Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:06 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,741,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Indeed. If they decide to impose a special tax over certain counties it's completely in their Constitutional power to do so. If they want to then pass that money over to another county this is completely within their power as well.

Charlotte has been held back from these sorts of things in the past because the makeup of the state government wasn't particularly friendly to this city. Now that a much more Charlotte business friendly government has been elected, the powers to be in Charlotte, it seems, are going to try and take advantage of it. I've seen this sort of thing many times. Someone drops a hint with a innocent sounding proposal and the next time someone looks, it's a done deal.

This time it's our good "neighbors" who get to share in the experience. Welcome to the club.
They absolutely have the power to impose special taxes, I don't disagree with you there.

The question I have is the political one, and if it ever happens ("if"), what will be negotiated...that's what I've said from the beginning.

The devil will be in the details as is everything political..lol

Its not law or anywhere near seriously going to happen anytime soon like Native one said, so for now its all fodder until we hear more out of Charlotte and the Panthers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 04:17 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,979,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
The question I have is the political one, and if it ever happens ("if"), what will be negotiated...that's what I've said from the beginning..
I'll ask this again. What possibly do they need to negotiate if the General Assembly decides to pass a new tax? They don't have to get permission from anyone.

The local's only recourse is to complain to their local representatives to the NC GA and to the governor.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,558,234 times
Quote:
Indeed. If they decide to impose a special tax over certain counties it's completely in their Constitutional power to do so. If they want to then pass that money over to another county this is completely within their power as well.

Charlotte has been held back from these sorts of things in the past because the makeup of the state government wasn't particularly friendly to this city. Now that a much more Charlotte business friendly government has been elected, the powers to be in Charlotte, it seems, are going to try and take advantage of it. I've seen this sort of thing many times. Someone drops a hint with a innocent sounding proposal and the next time someone looks, it's a done deal.

This time it's our good "neighbors" who get to share in the experience. Welcome to the club.
FREW - I know we dont' always agree, but on this one . . . I will go on the record and say right now . . . if Richardson boo hoos about the stadium needing improvements or he will pull his team out . . . money will magically turn up to keep him happy. How it will happen, or when . . . who knows. Maybe some special fund exists out there in State Budget Land that will allow the GA to appropriate monies to the stadium. I have no clue. All i know is . . . if it is deemed by those in power that keeping the team in Charlotte is important enough to throw tax dollars at it . . . then it will happen.

Oh - and to the suggestion that the panthers' name be changed to Charlotte Panthers. No way, Jose. Part of the rationale for throwing state $$$ at the stadium will be that it serves so much more than Charlotte - they are the "state's" team. I would be glad to place bets on that one.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,658,782 times
I was on another thread where we were saying the first thing that came into our minds about a states name and someone mentioned the Panthers as reminding them of South Carolina.

I am thinking local areas have to get permission from the general assembly to add taxes that are not property. If tax money is used, one would think it wise to do a hotel tax so those paying the tax might be using the product.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,729,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't think they understand the power of this legislature, either.

And i don't think they understand the tax revenue process in this state - at all.

I don't know how to make it more clear than this: all the money goes into a pot. The GA decides how it will be distributed. That is overly simplified but that is how it basically works.

I would say - "Folks, you are not in Kansas any more" but seeing as how the Kansas state tax revenue system is very similar to NC's . . . that statement isn't appropriate, lol. I don't know how such states as NJ and NY and Florida, etc. handle their tax revenue. Maybe it is - whatever is raised in a municipality stays in that municipality. I have no clue. But I do know how this state's system works.

And the GA can appropriate whatever money they wish to appropriate for whatever cause, institution, entity - whatever - as they see fit.
Ani, All money goes to Trenton in NJ, & the legislature & governor send most of it to North Jersey & throw the crumbs to South Jersey.

A city wage tax can be an interstate tax. Everyone from anywhere who works in Philly pay the wage tax. Non residents pay less. Because it's an interstate tax, dinging non residents, that money goes to defray costs for police, firemen, & trash removal. Because that money is coming in, it allows the city to find money in the budget for baubles.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,558,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, All money goes to Trenton in NJ, & the legislature & governor send most of it to North Jersey & throw the crumbs to South Jersey.

A city wage tax can be an interstate tax. Everyone from anywhere who works in Philly pay the wage tax. Non residents pay less. Because it's an interstate tax, dinging non residents, that money goes to defray costs for police, firemen, & trash removal. Because that money is coming in, it allows the city to find money in the budget for baubles.
Yes, we dealt with these "border issues" when I was in Kansas (b/n Kansas and Missouri). There was always a lot of rhetoric back and forth about "use" - how much folks on the Kansas side of the border were actually using all the Missouri (Kansas City) resources. I guess that is the type of discussion that never ends!

I am not surprised to hear that the big bucks go to northern NJ.

Things have changed in this state. Used to be (b/c of tobacco) that all the "good stuff" went to the Raleigh area (you would think it would have gone to W-S - w/ RJR - but Raleigh always managed to sew it up b/c of eastern NC tobacco farmers/legislators). Now that Charlotte is the big city . . . we should be able to rightfully demand more revenue be returned for projects in this part of the state, but I would HATE to see it squandered on that stadium.

Oh - you didn't mention this - but someone else did - in re: to raising taxes. An existing tax can be made higher, too . . . doesn't even take much paper and hardly any legislative action to make that happen.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,729,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, we dealt with these "border issues" when I was in Kansas (b/n Kansas and Missouri). There was always a lot of rhetoric back and forth about "use" - how much folks on the Kansas side of the border were actually using all the Missouri (Kansas City) resources. I guess that is the type of discussion that never ends!

I am not surprised to hear that the big bucks go to northern NJ.

Things have changed in this state. Used to be (b/c of tobacco) that all the "good stuff" went to the Raleigh area (you would think it would have gone to W-S - w/ RJR - but Raleigh always managed to sew it up b/c of eastern NC tobacco farmers/legislators). Now that Charlotte is the big city . . . we should be able to rightfully demand more revenue be returned for projects in this part of the state, but I would HATE to see it squandered on that stadium.

Oh - you didn't mention this - but someone else did - in re: to raising taxes. An existing tax can be made higher, too . . . doesn't even take much paper and hardly any legislative action to make that happen.
Well, the fly in the ointment of explaining things with the Philly wage tax is Philly. It's ruled by the city charter (That's right, William Penn's charter ) & there's a strange & mysterious relationship between the city & the Commonwealth.. I do know that wage taxes have to meet federal standards, because they tax non-residents earning income in the city.

The wage tax was discussed enough, over the years, that I do know that it can't be the stadium tax or the build a park tax, but when it's put towards essential services. that are also used by non residents, it's legal. I remember, years ago, when some non-residents tried to fight it in court.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:30 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,825,996 times
Quote:
The NC Legislature can pass any tax that it likes. The authorities you cite below are from statutes passed by the NC Legislature. They can change those statutes at will.

Beyond that, I was unable to follow whatever it is you posted. It didn't make much sense.

The authority of the NC Legislature comes from the NC State Constitution. Maybe if you read this, and can cite something that says they can't pass taxes on counties without their permission, you might have something.
Well, since it seems you have a reading comprehension problem, I’ll break it down for you:

Quote:
The NC Legislature can pass any tax that it likes. The authorities you cite below are from statutes passed by the NC Legislature. They can change those statutes at will.
Yes, the NC Legislature can pass any tax it likes, but the Legislature is not a singular “thing”. It’s made up of people, most of whom don’t represent the county of Mecklenburg. If the representatives from Mecklenburg put forth the idea that they want the surrounding areas to help pay for a specific county project, like a park or improvements to the Bank of America Stadium, well, just because they propose it, the representatives of the surrounding areas don’t just roll over and say, “Well, OK, whatever you want – motion passed”. The representatives from Union, Gaston have to report back to the people they represent, who will tell them “vote against that or we won’t vote for you in the next election.”

Quote:
Beyond that, I was unable to follow whatever it is you posted. It didn't make much sense.
Since you never clear up what you previously posted and only point others to hunt through pages of posts to find what you said, I’ll bring it down here - but it makes my post longer.

In post #6 you said to CouponJack “When the original Mecklenburg hotel/motel tax was authorized by the NC Legislature, Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Pineville, Mint Hill & Matthews had to turn over the tax collected in their jurisdictions to Charlotte in order to pay for the Charlotte Convention Center” and in #9 “One NC jurisdiction was taxed and the proceeds were turned over to be controlled by another NC jurisdiction” in regards to the hotel tax.

Here’s the comprehension problem part – CouponJack said it IS relevant that those towns are in Mecklenburg County, you said it wasn’t. Now I just posted that Huntersville and Mathews defer tax collection to Mecklenburg County. So at least in those towns, 1) they didn’t not have to turn over the tax collected in their jurisdictions to Charlotte taxes because they don’t even collect them, 2) the tax goes to the county, not Charlotte and 3) apparently in all of the towns, the county can and does have the authority to tax those jurisdictions as they are still part of the county.

Is that simple enough for you to understand?

Quote:
The authority of the NC Legislature comes from the NC State Constitution. Maybe if you read this, and can cite something that says they can't pass taxes on counties without their permission, you might have something.
Again, the NC Legislature is made of people, all looking out for the best interests of their district’s constituents. Maybe if you had the ability to parse an idea, you’d know the difference between what the county can do and what the reality of a situation is. The people of the counties surrounding Mecklenburg aren’t going to sit back and let THEIR representatives vote “yea” on a tax that goes to pay for a county project in another county.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
You don't have to look far. This is from the the current Union County budget.
The County has also entered into an agreement with the City of Charlotte (CMUD) for the treatment of wastewater in the Six Mile Creek drainage basin located within both Union and Mecklenburg Counties. Under the agreement, the County (Union County) is responsible for one sixteenth of the debt service on debt issued by the City of Charlotte to construct the new outfall lines and plant expansion and any capital maintenance thereto.
This plant in question is the McAlpine Wastewater Treatment Plant which is located entirely within Charlotte/Mecklenburg county.
Sorry, I think you are the one who will have to look a little father. You conveniently cherry picked the text in an attempt to try and make your point. But if you read the whole section of the Union County budget, you see that Union County and CMUD entered into a contract.
The county has also entered into a 25 year agreement with the City of Charlotte (CMUD) for the treatment of wastewater in the Six Mile Creek drainage basin located within both Union and Mecklenburg Counties. Under the agreement, the county is responsible for one sixteenth of the debt service on debt issued by the City of Charlotte to construct the new outfall lines and plant expansion. During fiscal year 2002, the City of Charlotte completed an additional expansion project related to this agreement and the county’s share of this project is $1,765,000. In consideration for the debt service payments made by the county, the county receives the exclusive right to convey up to 1 million gallons per day of wastewater into the McAlpine Creek WWTP at cost.
To break it down to basics for you, Union County is paying CMUD to dump up to 1 million gallons per day of wastewater into the McAlpine Creek WWTP at cost (this means no mark up). Even simpler - CMUD get money, Union County get rid of waste water. This is a contact. This is far different than Union County paying a “tax” to Mecklenburg for improvements at McAlpine Creek WWTP.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I'll ask this again. What possibly do they need to negotiate if the General Assembly decides to pass a new tax? They don't have to get permission from anyone.

The local's only recourse is to complain to their local representatives to the NC GA and to the governor.
Is the General Assembly one person, or is a group of people, some of whom are from the counties surronding Mecklenburg? This is the part you are not getting. People from the counties surronding Mecklenburg will be in the room too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte