Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:09 AM

221 posts, read 357,728 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that many members of the Charlotte forum are unhappy with this city
for example many people have said it has no class or there are not enough good restaurants
or you will never be able to handle the heat in the summer or the taxes are the highest in the country,
or that Charlotte is a dead end city with no jobs .

Can this all be true ?
Are the negative opinions on this forum about Charlotte the opinions of everyone down here ?

where are the people who love Charlotte ?

Are there any good things about Charlotte ?
Could you guys please make a list of what you like about Charlotte and why you want to live here ?

Last edited by chicagobears; 11-04-2012 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 06:15 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Great weather.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 AM

221 posts, read 357,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Great weather.
that's it just the weather ? there must be some other reasons you like living in Charlotte .

Old 11-04-2012, 06:25 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
That's about it.

Certainly when you've lived/visited other places. There is no real baseball, the museums change their exhibits annually and are quite small; (in fairness, the area is pretty small to support a decent museum), the original architecture is gone (they tear down city buildings after they are 10 years old, usually), unless you like to drive for your entertainment or are really the outdoorsy type, there is not much to do. Initially, there seems to be a lot to do, but, after a few years, it really gets old.

Jobs are hard to come by and the pay scale is abysmal. Of course, there are no unions, so, this is a right to work state, which means that you have (literally) no rights. They can (and sometimes do) fire you for no reason.

People will say that the proximity to the mountains & the ocean are benefits. In Chicago, you have the immediate proximity to the lake and within a couple of hours, Wisconsin. Ok, maybe the Wisconsin hills are not quite Appalachia, but, unless you are a huge fan of mountains, it really should not matter that much; skiing is still available. From a landscape perspective, there is pretty much nothing here that is not available within the same amount of time (or close, depending upon where you are) in the Chicago-area.

Last edited by chicagocubs; 11-04-2012 at 06:40 AM..

Old 11-04-2012, 06:46 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
It' seems to me that many members of the Charlotte forum are unhappy with this city
for example many people have said it has no class or there are not enough good restaurants
or you will never be able to handle the heat in the summer or the taxes are the highest in the country,

Can this all be true ?
Are the negative opinions on this forum about Charlotte the opinions of everyone down here ?

Could you guys please make a list of what you like about Charlotte and why you want to live here ?
I guess I'm one of the naysayers that are still left in Charlotte. Charlotte is great for affordable housing and raising families. PERIOD. Yes there is plenty of humidity in the summertime and Yes North Carolina will tax the #$%@ out of you, even your vehicle. And also due the financial fiasco, yes the bottom is still falling out in the banking sector. I know I work in banking. We have executives jumping ship left and right leaving and moving on to better opportunities(in other states). Charlotte basically got *screwed* for relying on just one industry for this city. But I will say the city is now trying to diversify the workforce by recruiting companies.....But again, little bit too late.... I will admit, my opinion may be skewed because I love the LA/Orange County/San Diego area.(that's where family is). It just kills me that people say that Charlotte is great for singles/nightlife., when its not...Compared to the LA area.....Im sorry its just not...If you're planning on moving here, I strongly suggest that you visit.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Quote:
that's it just the weather ? there must be some other reasons you like living in Charlotte .
It's a nice enough place to live, but I don't love it here, so I'm just trying to say the positive things you are looking for. The weather is absolutely what has kept me from leaving so far. I'm by no means miserable here, nor do I think it's some awful place to live, so don't read into it any more than that. The weather is amazing.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
The things I like about Charlotte:

Weather
Great place for kids
Things aren't spread out (I'm from the DC area and most things are spread out)
Low cost housing
Friendly people
sports teams (I like the fact that there are minor league teams - hockey,baseball)

Old 11-04-2012, 08:39 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
It seems to me that many members of the Charlotte forum are unhappy with this city

Can this all be true ?

If you think that 2.2 MM people living in the Charlotte Metro think so terribly about Charlotte yet continue to work, live and play here then I'd advise you to step away from the internet

These forums are notorious for bringing out the bearish sorts. These are obviously opinions held by the minority, and the only place for such dimly held views are anonymous message boards. As a "newbie" here you don't yet have the insight to know who among your pool are prone to negativity and histrionics. Stick around for a while and form your own opinion.

But really, when it comes to a city or locale or culture or people, it doesn't matter what a million people feel if it's not how YOU feel. If you like a place, who cares who hates it? If you hate a place would it matter if 10MM people felt otherwise? Choose your own adventure, listen to your own song. Don't rely on subjective musings to form your opinion for you.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Last Night went to a halloween party with people from Michigan, NJ,NY, Mecklenburg Cty natives, Alabama, & Ohio...

We are all friends and had a kick arse time....needed advil this morning for obvious reasons...

I tend to suspect that if you are miserable, that will not change no matter where you live.

I love the friends that I've made and all the other benefits of NC are a bonus...thats how I look at things...

Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Why I like Charlotte:

My husband's job is here.

Otherwise, I would rather live in Raleigh, Charleston, Asheville, Wilmington, or Marietta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte