Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,325 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother of three looking to relocate to Charlotte,but my nervousness causes me to have some doubts. I am wanting to know what this city has to offer outside of the poverty of single parents that so many other cities offer. I am coming from Indianapolis. I have been there in Charlotte in August and loved the visit but a visit is much further off from living there. Help!!! Im very confused as well as apprehensive in the uprooting of my children without good sound advise and options. I will not have a strong support system while in the city so is it single parent friendly?Is there job growth? Whats the economy like, crime, activities, schools & colleges?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 03:06 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,896 times
It all depends on the job you have. With a low-paying job, it is difficult in any city as you may be forced to live in an area with bad schools and/or higher crime. Charlotte has a higher unemployment rate than other cities at the moment, so if you don't have a job, you may be better off looking elsewhere.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnnie911 View Post
I am a single mother of three looking to relocate to Charlotte,but my nervousness causes me to have some doubts. I am wanting to know what this city has to offer outside of the poverty of single parents that so many other cities offer. I am coming from Indianapolis. I have been there in Charlotte in August and loved the visit but a visit is much further off from living there. Help!!! Im very confused as well as apprehensive in the uprooting of my children without good sound advise and options. I will not have a strong support system while in the city so is it single parent friendly such as program,events,& assistance? Is there job growth, if so in what area? Whats the economy like, crime, activities, schools & colleges?????
Hi Shawnnie!

You have to define your needs better b/f I can give any meaningful answers.

When you talk about single parents and programs and assistance, what do you actually mean? Vouchers for daycare? WIC programs? Job training programs? Medicaid? Parenting classes?

We have a fine community college here, CPCC and a University - UNC-Charlotte. There are other private colleges in the area, too.

Not sure what you are really looking for as far as information as what you ask is very broad.

Do you have a job presently? What are you skills/education?

Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 AM

181 posts, read 353,843 times
If you are looking to move here and immediately get on all the gov handouts, then please stay where you are. This state is broke with that situation and unemployment is about 10%.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
I am a single mother of three looking to relocate to Charlotte,but my nervousness causes me to have some doubts. I am wanting to know what this city has to offer outside of the poverty of single parents that so many other cities offer. I am coming from Indianapolis. I have been there in Charlotte in August and loved the visit but a visit is much further off from living there. Help!!! Im very confused as well as apprehensive in the uprooting of my children without good sound advise and options. I will not have a strong support system while in the city so is it single parent friendly?Is there job growth? Whats the economy like, crime, activities, schools & colleges?????
So much depends on what kind of job you would be looking for and how much you can afford to spend on housing

Old 09-20-2012, 01:15 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,355,764 times
Quote:
Many of your questions has more to do with you than it does with the city you're looking for. Do you have a decent savings? Is your career capable of feeding you and your kids? Is there a high demand for what it is that you do for a living?

From the looks of your OP, there really isn't enough info for anyone to point you in the right direction. All we know is that you don't want to live in poverty (who does) and that you want a "single parent friendly" city. If you're not capable of earning at least $50-$60k annually as a single parent with 3 kids, no city in this country will be "single parent friendly" enough for you. The costs associated with supporting yourself and 3 other human beings ain't cheap (I'm sure you already know this).There are many ways to cut corners, but Charlotte Mecklenburg schools are filled with kids who are obvious products of some serious "corner-cutting". Please don't take offense to anything that I've stated because I was raised by a single mother who earned well under $20k per year. If moms had 2 more like me on that kind of an income, I'd probably be out there running the streets and actin' a fool. We moved down from NYC when I was young BTW.

Anyways, just know that YOUR personal situation and income earning potential is the difference maker. In other words, don't expect Charlotte to boost you up to something that you currently are not in Indy. On the flip side, don't expect Charlotte to downgrade you from your current status in Indy. Perhaps none of this answered your questions, but I got the impression from your rather ambiguous OP that these things needed to be said. I apologize if I am guilty of assuming too much. Welcome to Charlotte.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:32 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,186,824 times
If you won't have a strong support system in the area, why choose Charlotte?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:49 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,902,478 times
What specifically are you asking? Are you interested in looking for a job or living on government assistance? What skills will you bring with you? As a previous posting pointed out, it appears that you are looking at what the city can do for you and not what you can bring to the city. More clarification would be helpful.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:02 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,023,354 times
I assume you are not planning to come to Charlotte with a job offer in hand since you're asking how the job market is here.

If that is the case .. why uproot the kiddies to come here?

The job market is not stagnant, but it is not blossoming either. Your cost of living will most likely increase compared to Indy, and the wages may not reflect the increased COL.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:54 AM

642 posts, read 1,171,249 times
It has been said many, many times before and each time it was said, it was true. It still is.

GET A JOB BEFORE YOU COME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte