observations of other forumers here is they all work and pay taxes. This describes me as I've had jobs since I was 15. They were sometimes things I didn't want to do, but I did what I needed to do to get by. IMO, you shouldn't be looking for the taxpayers to pay your bills.

If you really think the taxpayer is your answer then you are still young enough to join the military. If you don't have a way to a recruiter, then call them, they will make arrangements. They will take care of all your needs and all they ask is that you return the favor by serving the country that is taking care of you.

Last edited by frewroad; 09-01-2012 at 04:28 AM..

Old 09-01-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
You are still young enough to join the military. They will take care of all your needs.
They wont let me join I haven't completed highschool due to my anxiety from bullying I was forced to drop out.

I attended West Meck High here in Charlotte and I was constantly being beaten up and attacked since I was the minority (A white person)
This is located near freedom drive. A very bad part of town. I have personally witnessed people shot in this area.

I remember when the shooting at the Mcdonalds on freedom happened. I was there that day. and I was near the footlocker when they were robbed

Story below.
http://www.wbtv.com/story/13732113/m...type=printable

The gang culture in the school was something I couldn't handle. I don't have a gang mentality and I'm a very sensitive person.

Since my family lives day to day, my mom couldn't afford to send me to another school (possibly a private one)

The truth is that we've been living in poverty for along time. My mom has been single since I was born and it hasn't been easy for me.
I never had a Dad around to teach me good values and how to be strong and my Mom never could financially put us in a nice neighborhood or school system.

The reason we moved to Charlotte in the first place was because my mom couldn't afford to pay a house payment or rent so we lived with my Aunt and Uncle for awhile.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
They wont let me join I haven't completed highschool due to my anxiety from bullying I was forced to drop out.

I attended West Meck High here in Charlotte and I was constantly being beaten up and attacked since I was the minority (A white person)
This is located near freedom drive. A very bad part of town. I have personally witnessed people shot in this area.

I remember when the shooting at the Mcdonalds on freedom happened. I was there that day. and I was near the footlocker when they were robbed

Story below.
Masked men rob shoe store - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

The gang culture in the school was something I couldn't handle. I don't have a gang mentality and I'm a very sensitive person.

Since my family lives day to day, my mom couldn't afford to send me to another school (possibly a private one)

The truth is that we've been living in poverty for along time. My mom has been single since I was born and it hasn't been easy for me.
I never had a Dad around to teach me good values and how to be strong and my Mom never could financially put us in a nice neighborhood or school system.

The reason we moved to Charlotte in the first place was because my mom couldn't afford to pay a house payment or rent so we lived with my Aunt and Uncle for awhile.

Another edit: Someone was killed last year right near our house. Maybe 200 yards away.
Another shooting and it was inside his own home.

So yes we're living in a bad part of town.
I honestly don't even feel safe living here.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
So you are 23 and don't have your GED? Go get one. Doing something for yourself will go a long ways to helping you feel better about yourself. Instead of looking for taxpayer relief, go and see if you can get into the Army or National Guard GED plus program. That program will feed and cloth you while you work the program then you are inducted into the force. Sounds as if it's what you are looking for.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
So you are 23 and don't have your GED? Go get one. Doing something for yourself will go a long ways to helping you feel better about yourself. Instead of looking for taxpayer relief, go and see if you can get into the Army or National Guard GED plus program. That program will feed and cloth you while you work the program then you are inducted into the force. Sounds as if it's what you are looking for.
I don't even know If I could pass the GED test. I have real problems with math and I've always had them. I can't even do simple addition and subtraction without relying on a calculator. Not because I didn't memorize them but because I cannot do those logical thinking skills associated with math. It might be dyslexia or something. I never perused to get treatment for it.

Lastly I don't have any means of transportation. My mom works all day long and gets off work at around 7pm, by then all the places for GED would be closed.

The city bus doesn't run to us. and I don't have money to buy a vehicle or maintain one. or take a taxi.

It's a catch22 situation.
If you don't have ANY money. you cant make any money.

Also it's hard to make initiatives to do anything when you have no food to eat. (My main concern right now)

Old 09-01-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
I don't even know If I could pass the GED test.
Have you tried? If you are smart enough to come up with an elaborate plan to get the taxpayers to pay for the upkeep of a working age young adult, it seems to me that you would have the wherewithal to sum up two numbers. You obviously can read and write very well, you have the Internet, I'm sure that anyone looking for something more than a taxpayer handout could find some means to take some responsibility for their situation.

Failing that, then IMO, as I said earlier, I don't think you are going to find the answers you are looking for here.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Have you tried? If you are smart enough to come up with an elaborate plan to get the taxpayers to pay for the upkeep of a working age young adult, it seems to me that you would have the wherewithal to sum up two numbers. You obviously can read and write very well, you have the Internet, I'm sure that anyone looking for something more than a taxpayer handout could find some means to take some responsibility for their situation.

Failing that, then IMO, as I said earlier, I don't think you are going to find the answers you are looking for here.
Maybe if our economy was actually producing stuff instead of just consuming things. I could have a job right now.

Trust me. If someone said tomorrow. "I'll pay you to do this job, and give you a car to show up every day"

I wouldn't turn a deal like that down. But these things aren't so easy. Especially when the old timers (probably like yourself). Can't retire and are working into their 70s, going blue hair.

The job market doesn't want to hire young kids. Why do you think Obama raised the family health insurance limitation to 26. Because he knows that people such as myself are screwed right now.

Judging by your posts you seem against the very idea of welfare. You're failing to realize that the whole system was designed to help people like myself.

People who grew up in a single family home with a single mom raising 3 kids.
People who weren't allowed a quality education.
People who weren't given money to attend a college or fund a vehicle.

Maybe you grew up with somewhat of a silver spoon in your mouth. but I've never had anything in my life.

At this moment I have maybe 3 sets of clothes. A cell phone that was a gift from my degenerate father & MAYBE 40$ worth of personal belongings.

I'd like to see yourself put in my situation with no resources and just "taking responsibility"

Would you be walking 10 miles to attended a job interview just so they wouldn't ever follow up and ignore your calls?

I've done it and I've spent lots of resources in the job market trying to find any work. Even at the lowliest places such as fast food chains and service stations. No luck.

My point is that it's easy to give out life advice when you aren't in the same position as the person your giving it to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte