U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 AM

156 posts, read 292,732 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I must begin by thanking the forum for all of your help with info concerning Charlotte and Union County. We learned a lot by many of the posts and replies.

I also learned to be a bit nervous because of so many posts concerning crime in Charlotte. <<not sure if I should be concerned about moving to Union County but SO many posts about robberies, break-ins,etc have left me feeling apprehensive instead of excited.

I'm leaving a quaint, safe area and venturing out...Now I wonder...should I stay???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM

35,881 posts, read 73,383,507 times
Are you moving to Union County?

Come on down.

I knew the crime rate before I moved back here and it was a turn off. I came from one of the lowest crime areas in the nation with one of the highest standards of living (Johnson County, Kansas). Beautiful neighborhoods, wonderful law enforcement. I was sick knowing I was moving back into this (by comparison) crime-infested city.

I have been here 10 years and avoided the thugs thus far. Of course, I don't spend time in areas that are prone to crime and I am careful even in my low-crime neighborhood - we have a good neighborhood watch going on!

So just choose a low crime area to live and you will be fine.

I know a lot of folks who have moved here from LI . . . they all seem to be happy with life here! So come on down!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 AM

156 posts, read 292,732 times
The plan is to move to Union County...which seems pretty safe in comparison to Charlotte.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 PM

35,881 posts, read 73,383,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
The plan is to move to Union County...which seems pretty safe in comparison to Charlotte.
You will be fine.

And further, I feel sure you will like it here. Sure, there will be some adjustments! But I do not think crime should be the factor that dissuades you from moving here. Truly! Read what other folks say about moving here from LI. People have adjusted well and like it here overall.

As long as you aren't spending time hanging out in the known high crime areas . . . your chances for being a victim of crime are probably no higher than where you live right now.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM
NDL

4,102 posts, read 4,871,749 times
I'd say that many areas in Union County are *safer* than exclusive areas on the North Shore.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 PM

429 posts, read 757,811 times
Are crime rates high in Union County? All I've seen are cars being broken into when they are left unlocked, at least where I've been living. I moved here from a small, safe town up north, and I feel just as safe here.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 AM

177 posts, read 426,185 times
You have to realize that most of the people posting on this forum are disgruntled and want to point out only the bad things about Charlotte. Just as in any other city- stay out of the "bad" areas and you will be fine. I really can't think of even one time I've been in a bad area or witnessed anything criminal the whole time I've lived here. It's a great family town and can be nice and quiet if you want that type of lifestyle. We moved here from the middle of nowhere KY (very safe area) 7 years ago and have never felt unsafe.

I hate that people potentially moving here will check this forum and get the wrong idea just because a few people want to complain. There are so many more people who think that Charlotte is great; they just aren't posting here about it.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:13 AM

221 posts, read 336,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafish41 View Post
You have to realize that most of the people posting on this forum are disgruntled and want to point out only the bad things about Charlotte.

I hate that people potentially moving here will check this forum and get the wrong idea just because a few people want to complain. There are so many more people who think that Charlotte is great; they just aren't posting here about it.
Agree more than 100%
wow powerful statement

you might want to look at this

Good things about Charlotte ? ( 1 2 3 4)

Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 AM

6,065 posts, read 9,464,283 times
If you're willing to share where you're coming from on LI, those of us from LI can help give you some context... Imagine for a moment that someone was reading about Wyandanch and Hempstead thinking that defined LI.

Your biggest hurdle will likely be a separation anxiety type reaction where you over emphasize the bad and look for reasons to be unhappy after a relocation. Along those lines you need to properly set your expectations when moving. Comparing anyplace to childhood memories of the "suburban utopia" that LI was decades ago will just cause grief in the long run.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 AM

221 posts, read 336,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If you're willing to share where you're coming from on LI, those of us from LI can help give you some context... Imagine for a moment that someone was reading about Wyandanch and Hempstead thinking that defined LI.

Your biggest hurdle will likely be a separation anxiety type reaction where you over emphasize the bad and look for reasons to be unhappy after a relocation. Along those lines you need to properly set your expectations when moving. Comparing anyplace to childhood memories of the "suburban utopia" that LI was decades ago will just cause grief in the long run.

Good luck!
"separation anxiety type reaction where you over emphasize the bad and look for reasons to be unhappy after a relocation"

I have found that when you are not alone and you surround yourself with family & friends
this makes the relocation process go smoother.
remember you will find the good people and they will find you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte