Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:55 PM

27 posts, read 59,209 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are planning on relocating in June. Maybe sooner if my husband gets job he just interviewed for..
I have narrowed it down to Davidson, Mooresville....What is the main difference between the two?

I have a daughter in high school and she is very academic. My son is nine and plays football and Lacrosse.
Does anyone know if there is Lacrosse in these towns? How is the football reputation??

I just want to live in a nice family town..budget is 350 to 400.

ANy other towns I should check out. The job my husband is interviewing for is in Davidson. BUT he might not get it andwe could move first and find job later if need be..

Also when do schools start around these towns?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-12-2012 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 05:11 AM

221 posts, read 357,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Fichter View Post
Hello,
We are planning on relocating in June. Maybe sooner if my husband gets job he just interviewed for..
I have narrowed it down to Davidson, Mooresville....What is the main difference between the two?

I have a daughter in high school and she is very academic. My son is nine and plays football and Lacrosse.
Does anyone know if there is Lacrosse in these towns? How is the football reputation??

I just want to live in a nice family town..budget is 350 to 400.

ANy other towns I should check out. The job my husband is interviewing for is in Davidson. BUT he might not get it andwe could move first and find job later if need be..

Also when do schools start around these towns?
I would not move and buy a home unless he has the job for sure.
I looked at many homes with relator around lake Norman and I like the area at the top of the lake.
I guess that's closer to Mooresville.

I found threads you should look at
HELP !!!!! Work in Davidson - Cornelius vs Mooresville (Both ...‎ - Aug 5, 2012
Mooresville vs. Huntersville and their schools? (Charlotte ...‎ - Oct 5, 2012

Last edited by chicagobears; 11-11-2012 at 05:25 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
I looked at many homes with relator around lake Norman and I like the area at the top of the lake.

DITTO to what C-Bears said. Make sure you have a job in place before you make the move.

Personally, I would stay to the east side of I-77. Your commute to & from Davidson would be much easier. Davidson is in Mecklenberg County, so you would be in Meck Cty schools (there is a small section of Davidson that is in Mooresville schools) Mooresville for the most part would be in the Mooresville Graded School Dist. east of I-77. Otherwise they would be part of Iredell/Statesville school district. (Confused yet? lol) The school year here starts late Aug & runs to 1st week in June. My son played LAX for MHS, charter team member. He graduated in 2010, so that gives you an idea as to how new the sport is to schools. There are some club teams as well, have been for awhile. Not sure if it's in the public middle schools yet, but LAX is quickly catching on in NC. We now have a MLL team Charlotte Hounds. There are several private schools in the area as well. Football still rules here.

There are several nice subdivisions in the area in your price range. Lots to look at.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I live on the east side of Mooresville for 6 yrs now. Originally from NY. Good Luck!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:51 AM

80 posts, read 170,622 times
Either Mooresville or Davidson would fit the bill. Both have nice historic downtown areas, both are close to shopping and both are within a reasonable distance of Charlotte if you have the need to go there often.
The home values are quite a bit better in Mooresville than Davidson and you will get more for your money.
Davidson is a small town that is part of a large school district (CMS) and Mooresville (28115, at least) is a very small district (MGSD) with only one high school. Both would offer similar sports programs and academic opportunities, but the general feel of the areas are a little different. Mooresville tends to stand alone as it's own town while Huntersville/Corenelius/Davidson area tends to feel more like a suburb of Charlotte. I realize with the rate of growth the entire Lake Norman area probably falls under that description, but that is the way it feels to me especially on the east side of Mooresville.
Within Mooresville there are two distinct sides and two school districts which is another issue to study and with your price point you could comfortably look at either side. As BxRosie pointed out, looking at 28115 (east of 77) might be to your advantage.
For your price range my favorite neighborhoods would be Northbridge which falls to the MGSD side of Mooresville and Anniston which falls to the ISS schools side of Mooresville, but is located just north of Davidson.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:53 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,235 times
Davidson seems like much more of a community than Mooresville. Davidson is also better if you like a place where you can walk to things. It's more tight-knit, but not exclusive. People talk to people and know each other but are welcoming to newcomers. There are always events in the downtown near the college every weekend and people walking.

Mooresville to me is much more "any suburb" USA with a lot more chain restaurants and a dead downtown. It also seems like crime would be more of an issue there than in Davidson.

Cornelius is more suburban as well, but you have less of the redneck vibe that sometimes exists in Mooresville.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:30 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,896,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post

Chicago, don't elliminate Cornelius. The difference is this: Mooresville is new and has lots of Walmart types living there but nevertheless is a diverse town. Traffic is horrible, especially on weekends.

Davidson is really overpriced and pretentuous. It is full of soccer moms and fake liberals.

Cornelius has the working rich, big homes, the lake and parks, homes for most prices including what you mentioned (a nice home can be bought), more restaurants, bars, and shopping than Davidson, frendlier people. It is closer to Charlotte and next to Birkdale that has lots of shopping, etc. Move there and you can join my bar hoping socian group that meets weekly. Oh yea, we have the famous Saeed's bar as well. There is also a Chicago fan bar in town.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 PM

221 posts, read 357,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Chicago, don't elliminate Cornelius. The difference is this: Mooresville is new and has lots of Walmart types living there but nevertheless is a diverse town. Traffic is horrible, especially on weekends.

Davidson is really overpriced and pretentuous. It is full of soccer moms and fake liberals.

Cornelius has the working rich, big homes, the lake and parks, homes for most prices including what you mentioned (a nice home can be bought), more restaurants, bars, and shopping than Davidson, frendlier people. It is closer to Charlotte and next to Birkdale that has lots of shopping, etc. Move there and you can join my bar hoping socian group that meets weekly. Oh yea, we have the famous Saeed's bar as well. There is also a Chicago fan bar in town.
ok thanks , I found a house in Cornelius near the lake that I love, but it came down to the price.
and I like the homes with the boat docks and quiet streets ,I will keep looking around the lake for sure. After we make the move I will join your bar hoping group.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Oh yea, we have the famous Saeed's bar as well.
Is that the place in the Sunoco station? That's a (famous) bar?

Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
I am no expert on comparing these places, but PLEASE MERCIFUL HEAVEN, can someone correct the spelling for CORNELIUS in the title?

Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM

415 posts, read 1,150,371 times
You should really get a handle on where your primary commuting will be from and to.

All the lake communities are very nice. However, if you are "going with the flow" (south on 77 in the morning, north in the evening) the traffic gets pretty bad at exit 23 (Huntersville), and stays bad up through Mooresville (exits 33 and 36).

If you don't have to do that commute, then you'll be OK just about anywhere. It is not easy to avoid I-77 if you are traveling between Mooresville/Davidson and Charlotte. Cornelius is a bit easier, and so is Huntersville.

High school for Cornelius and Davidson will be Hough High, which while in CMS is a good school. Huntersville is a mixed bag, split between North Meck (not so good), Hopewell (not so good), and Hough. Lacrosse is pretty popular in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte