Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:33 PM

177 posts, read 447,753 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying in either Bridgehampton or Bridgemill soon. We love the low taxes in SC, but I work in Uptown and wonder if it would be too long of a drive. We currently live in the Ballantyne area and I commute daily. Does anyone live in IL and drive to Uptown? Any advice on a route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 08:23 PM

159 posts, read 335,042 times
I'd take Fort Mill Hwy to Springfield Parkway to avoid I-485 and Johnston Rd, I take this way to avoid all the back ups on I-485. Then next year I-485 will be a mess b/c of the widening project.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:58 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
You may save money by dodging the charlotte taxes BUT you will spend plenty (unless you ride a moped) on gas not to mention the hours you spend in jammed up traffic......Save taxes,,go for it You get what you pay for and in fort mill you may end up living near some industrial plant or shooting range in several years...who knows?

Old 09-22-2012, 10:07 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
I would not want to drive this whole commute. Catch the 82x express bus from Baxter Village or the Carowinds Park'n'Ride.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:15 AM

218 posts, read 522,906 times
Ha, it makes me laugh that people think IL or Fort Mill is soooo far away. You really are not that much farther south than living in either Steele Creek or Ballantyne. The amount of "extra gas" is negligible but the tax benefits are HUGE (especially in IL). Plus you don't have to mess with CMS.

We love it in SC and have had no regrets. I agree with an earlier post about taking 160 to Springfield Pkwy for your commute. As far as living next to some undesirable factory or something, you have no worries with Bridgehampton or Bridgemill. The only thing to watch for in Bridgemill will be what they decide to do with their front parcel. They are supposed to build townhouses there but I don't think they ever will.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:58 AM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
From the SC-side of Bridgehampton it takes me 35-40 minutes going out "the back way" (i.e. Harrisburg Road) to get to Trade & Tryon in Uptown. I do not consider our location to be any farther out than Ballantyne, given that going out the back of the neighborhood saves me a lot of time over actually going through Ballantyne. In fact, the front of the neighborhood is in the 28277 Ballantyne zip code and is still considered Ballantyne.

To be honest, the toughest part about living on the "Indian Land" side of Bridgehampton is convincing contractors who service Ballantyne/Charlotte, but claim not to service Fort Mill/Indian Land that I am only about 90 seconds farther down the road than my "Ballantyne" neighbors in the front of the neighborhood.

As for amount of gas used being appreciably higher, that's laughable. Not to mention that I'm already so close to SC gas that's 15-20 cents cheaper than Charlotte prices that it more than makes up for the additional 2 miles I *might* add on to my commute from "all the way out here in Indian Land".

Last edited by diertac; 09-24-2012 at 07:07 AM..

Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 AM

diertac & mesocyclone- thanks for the info. I was looking for someone who lives in SC BH to tell me that they work uptown and that I'm not crazy to consider it. We currently live in Ballantyne and it's about the same amount of time to get uptown from there anyway. Any chance you have kids at Indian Land schools? That's my one BIG hold back to moving to IL. Just not sure about ILES for my kids.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 AM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
Aquafish, my husband commutes every day. I commute a few times a week. Most of our neighbors commute daily too. It is not bad at all.

The schools are decent, and are getting better, I hear. Since I don't have children in the school system, I will leave others to comment. I do know a few SC parents who have their children enrolled in private schools, as well as several well-adjusted kids in the neighborhood who attend IL elem/mid/high schools. Good luck with your decision. PM me if you have any other questions!

Edited to add: I'd also challenge you to get up early one morning and wind your route down through Ballantyne into BH so that you're leaving BH at the same time as you might normally. I can PM you the "back road" route I take, so you could try driving it yourself in rush hour and get your thoughts about it. I did this back when I lived in DC and was considering a move to a house a little farther out than I was comfortable with. It helped me really gauge what the impact would feel like.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:26 PM

140 posts, read 239,012 times
Hooray for dodging NC taxes while using NC infrastructure every day?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:41 AM

theory: My husband and I both earn a living in NC and will pay a nice chunk to the NC government in income tax. That goes to support the NC infrastructure. So I'm actually not dodging taxes in NC. Also, 100% of my working hours would be spent in NC, therefore I will be contributing to the local Charlotte economy by buying my lunch in uptown every day, being a member of the Charlotte YMCA, paying for parking in Uptown, having my car serviced in uptown, doing my shopping in South Park....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte