U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 AM

372 posts, read 591,138 times

Advertisements

Wanted to hear other opinions on this:

Smartphones and tablets are in at CMS | CharlotteObserver.com

One of my concerns is what will happen when a child is bullied into giving up his tablet, or if it becomes "missing" while the child is outside the room for lunch, recess, etc. Will CMS accept responsibility for this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 AM

2,300 posts, read 3,963,360 times
I think it will be a big distraction they now have to deal with and it will not end up well. Plus the fact that kids will loose, destroy them.

Our kids at MR get a school laptop (loaded with school manuals) they take home everyday and only use for homework. The laptop is school property and will be returned at the end of the year (if destroyed/lost, it is parents responsibility to pay for it).
They are not allowed to have their phones powered on at any time in school. If they do and get caught, it will be taken away and only the parents can take it back from school. Same goes for iPads, iPods etc.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 AM

359 posts, read 527,908 times
It is discriminatory against those children without. All children without should be given one by the local government so they start on a level playing field.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:27 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,039,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
It is discriminatory against those children without. All children without should be given one by the local government so they start on a level playing field.
My thought on this new policy was exactly your first sentence. I can just see some kids bringing their iPhones and iPads to school (with data plans) while others come in for free lunch and can't afford the latest and greatest (if any) technology. This disparity is so obvious I don't understand how they could announce a new, take-your-technology to school program without addressing it.

However, to me it does not necessarily follow that it is the responsibility of local government to supply every child without.

(And while it wasn't my first thought, stolen expensive devices could become a major problem.)

Old 11-21-2012, 12:41 PM

372 posts, read 591,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post

(And while it wasn't my first thought, stolen expensive devices could become a major problem.)
My thought exactly!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:51 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,158,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I think it will be a big distraction they now have to deal with and it will not end up well. Plus the fact that kids will loose, destroy them.

Our kids at MR get a school laptop (loaded with school manuals) they take home everyday and only use for homework. The laptop is school property and will be returned at the end of the year (if destroyed/lost, it is parents responsibility to pay for it).
They are not allowed to have their phones powered on at any time in school. If they do and get caught, it will be taken away and only the parents can take it back from school. Same goes for iPads, iPods etc.
Mine at MR takes his tablet to school everyday, some in his class bring kindles, nooks, etc... they do their reading material on it.

I'm still confused about what they use their laptops for. Other than checking moodle pages and using WORD on it, I haven't seen any great use of it for the amount of money spent on it. So far, homework pages can be downloaded (which for us, has been photocopied worksheets on a pdf files), but then he still has to put in on his USB drive to print it off my computer... seems to me if we are spending tens of thousands on laptops, they should have interactive homework they can answer right on the laptop so they don't need a notebook. Most kids can check internet and have word processing programs at home... I thought we were going to have text books and some great interactive programs on it.... so far, I haven't seen that and am somewhat dissapointed in their use.

But by allowing kids to bring their own, I suppose that allows the school to purchase a limited amount of devices, and let the kids without them use them.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:51 PM

494 posts, read 741,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
However, to me it does not necessarily follow that it is the responsibility of local government to supply every child without.

I have to disagree with you. It sounds to me that these will become a part of the educational experience. If that's the case, then the school should supply a minimum standard of technology. If they are not going to be part of the experience, then why have them at school in the first place? Just a huge distraction waiting to be stolen.

Edit: i see they addressed it in the article, but I still stand by my statement. This is not and symbol of differing levels of affluence like clothes or shoes. These are things being incorporated into the education process. Different kids don't get different books or desks.

Just asking for trouble, methinks.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:27 PM

3,184 posts, read 6,274,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post

One of my concerns is what will happen when a child is bullied into giving up his tablet, or if it becomes "missing" while the child is outside the room for lunch, recess, etc. Will CMS accept responsibility for this?
Why should CMS baby sit the phone.....Leave it at home if the kid cant take care of it. Kids dont need them at school anyway when WE ALL KNOW they will spend more time playing with them than using them for school work,,

Old 11-21-2012, 05:51 PM

196 posts, read 391,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post

My child is at one of the schools mentioned in the article and pilot school for BYOT, Bring Your Own Teacher, oops...I mean Bring your own technology. Either way you look at it, a release was sent home that had to be signed by both, parent and student, acknowledging that CMS will not accept responsiblilty for theft, loss, damage, etc. Students were denied use of there tablets if brought to school if this form was not signed.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:13 PM

689 posts, read 1,490,537 times
Like it or not...it is the way things are going. I realize there are a lot of questions to be answered, procedures to be ironed out, etc. but with all of the new programs and support offered at schools today, this is how all students can get access to the technology. Schools just can't keep up with the computers in education today.

And let's face it, most students have access to some sort of technology today...and they keep up with them. Most students don't let those things out of their site...they even sleep with them.

As far as technology replacing teachers, that will never happen. There are AMAZING things going on in the classroom today with technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: