Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 AM

42 posts, read 55,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
If you're not happy here, I don't understand why you're still here.
That's my thought on the situation. I understand in this economy it's hard to just pick up and leave, but for the people that have been here their whole life (who have absolutely NOTHING to compare Charlotte to) and are complaining...should probably have looked into moving by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 12:08 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Like:
-An economic powerhouse, however it is difficult placing all 40,000 newcomers into employment positions. I guess that is a price for our greatness.
-Growing every day, new restaurants, jobs, performing arts, shopping, etc.
-Great parks and beautiful houses.
-Good paying jobs and very reasonable housing prices.
-International
-Good roads
-People that are from other states that are overwhelmingly happy to be here
-International airport
-professional sports (temporarily not doing to well)
-Beautiful women
-Down to earth, hospitable locals
-Comparitively educated population
-Gorgious oak tree lined neighborhoods
-Beach 3 hours away and mountains 1 1/2 hours
-Excellent weather although there are two very hot months
-until recently, excellent city managers and mayors
-Less than 8 hour drive to Atlanta, Charleston, Savannah, Asheville, D.C., Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, and many other places
-Very small percentage of newcomers are annoying, whining, bitter, morons. Most are great.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post

. It just kills me that people say that Charlotte is great for singles/nightlife., when its not...Compared to the LA area.....Im sorry its just not...If you're planning on moving here, I strongly suggest that you visit.

Great point, "it just isn't like LA here"

I believe that if a person is presentable looking and has pleasant to be around, it is great or very good anyway. None of my single friends have issues with dating or nightlife. But, they actually go out and do things. It is relative based on personal experiences.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
your absolutely right.
I think there are people who love Charlotte, maybe they're just not wasting time on this forum,
I just wish I could hear from more people who are proud of there city and hear more positive things about the area.
you know I have been to Charlotte many times and I have a pretty good list that I have made for myself.

thanks Native Son
Good points Chicagobears. Many are out dating, socializing, and taking advantage of what is offered.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
I feel like most people who are not complaining about Charlotte are mainly caucasian. I think if Charlotte doesnt provide enough diversity or cultural activities that I and (people who agree with me) should say it straightly. I am posting out my real feelings and attitude toward Charlotte. They are not that optimistic however they provide useful information for others considering moving to the town. Im sorry but my idea of a happening city with great entertainment venues is not gonna be in line with 50+ year old white man idea of entertainment.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:49 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I feel like most people who are not complaining about Charlotte are mainly caucasian. ...
LOL

According to the US Census Charlotte is 49.5% White. This means that 1 out of every 2 people living in the city is not Caucasian. This is the same percentage as Los Angeles, San Francisco, and much more diverse than San Diego which is 60% Caucasian. Furthermore, there are far far more people living here under 25 than any other demographic.

If you can't find "diversity" in that, then I'm not sure where you are going to go to do better. But whatever. Pack you bags and move even if it means losing money on your place if you hate it so much. I don't see why you are still here.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
LOL

According to the US Census Charlotte is 49.5% White. This means that 1 out of every 2 people living in the city is not Caucasian. This is the same percentage as Los Angeles, San Francisco, and much more diverse than San Diego which is 60% Caucasian. Furthermore, there are far far more people living here under 25 than any other demographic.

If you can't find "diversity" in that, then I'm not sure where you are going to go to do better. But whatever. Pack you bags and move even if it means losing money on your place if you hate it so much. I don't see why you are still here.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Quote:
LOL

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 PM

119 posts, read 183,320 times
Quote:
LOL

Eh.. Cut her some slack. Your demographics only show diversity with regards to race, big deal. Does that mean NC is full of diverse "culture," like the cities you mentioned above are famous for? With diversity also comes diverse places/venues to visit such as authentic cousin, clubs, art, dance, cultural festivals, theater/entertainment and yep, you guessed it - gay culture! Couple all of these together as an accepted part of the community and you got yourself some cultural diversity.

Last edited by Koozie; 11-05-2012 at 11:47 PM..

Old 11-06-2012, 02:47 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koozie View Post
Eh.. Cut her some slack.
Why? My response was totally correct given the accusation of the place being only acceptable to 50+ Caucasians, and that this is what diversity meant.

IMO, "diversity" is a meaningless term because it's meaning changes with every person. However in this case, race, was clearly specified and I only pointed out the statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte