U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,200,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
I'm using ATT and pay $50 /month for unlimited and $60 per 1 gig of data. I'd recommend it only because you can change your phone without the wait.
Looks like you can get the same for $65: Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, GoPhone Plans, & Prepaid Smartphone plans from AT&T

This confuses me because they are listing a $50 plan with unlimited data. This has to be a typo. Oh I see, smartphones can't use that plan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 PM

226 posts, read 660,039 times
My mother-in-law is coming here from the UK for the holidays and I am looking for the cheapest available prepaid cell for her to use while she's here. I don't care about long term, I just want to be able to activate it for a week here, two weeks there. I looked at Tracfones, but they seem so wasteful with their expiring minutes. I know AT&T's coverage isn't the best in Uptown, so I am hesitant to use that network. Any suggestions?

Old 12-04-2012, 05:26 PM

292 posts, read 713,521 times
Smile Virgin Mobile prepaid

My h/b uses Virgin Mobile prepaid. works great all around Charlotte and everyone else. Works better then my t-mobile service. During the holidays we travel through West Virginia mountains Virgin Mobile worked great. while T-mobile did not.

He has had the prepaid phone for 8 years . no problems we had traveled alot.

Good Luck !

Dennise

Old 12-09-2012, 11:25 PM

445 posts, read 1,091,586 times
I've had Virgin Mobile for my daughter for 6 years or so. They have good service, 300 talk minutes, unimited messaging and data for 25 month ( we are grandfathered into that plan - it's now 35 but still a good deal) No problems to speak of.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:55 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandot View Post
Make sure to take a look at Solavei. They use t mobile's network and it has everything unlimited ( talk, text, 4g data). Their 4g is as fast as verizons lte. I did a test with the galaxy S3 on both networks and there was no difderence. Is $49 per month, but you can bring it down to $30 per month if you refer 3 people. its by invitation only. Here is mine:
ARMANDO TALAVERA, Social Member | Independent Solavei Member

You can sign my guest book there if you have any questions. I'll b glad to help anyone!

Invitation Link: ARMANDO TALAVERA, Social Member | Independent Solavei Member
It's not by invitation only and you're coming real close to being an advertisement since you see a cash equivalent benefit if people follow the link you posted.

I assume this thread will continue to get hit by marketers who are using search engines to find it.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 AM

469 posts, read 815,328 times
republic wireless - The Mobile Network that Runs on Freedom

I don't use them because I am still under contract with my company, but have been following them since they first opened in beta over a year ago. They have just opened up to the public. Unlimited everything - $19 a month - the rely more on wifi for their phones, but do have cellular service for when you're unable to connect to wifi. There are some annoyances with testing and calls dropping when going from wifi to cellular and vice versa and right now there is only 1 phone you can use and many people aren't happy with that phone. Many people who signed up are happy as clams. Some have despised it. But it's worth checking out and making your own decision. I still haven't decided yet.

As you research - go to that link and look at the community pages. They also have a facebook page - go there. You can also go and read reviews, but from what I've seen, the only people who have reviewed are people who were extremely unhappy with them. If you look at facebook and the community, you'll find that's not the case for the most part.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM

162 posts, read 195,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetaldj View Post
I have PagePlus and ready to change it to something else. I have terrible coverage around all those spots I spend most of my time here in Charlotte (The Tradition Apartment and University Research Park). It's actually no coverage at all, 1 bar max. Same for my wife. I don't know why but here any provider has very bad coverage except ATT, they have at least 2-3 bars... Looks like StraightTalk is the way to go for me.

To OP - you need to ask people around those areas where you will be the most to see what to use.
I haven't had any issues with Page Plus in Charlotte. Maybe its just your phone. I've even had service in Canada. The only place I've had a connection issue is in LA, CA in the playa del ray neighborhood.

The biggest issue with PagePlus is that you have to activate the phones yourself, if you bring it over. Thats a bit of a pain, and I've always had to manually enter the details.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:06 PM

162 posts, read 195,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwoodward View Post
My mother-in-law is coming here from the UK for the holidays and I am looking for the cheapest available prepaid cell for her to use while she's here. I don't care about long term, I just want to be able to activate it for a week here, two weeks there. I looked at Tracfones, but they seem so wasteful with their expiring minutes. I know AT&T's coverage isn't the best in Uptown, so I am hesitant to use that network. Any suggestions?
If she has a quadband/triband, and its unlocked, phone just get her a SIM from Tmobile, simply mobile, or AT&T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte