Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 03:41 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,964,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Depends on the phone you have or buy from them...there are codes on each of the phones they sell...if you bring your own it has to be ATT or Tmobile, you purchase a sim card from them specifying the network. The android phone I wanted was a tmobile phone, but I'm not crazy about the coverage around here, I do use it on tmobile now, but I plan to unlock my phone then I can switch over to ATT simply by buying an ATT sim card from them ($15).

Is Verizon available on Straight Talk and can you use your present telephone number?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Is Verizon available on Straight Talk and can you use your present telephone number?

Thanks!
No Straight Talk uses the GSM network (Verizon is CDMA). But you can transfer (port) your number over. If you purchase a straight talk phone, contact customer service before you activate it to find out how to have your current number ported over.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
Correction. My phone is NOT unlocked. It is still locked to ATT, but I can use it on Straight Talk.

I can't go back and edit my previous post.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Not true. Straight Talk has a Bring Your Own Phone plan. I have an ATT unlocked phone that I am using with Straight Talk (an iphone 4).

You do NOT need to unlock an ATT phone to use with ST and you can bring your own phone.

Dawn

Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
Just so you know.....ATT has announced a new pay as you go plan that will launch Oct. 7th. It will be $65 for unlimited talk and text and 1GB of data.

AT&T Starting New Prepaid Plan in No-Contract Rivalry - Bloomberg

Dawn

Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 AM

999 posts, read 4,652,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post

Thanks!
Certain phones from Straight Talk use the verizon network. You cannot bring your own verizon phone to Straight Talk however. If you want to bring your own phone you must bring a GSM phone. My husband's Straight talk phone runs on Verizon network. here's an example of one of their phones that runs on verizon http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-T...em+Description When you are in the store you can see on the packaging of the phone, there's a code on a bottom corner of the box (the helpful employee there showed me) that tells you what network that phone will run on. On the front of each in the lower left hand corner there will be some letters. CDMA-S means that phone works off Sprint. GSM is AT&T. CDMA is Verizon. Samsung Galaxy Precedent is CDMA-S (Sprint) ZTE Merit is GSM-A (AT&T)
And yes, you can port your number, took less than an hour for all three of our phone numbers to port (on different days, at different times).

Last edited by joanchris2000; 10-04-2012 at 07:42 AM..

Old 10-08-2012, 03:44 PM

345 posts, read 871,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Certain phones from Straight Talk use the verizon network. You cannot bring your own verizon phone to Straight Talk however. If you want to bring your own phone you must bring a GSM phone. My husband's Straight talk phone runs on Verizon network. here's an example of one of their phones that runs on verizon Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Phone, Proclaim Prepaid - Walmart.com When you are in the store you can see on the packaging of the phone, there's a code on a bottom corner of the box (the helpful employee there showed me) that tells you what network that phone will run on. On the front of each in the lower left hand corner there will be some letters. CDMA-S means that phone works off Sprint. GSM is AT&T. CDMA is Verizon. Samsung Galaxy Precedent is CDMA-S (Sprint) ZTE Merit is GSM-A (AT&T)
And yes, you can port your number, took less than an hour for all three of our phone numbers to port (on different days, at different times).
Thanks for sharing. I'll check out, I have ordered one phone from StraightTalk, let me check out Walmart for another line.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,112 times
We've been looking into this, but service is very important to us as we have lots of trees and no home phone. Really we would want to stay with the Verizon network.
The other day I realised we were paying more for our phones (which DH and I hardly use) than for the car insurance.
My husband and I are easy. We don't need data or text plans. We would probably use around 300 minutes per month each. I don't care about the phone we have as long as it makes calls.

Son has a thunderbolt, unlimited texting and data. He almost never makes phone calls.

Currently with verizon we have 700 shared minutes and we use around 150.
Son does download a lot of data, but he could connect to a wireless network and use less- maybe down to 4GB.

We pay $135 per month and that's with a CHS discount.
I believe the cheapest plan on VERIZON with 4gb data was around $80 per month and I'm not prepared to pay this just for him so we either all stay on the plan or we all go prepaid.

Any ideas?

Is there some way he could take his Thunderbolt to a prepaid provider that uses Verizon?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Just so you know.....ATT has announced a new pay as you go plan that will launch Oct. 7th. It will be $65 for unlimited talk and text and 1GB of data.

AT&T Starting New Prepaid Plan in No-Contract Rivalry - Bloomberg

Dawn
Verizon has several $50 per month pre-pay plans. One is unlimited talk, text, & 1 GB of data.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:52 PM

46 posts, read 161,886 times
I have PagePlus and ready to change it to something else. I have terrible coverage around all those spots I spend most of my time here in Charlotte (The Tradition Apartment and University Research Park). It's actually no coverage at all, 1 bar max. Same for my wife. I don't know why but here any provider has very bad coverage except ATT, they have at least 2-3 bars... Looks like StraightTalk is the way to go for me.

To OP - you need to ask people around those areas where you will be the most to see what to use.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,518,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkn006 View Post
Any prepaid phone service recommendations for two smartphones with total of less than 1GB data usage?
I'm using ATT and pay $50 /month for unlimited and $60 per 1 gig of data. I'd recommend it only because you can change your phone without the wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte