U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 04:56 AM

221 posts, read 339,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissitaliangirl View Post
That's my thought on the situation. I understand in this economy it's hard to just pick up and leave, but for the people that have been here their whole life (who have absolutely NOTHING to compare Charlotte to) and are complaining...should probably have looked into moving by now.

Thank you from the OP you are like a breath of fresh air . I read all your post about Charlotte and I
really cant wait to move now , thank you littlemissitaliangirl
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 05:00 AM

Default thank you from the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Like:
-An economic powerhouse, however it is difficult placing all 40,000 newcomers into employment positions. I guess that is a price for our greatness.
-Growing every day, new restaurants, jobs, performing arts, shopping, etc.
-Great parks and beautiful houses.
-Good paying jobs and very reasonable housing prices.
-International
-Good roads
-People that are from other states that are overwhelmingly happy to be here
-International airport
-professional sports (temporarily not doing to well)
-Beautiful women
-Down to earth, hospitable locals
-Comparitively educated population
-Gorgious oak tree lined neighborhoods
-Beach 3 hours away and mountains 1 1/2 hours
-Excellent weather although there are two very hot months
-until recently, excellent city managers and mayors
-Less than 8 hour drive to Atlanta, Charleston, Savannah, Asheville, D.C., Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, and many other places
-Very small percentage of newcomers are annoying, whining, bitter, morons. Most are great.
thanks from the OP
GREAT LIST now that's what I'm talking about

Old 11-06-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
LOL

According to the US Census Charlotte is 49.5% White. This means that 1 out of every 2 people living in the city is not Caucasian. This is the same percentage as Los Angeles, San Francisco, and much more diverse than San Diego which is 60% Caucasian. Furthermore, there are far far more people living here under 25 than any other demographic.

If you can't find "diversity" in that, then I'm not sure where you are going to go to do better. But whatever. Pack you bags and move even if it means losing money on your place if you hate it so much. I don't see why you are still here.

I know that you and I may have started off on the wrong foot on that other topic
but nothing pleases me more than your love for Charlotte , maybe we can meet up
someday on the boat at Lake Norman . By the way I do believe in freedom of speech
and I'm glad your posting on my topic , your opinion means a lot to me , thanks frewroad

Old 11-06-2012, 09:23 AM

119 posts, read 176,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Why? My response was totally correct given the accusation of the place being only acceptable to 50+ Caucasians, and that this is what diversity meant.
Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, fine

Old 11-07-2012, 06:16 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,347,794 times
Remember, all these things are in comparison to CHICAGO...where the OP is from.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:04 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,829,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
that's silly then. There's not but three or four cities in the entire US that can compare with a metro like Chicago. If the OP (or anyone else for that matter) wants Chicago, they should try.... Chicago.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:23 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,480,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I feel like most people who are not complaining about Charlotte are mainly caucasian. I think if Charlotte doesnt provide enough diversity or cultural activities that I and (people who agree with me) should say it straightly. I am posting out my real feelings and attitude toward Charlotte. They are not that optimistic however they provide useful information for others considering moving to the town. Im sorry but my idea of a happening city with great entertainment venues is not gonna be in line with 50+ year old white man idea of entertainment.
Charlotte has one of the fastest growing populations of African-Ameiricans and Hispanics. They're coming here and staying because they like it here.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-10-2012 at 05:21 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 03:49 PM

38 posts, read 55,609 times
Smile my favorite things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
LOL, I spent much of the summer in the Chicago 'burbs. Parking in the city was $50 if you wanted to go and not be tied to a train schedule! I've never had to pay for parking in Uptown.

Chicagoland and Charlotte are both beautiful and full of pretty friendly people. Chicago gets a lot more snow...and the temperatures seem more extreme overall...but neither have Phoenix's miserable heat.

Alghough many of the Chicago suburbs are very community-focused with a small town feel, It kind of has that urban sprawl feel that we have here in Phoenix, and that LA/OC has on the west coast. I like that Charlotte is a decent sized city so access to both your town/village community and the Charlotte city community seem more accessible.

Good things about Charlotte...
green, affordable, beautiful, better schools (it's all relative), less traffic (same), access to beach, mountains, D.C. (7 hours and $56 by train!), international airport (Rome is only an 8 hour flight!), fall leaves.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 AM

35,881 posts, read 73,856,331 times
Charlotte is a great place to live if you want to go other places. I love the mountains, and like to head to Boone/Blowing Rock which is 2 hours and 15 mins or so from my house. I also like going to Charleston, SC.

It is nice having lakes nearby.

The airport is a big draw for business and a huge convenience for residents.

My family and my long family history is here and that is interesting (for me) as I am into genealogy.

Although healthcare here is over-priced in comparison with many areas of the country, we have excellent healthcare options. That is a real plus.

Shopping is robust; if you can't find it here you probably aren't looking in the right places. Same for groceries.

The best part of living here may be the weather, but I like to think it is the people. I love being around other Southerners, but have a wonderful group of friends who have moved here from elsewhere (mostly NJ and NY). If you can't meet people and make friends here, you either are not living in the right area or you aren't trying! So I would say - Charlotte has attracted wonderful folks - including retirees. And that may be the very best part of living here.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 PM

3,905 posts, read 6,244,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug71 View Post
LOL, I spent much of the summer in the Chicago 'burbs. Parking in the city was $50 if you wanted to go and not be tied to a train schedule! I've never had to pay for parking in Uptown.

Chicagoland and Charlotte are both beautiful and full of pretty friendly people. Chicago gets a lot more snow...and the temperatures seem more extreme overall...but neither have Phoenix's miserable heat.

Alghough many of the Chicago suburbs are very community-focused with a small town feel, It kind of has that urban sprawl feel that we have here in Phoenix, and that LA/OC has on the west coast. I like that Charlotte is a decent sized city so access to both your town/village community and the Charlotte city community seem more accessible.

Good things about Charlotte...
green, affordable, beautiful, better schools (it's all relative), less traffic (same), access to beach, mountains, D.C. (7 hours and $56 by train!), international airport (Rome is only an 8 hour flight!), fall leaves.
Easy travelbug71! I have to agree with everything you mentioned in the last paragraph, though. I lived there 14 years ago and am amazed at how much the city has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte